Mermaid powders with CND Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emlou26

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently bought the Mermaid powders from INK London. I've read a few threads and watched the video on the Wildflowers Nail Academy website about applying the mermaid powders.

I tried in on myself a few days ago, following the advise I have read/watched; using a lint free pad with no dsperse to remove the sticky layer. When I applied the powder with an eyeshadow applicator, it was very patchy?
So I removed the powder and applied another layer of top coat (just to one nail as I was just practising on myself), I left the sticky layer on and the powder applied fine then finished with the final top coat.

Can any one advise what they do when using the powders with Shellac? or what I was doing wrong?

Thanks x

It depends what look you are going for with the glitter - the method you tried first (dry wipe tacky layer) is used to create a chrome/mirror effect but the glitter particles in INK's mermaid collection aren't fine enough to work, so they'll cause a bit of a mess when rubbed into the nail :)

I apply glitters in one of two ways - the first is patting it into the tacky layer of my last colour coat - pick some glitter up (I use an old make up brush but have a new Lecente glitter brush on the way :D), and pat lightly over the whole nail until it's covered. Remove any excess by ^gently^ stroking over the glitter with the brush, which dislodges any loose pieces.

The second way is to burnish the glitter into the tacky layer of the last colour coat - apply as above, but instead of gently removing the excess, move your brush in small circular strokes to really scrub the glitter in.

For both methods, I finish with a couple of top coats to seal it in, but I know other techs use a sheer colour coat over the glitter (e.g. Clearly Pink) to seal, then finish with a top coat. I've still not quite got the hang of it, but you need to really float the sealing coats over the nail, trying to avoid contact with the glitter and your brush. I always check my brush and if needed, wipe it clean before putting it back in the bottle to avoid accidentally turning my top coat glittery :D

I actually swatched my INK mermaid glitters last week so just grabbed this photo to show the difference between the two methods. Both swatches are done using Niamh over Blackpool - the one on the left was burnished and looks more foil-like (with a beautiful colour shift that doesn't quite come across in the pic), the one on the right was patted and gives a more sparkly effect.

20160810_113539.jpg

Sorry it's a huge post, but hope it helps :)

Thank you Cheeka!

I was going for the chrome/mirror effect so this is very insightful! I shall have a play with them tonight as I also bought their chrome powder too and look into getting finer glitters for the mirror effect.

:D

Thank you Cheeka!

I was going for the chrome/mirror effect so this is very insightful! I shall have a play with them tonight as I also bought their chrome powder too and look into getting finer glitters for the mirror effect.

:D

You already have what you need to get the mirror effect :) I don't have Ink's chrome pigment, but imagine it's a lot more like a powder, which means it will shine up nicely when rubbed into the wiped top coat.

Just go back to your first method with the dry wipe and eyeshadow brush, but use the chrome effect pigment rather than the mermaid ones. When I was swatching chrome nails with Shellac, I found they worked much better with the original top coat than express5 - the tacky layer wipes away a lot more cleanly so you've got a smoother surface to work with.

Happy swatching! Let us know how you get on :)

You already have what you need to get the mirror effect :) I don't have Ink's chrome pigment, but imagine it's a lot more like a powder, which means it will shine up nicely when rubbed into the wiped top coat.

Just go back to your first method with the dry wipe and eyeshadow brush, but use the chrome effect pigment rather than the mermaid ones. When I was swatching chrome nails with Shellac, I found they worked much better with the original top coat than express5 - the tacky layer wipes away a lot more cleanly so you've got a smoother surface to work with.

Happy swatching! Let us know how you get on :)

Thought I'd do a little update on this... had a wee play with the pigments 'burnished' into Blackpool Shellac...

Thought I'd do a little update on this... had a wee play with the pigments 'burnished' into Blackpool Shellac...

Hi guys, just read both your posts on using shrome mirror finish powders on CND Shellac, as I was having trouble also. I followed your suggestions with some success, but I found that if I didn't wipe off sticky layer at all and used a brush to pat pigment on (as you do with additives) then brushed more than burnished and it worked beautifully for me.
Is there a particular brand anyone can recommend that works best?
Kaye S

Hi guys, just read both your posts on using shrome mirror finish powders on CND Shellac, as I was having trouble also. I followed your suggestions with some success, but I found that if I didn't wipe off sticky layer at all and used a brush to pat pigment on (as you do with additives) then brushed more than burnished and it worked beautifully for me.
Is there a particular brand anyone can recommend that works best?
Kaye S

Hi Kaye

Is it a pigment brand you'do like a recommendation for? If so, I've only tried a couple. Which are from INK London and Cosmic Glows, but I have just ordered from magpie beauty as I've heard they are fantastic.
I see you're in Australia so I don't know how available they are to you! :oops:

I'll give your technique a go, I've been trying different ways of applying and have found just using my ring finger to apply and rub it in works really well.

X

Last edited:
Hi Kate

Is it a pigment brand you'do like a recommendation for? If so, I've only tried a couple. Which are from INK London and Cosmic Glows, but I have just ordered from magpie beauty as I've heard they are fantastic.
I see you're in Australia so I don't know how available they are to you! :oops:

I'll give your technique a go, I've been trying different ways of applying and have found just using my ring finger to apply and rub it in works really well.

X
Yes, I still don't have the smooth 'chrome/mirror' effect yet, its more of a metallic look which is nice but I really want the mirror effect with CND Shellac......still playing around though and thought a particular brand might work better.

I have also had a little trouble. I am applying over ink's dark noir as recommended. I rubbed the pigment into the second coat of colour and found this worked really well with niamh and ellie Olivia and even both together but when I did it with Freya and Megan it seemed more patchy. I'm still waiting for Bonnie to arrive so I can have a play with that as it was missing from my order . I'm going to keep playing. I have had no luck with chrome either!!

I have also had a little trouble. I am applying over ink's dark noir as recommended. I rubbed the pigment into the second coat of colour and found this worked really well with niamh and ellie Olivia and even both together but when I did it with Freya and Megan it seemed more patchy. I'm still waiting for Bonnie to arrive so I can have a play with that as it was missing from my order . I'm going to keep playing. I have had no luck with chrome either!!

I also found that those 2 (Freya and Megan) would go on patchy even though I hadn't wiped off the inhibition layer etc. but I just perceived and packed more on! Lol.
I bought Chroma no wipe top coat to see if the chrome (Dearbhail) worked over that... it does nothing so I wouldn't waste your time with that! haha
I'll just have to keep trying and try out the Finger Nail Fixer's youtube video on chrome with Shellac.

Latest posts

Back