Massage tailored for pregnant ladies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlene1983

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently Mobile and based in a shop mainly doing nails and tans etc.
I am trained in massage and do the odd one however I have had an enquiry for a massage tailored to a pregnant lady.
When I was spa based I used to do a espa pre natal treatment which included body wrap etc.
I'm currently using Dermalogica but don't get many body treatments in.
Do any of you have your own pre natal treatment and any advice on what I can offer?
Thanks

Hi! Will you be performing the treatment mobile or in your shop? Do you have a couch? I've trained with Elemis & Gerrards mother to be massages and they're both lovely treatments to do. The Elemis one we do on a beanbag with large cushions so the client is in a slightly upright position an nice a comfy. Both ways train you to perform the back massage with the client lying sideways. It's really important to either give them a boomerang cushion or a pillow for between their legs whilst they're in this position! You would do half of the back and back/side of leg move onto the other side and do their hand and arm then repeat in the other side. Turn them onto their back an do the feet and finish on the tummy ( always ask if they want their tummy doing) it's mainly just applying the oil rather than massaging. The Gerard's way is very similar except when you turn them onto their back you would do the front of the legs also, but this treatment is performed on the couch.

You have to be really careful with oils, Dermalogica do a clean massage base don't they? You could use that. Elemis do an amazing pregnancy oil called Japanese Camilla oil which is unblended and great for stretch marks. Gerard's do a lovely monoi Shea butter oil aswell. 😊

The only thing to be careful of which I'm sure you will already know is to do a really through consultation. Check for high/low blood pressure, complications/bleeding which trimester they're in ect. Hth x

Thank you- I have a couch for mobile bit as I also work from a beauty room I was thinking about bringing in like an Indian head massage frame or the bean bag idea sounds nice.
Yes dermalogica do a clean massage oil I'm just wondering if I should train to learn a proper technique for pregnant ladies or just tailor my own treatment to suit them- making it my own. Obviously sticking to thorough consultation and non aromatherapy oils etc.
Sometimes in this industry it feels like training never ends which I know is a good thing but some of it often is repeating what we have already been taught.
Thanks for the help

Loved reading your comment misslease :) I worked somewhere that offered elemis mother to be but never got to train in it but as someone who has a gerards account I'm hoping to do the mother to be training course with them. I don't know if I'll get many pregnant clients when working for myself but wanting to go back into a spa at a later date I think this sort of course will be a good option :)

Thank you- I have a couch for mobile bit as I also work from a beauty room I was thinking about bringing in like an Indian head massage frame or the bean bag idea sounds nice.
Yes dermalogica do a clean massage oil I'm just wondering if I should train to learn a proper technique for pregnant ladies or just tailor my own treatment to suit them- making it my own. Obviously sticking to thorough consultation and non aromatherapy oils etc.
Sometimes in this industry it feels like training never ends which I know is a good thing but some of it often is repeating what we have already been taught.
Thanks for the help

Amen to that! I love learning and I've got a lot of things covered over the last few years but there's always something else I want to know.

I wish one of the main awarding bodies like vtct offered a pregnancy massage qualification.

Do you still remember any of the movements to the espa treatment you did? With any mother to be treat it's mainly nice flowing efflarage movements to help relax and soothe. I'd definitely recommend finding a course to help to refresh you and learn some new movements. It's also good to know where not to massage in the first trimester and what areas to avoid if they do have high or low bp. There's some great movements in the Elemis one to help with the sciatic nerve and draining around feet and ankles if they're quite swollen.

Laurakate is definitely get in touch with your Gerard's rep, it's a great qualification to hold if your thinking about going back into a spa as I used to get a lot of pregnant ladies wanting massage and obviously not being able to have a regular massage! I even used to have a ladie that came back to me to have the pregnancy massage after she'd given birth because she liked it so much and found it much more comfortable than having a reg massage! 😊 xx

Thanks for the help

There's a bit more to proper pregnancy massage than learning techniques. However, if you just wish to give a pregnant lady a relaxing massage, then then you should be able to adapt your current techniques.

Latest posts

Back