Massage oil/cream

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkiichiicka

Reaction score
I'm doing my NVQ at the moment and I'm not keen on the oil we have to use for hand and arm massage. Please could you recommend something else I could use in replacement? Something that would be okay for sensitive skin? Thank you :)

Almond oil is nice. You only need a bit - or most warehouses make their own massage oil which all smell slightly different.

Wouldn't recommend baby oil for a professional service myself.

I use kaeso geranium oil. Clients always comment on how lovely it smells. Personally I think baby oil would be a familiar and soothing scent but would prob decant into something other than the bottle as it would seem a bit basic? Silly I know.

DONT MASSAGE WITH BABY OIL!!!
Flipping eck is the worse thing you can put on your skin, it doesn't soften the skin it just sits on top blocking the pores as it's a mineral oil.
It shouldn't even be used on babies imo

We use grapeseed oil, its odourless and does the job perfectly x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you all so much for the replies!

My mom actually said baby oil too but I wasn't sure about the strong smell, even though I think it smells nice ha, but I think I will try the grapeseed oil. :)

Omg if I went for a professional massage and they used baby oil I'd be shocked, whether its in the johnsons bottle or a dispenser I'm pretty sure I'd recognise the smell. Like someone said before baby oil is a mineral oil and comedogenic, wiping the skin afterwards will not be sufficient to remove it. To the OP please don't start using it, I would recommend grape seed oil, almond oil or coconut oil, but grapeseed is probably the most cost effective and also the least likely that somebody will have an allergy to. I hope this helps xxx

I use grapeseed oil as my hands react badly to almond oil.
I also bought some massage cream in case anyone prefers no oil but that flares up my hands too.
My advice would be - buy small sizes and try till you get what suits you and your clients

MissyMuffin - what massage cream do you think would be good?

I am personally very surprised that a professional therapist would use baby oil. There are so many different massage oils and mediums out there to choose from, why choose baby oil. If I was paying £50 for a full body massage I would not be impressed to receive the treatment with baby oil!
I personally use grapeseed oil, which is odourless and not too greasy. It absorbs into the skin nicely.hth

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

MissyMuffin - what massage cream do you think would be good?

Hi. I've discovered I react to lanolin so I'd make sure there isn't any lanolin content. When I find a brand that I could confidently recommend I'll let you know :)

Latest posts

Back