Maybe allergic to lash/brow tint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm due to start my level 2 Nvq in beauty therapy in September, I am allergic to hair colour so obviously do not have my hair coloured at all

With regards to lash/brow tint am I likely to be allergic too this too? I've never had a patch test for this treatment as I've never had it done so don't know

The college is now closed for the summer so cannot pop in and have a patch test done

If it turns out I am allergic, will I be likely to get on ok carrying out the treatment on clients and other students?

I'm due to sign up in a few weeks and pay almost £5,000 and it hadn't crossed my mind regarding being allergic to the tint

I know you cannot advise 100% yes or no but would like some people's thoughts on the matter

Ive been trying to get to college for a few years now, ended up not doing it a couple of years ago due to an operation on my arm and now I've resigned from my job so I can go back to college for 2 years full time and I'm hoping this won't stop me again

I don't want to be silly with my health and pay out thousands of pounds to find out I can't carry out some treatments

Thanks for reading

See if you can get a patch test in a salon near you. Or buy some tint and test yourself.
However all tints are different so we have to patch test with every new tint you have.
When performing a brow or lash tint you shouldn't get it on yourself but it can happen accidentally of course so your best best would be to wear gloves when giving the treatment, that'll ensure you definitely don't come into contact with it. Don't worry there's ways around it. Good luck with your course!

Just a side note. Why is level 2 costing you £5000? That is a huge amount of money and it can be done for much much less.

Depending on how severe your allergy is, you could always pop into a salon that offers eyebrow tinting and ask for a patch test.

Also, if you only suffer very mild symptoms, you should probably be ok if you wear nitrile gloves to apply and wash off the tint on clients as you're only dealing with very small quantities of the substances and the nitrile gloves will provide a barrier to the products.

[edit: basically same advice as @krum but my post was weirdly delayed posting.]

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments, it's made me feel better about it all, when I've had a skin test for hair dye it hasn't blistered or anything just gone very red and sore, but weirdly only when it's washed off not whilst it's actually on my skin, it takes about 3 days to go sore

I planned on doing both level 2 and 3 as felt it would give me the best start so the £5,000 is for both

The level 2 is roughly £1,000 the other £4,000 is kits uniform and level 3 fees which are above £3,000

When you start your course you will probably find that your tutor will patch test everyone in your group in your first week.
I often found one per class were allergic to tint so it's not unusual.
As the advice in the previous posts you can wear gloves to perform the treatments . When you model for your fellow students they can use an eye cleanser in place of the tint to simulate the treatment. Assessments will be carried out on 'real clients' so you won't ever have to have tint applied to yourself.

Oh thank you for commenting

That's good too know

I will pop into a salon next week and have a test done just so I know one way or another

Thanks

Latest posts

Back