Maternity leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBB79

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know there has been a lot of maternity questions on here recently ( congratulations fellow pregnant geeks ), I just can't find anything that answers my specific question.

I'm (very newly) pregnant with my 3rd baby. I rent a space above a hairdressers and work 3 days per week.

Now originally I thought I would take 8 weeks off and shut the salon down. the baby is due at the end of september and oct/nov will be my quite period anyway.

Then I panicked and thought I would work one day a week for those 8 weeks as you get 10 keeping in touch days.

But as my husband has pointed out, the baby will probably be early and labour will be fast (13 mins with the last one) so as I'm so unpredictable would it be better to get a therapist in to cover my maternity.

This is where my dilemma starts, do I employ as I don't want to really go down the whole employing route (too much hassle for 8 weeks). But then on the other hand they could work the days I don't and I could build up a little empire. (Do I want the hassle with a new baby).

Do I find a self employed person and take the risk of poaching??? And also I don't really get how that would work. Would they just take all the money as they'd be using my products etc.

Please please please can somebody throw some perspective and light on this???

My head Is officially a shed.

Thanks in advance xx

Hiya. Firstly, congratulations. I bet there's great excitement in your house. I have two girls and they were so excited to find out they were going to have a little sister (they had decided that the baby was a girl). All went a bit pear shaped when we found out it was a boy, lol.

Anyway, what I did was to shut up shop for 8 weeks. I explained everything to my clients, reassured them that I was definately coming back but I felt that I needed to have the time with my family. My little boy (now 3) was the most chilled out little fella but I didn't want to miss out on those precious first weeks with him. You'll never get that time back. I also wanted to be on hand to reassure my daughters. My daughters were 20 months and 3 1/2 at the time so they were still very young themselves so I felt that I needed to be at home with them. I'm glad I did coz I was exhausted and really don't feel that I could have gone to work even one day a week in the first few months. Everything worked out well. I didn't loose a single client.

I suppose it was a bit of a gamble but my clients were great and very supportive. I would say, if you are going to go down the "8 weeks off route" just be upfront and keep your clients informed.

Good luck and all the best.

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your reply. I'm still in shock that I'm expecting again ha ha. That wasn't covered in my business plan!!!

Really really looking forward to it though and like you say I really don't want to miss out on those precious moments. I feel I did with my 2nd as I was back two weeks later!!!

Also life can be unpredictable and I could end up with a section or something and the very last thing I want to do is mess my clients about.

I have some really lovely loyal clients and like you say they will totally understand. I guess I'm feeling pressure from the hairdressers as they keep telling me I'm mental to shut down for a period of time and it panicks me.

Oh what to do for the best......

Only me again, has anybody else had experience of employing whilst on mat leave or getting a self employed person in?? Xx

Hi I am currently on maternity leave, I rent a room above a hair salon too so rather similar to your situation. I have employed someone full time as I knew that I wanted to have 9 mnths - 1 yr off . I'm so glad I did, little one is 7 mnths now and I wouldn't want to of had to go bk early . I am planning on going bk just 1 day a week soon , so I can keep employee on as she is doing well.

Brilliant, thanks for replying.

Can I pick your brains a bit please, what are the most important things to put in place when employing?? Do I need to pay NI etc???

Thanks xxx

Hi, I was just wondering what are your working hours/days once you have had the 8 weeks off? Surely you can't do full time? I was just wondering with you working alone as I do and often wonder how I'd cope balancing the 2 together?

I like the sound of closing completely for 8 weeks though!

I wanted to do everything properly so took a bit of sorting out . I did contracts , company book, I have an accountant that sorts out my tax, paye and my employers tax. My insurance also went up quite a bit to put someone else on.

Thanks for the advise ill book a meeting with my accountant as a start then and take it from there :)

I work part time but do 12 hour days, my boys are already in school and have child care in place and the baby has a place with a childminder already when my 8 weeks are up.

I am fortunate to have an amazingly supportive husband and family.

It's not really the comming back to work after the baby that's my issue, that's the easy part.

It's the not knowing when the baby will pop out and when to finish work that's hard. If I had a guaranteed due date I'd probably shut down for 8 weeks to be honest :). But.... I don't have a crystal ball and I don't want to let my clients down so I think a temp is the way forward!!

Xx

Thanks for the advise ill book a meeting with my accountant as a start then and take it from there :)

I work part time but do 12 hour days, my boys are already in school and have child care in place and the baby has a place with a childminder already when my 8 weeks are up.

I am fortunate to have an amazingly supportive husband and family.

It's not really the comming back to work after the baby that's my issue, that's the easy part.

It's the not knowing when the baby will pop out and when to finish work that's hard. If I had a guaranteed due date I'd probably shut down for 8 weeks to be honest :). But.... I don't have a crystal ball and I don't want to let my clients down so I think a temp is the way forward!!

Xx

How are you getting on with your decision as I'm in exactly the same position as you. I have 2 yound children already and a third on the way (in my 3rd trimester) I said to clients I'll be coming back 2 weeks after the birth of the baby working 6 hours a day for 2 days (a total of 12 hours) but man proposes but only God disposes:):):)

Get an employee!! Start looking well in advance of you leaving; hopefully this will give you time to find a good therapist and train them the way you want! Take advantage of being your own boss and have the time with your family !!

Im meeting with my accountant today as im about to employ someone (have only ever had self employed) so will pass over any info to help. Just remind me !
(Im in getting ready for holiday mode! So might forget! )

Do not get a self employed in... could end in disaster!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Forgot to say a huge congratulations x

Get an employee!! Start looking well in advance of you leaving; hopefully this will give you time to find a good therapist and train them the way you want! Take advantage of being your own boss and have the time with your family !!

Im meeting with my accountant today as im about to employ someone (have only ever had self employed) so will pass over any info to help. Just remind me !
(Im in getting ready for holiday mode! So might forget! )

Do not get a self employed in... could end in disaster!

Thanks a lot Jujojones. I'll surely remind you. But in the meantime, what will you regarding booking and payment? Will you leave the employee to do everything or what and will you often go to the salon?
Thank you.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back