Migraines, A&E and the pill

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi when I went on the injection 5 years ago after I kept forgetting to take my pill. I probably put on a few pounds (my mum reckoned that was just me changing in between being 16 & 19) and had blood spotting for about 3 months. then for the rest of the 5 years no periods or anything. I had a break for a year then my periods came back after 6 months. i'm back on it now had my first one in January i've actually lost a bit of weight and had slight light bleeding for a month but OK now. no harm in trying it, only lasts for 3 months it goes so quick. xxx

Injections made my migraines worse. I was getting 3-4 a week not being able to keep anything down when got them. Now taking Pitozfen and much better now. Have tried highest dosage of beta blockers but no help, tried amitriptyline but didn't help. Still failing to find a definite trigger but Dr refuses to refer me. But least down to 1-2 a week. Just wish I could keep something down when get them even if it was just water. Don't envy anyone that suffers!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SalonGeek mobile app

My bf of 8 years suffers from migraines. We were going to the emergency room with alarming frequency until we discovered benadryl. It knocks them and him out nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

How did you get on after Jodie-Danielle?

So last night i ended up in A&E with the worst migraine ever!

I'm 25 and since I was 11 I have been going to the doctors with these headaches it has taken last night to get somewhere, when ever I go to my doctors I get told I don't have migraines and it's my pill that's causing it and that I'm stressed and it's just a severe headache! I know I have nothing major to be stressed about!
So I have been on God knows how many pills, mini pill and combined pills. I'm currently on microgynon but after last night I think it's time to come off it. I know it's not the main cause of my migraines because I've been having these headaches since a child.

So my problem is now I know I can go back to my docs and demand some proper medication for these migraines what do I about contraceptive. I really don't want the implant or coil so can anyone who has or has had the injection tell me of your experiences. I'm petrified of putting weight on i know it's superficial but It makes me so nervous x x

Omg I've tried loads! Been told I'm not allowed to have the injection because of migraine side effects.

Yasmin put me in hospital. Had the worst migraine ever that lasted a full week. So bad that I literally thought I was having a stroke!
Microgynon gave me them also (had at least one bad one a week)
Changed to cerazette and have not had one since. (Started taking it just over 2 years ago)
Xx

I personally didn't like the injection either I got it twice for for 6 months and I put on a lot of weight with it had my period the whole time and when I stopped it it took about nine months for them to come back to normal x

Omg I've tried loads! Been told I'm not allowed to have the injection because of migraine side effects.

Yasmin put me in hospital. Had the worst migraine ever that lasted a full week. So bad that I literally thought I was having a stroke!
Microgynon gave me them also (had at least one bad one a week)
Changed to cerazette and have not had one since. (Started taking it just over 2 years ago)
Xx

I am on cerazette but still get them :( but then again I still get periods too and most people I know that on it don't get periods anymore.

How did you get on after Jodie-Danielle?

SUCCESS ladies!
I've been given tablets to start straight away that I take at night time to prevent my migraines (amitriptyline), I have some anti-inflammatory tablets (omeprazole) to take if I feel a migraine coming on if they don't work I have to take some more tablets (sumatriptan) and because these tablets caused me pain last time I have to take some other tablets (indometacin) to stop the pain! It's cost me £32 in tablets!!! Also she has referred me for an emergency neurology appointment as I'm still a tiny bit numb on my right side of face.
I cried in room (looser) as I was so
Frustrated, so partner ended up having ago at doctor because she turned it into a he said she said debate!

Thankyou all for your replies It has helped a lot, I sympathise with you all, it's a shame our doctors don't feel the same way :( x x x x x

Glad you're getting some help at last.
The crying probably helped her realise how distressed you are by it all, so don't feel bad. :hug:

Sumatriptan caused you pain? What kind of pain?
There are many other Triptan tablets that may be better for you if that one has side effects.

SUCCESS ladies!
I've been given tablets to start straight away that I take at night time to prevent my migraines (amitriptyline), I have some anti-inflammatory tablets (omeprazole) to take if I feel a migraine coming on if they don't work I have to take some more tablets (sumatriptan) and because these tablets caused me pain last time I have to take some other tablets (indometacin) to stop the pain! It's cost me £32 in tablets!!! Also she has referred me for an emergency neurology appointment as I'm still a tiny bit numb on my right side of face.
I cried in room (looser) as I was so
Frustrated, so partner ended up having ago at doctor because she turned it into a he said she said debate!

Thankyou all for your replies It has helped a lot, I sympathise with you all, it's a shame our doctors don't feel the same way :( x x x x x

Excellent! Those amytripiline make you feel a little groggy at first but only for a day or 2, in the long run their fantastic :) & your not a looser coz u cried lol it's been a nightmare! Glad ur sorted now tho x

That's good your sorted. Just wish amitriptyline worked for me. I used to be on sumatriptin for when I used to get one but then my body got immune to it so wouldn't work no more.

Sumatriptan caused you pain? What kind of pain?
There are many other Triptan tablets that may be better for you if that one has side effects.

I get really bad burning pain and palpitations I told her about this but she prescribed it anyway and told me to take the other tablet along side to stop that from happening xx

So last night i ended up in A&E with the worst migraine ever!

I'm 25 and since I was 11 I have been going to the doctors with these headaches it has taken last night to get somewhere, when ever I go to my doctors I get told I don't have migraines and it's my pill that's causing it and that I'm stressed and it's just a severe headache! I know I have nothing major to be stressed about!
So I have been on God knows how many pills, mini pill and combined pills. I'm currently on microgynon but after last night I think it's time to come off it. I know it's not the main cause of my migraines because I've been having these headaches since a child.

So my problem is now I know I can go back to my docs and demand some proper medication for these migraines what do I about contraceptive. I really don't want the implant or coil so can anyone who has or has had the injection tell me of your experiences. I'm petrified of putting weight on i know it's superficial but It makes me so nervous x x

Sorry but can't you make your partner use protection?

You have gone through all this medication and it's clearly making you worse.

Tell him to put a sock on it!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Omeporazole is not an anti inflammatory. It's an anti acid which can have anti inflammatory properties. It can be used to prevent stomach issues when taking heavy medication.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was on microgynon pill for a year and never suffered headaches or migraines..... Until I started that pill! They were so bad I had an MRI scan. All absolutely fine only for doc to decide to put me on the mini pill instead and they went a couple of months later and that was a year ago, I've not had one since. It amazes me how contraception can cause that!! Xx

I have suffered
Migraines since i was a teenager. The pill made my migraines worse, and pregnancy triggered attacks. i am prescribed imigran, which i take at the first sign of a headache. Over the last 5 years my migraine's have reduced significantly

I have suffered since a child with migraines, my doctor won't allow me to go on one of the pills because of this, ive been on the injection for almost two years and my migraine have not got worse or better, I have not put on any weight and havernt had a period since I started using it, best thing for me I have had problems with ever other contraceptive but everyone reacts differently 😊

Maybe you should look at your diet and lifestyle to work out what is causing the migraines. As you said you have had them since being a child. I had the same problem but now have the coil but after doing a good diary for years I worked out that I couldn't have certain foods.. citric fruits, certain sweets and drinks with too much citric acid in them. Strong cheese. Caffeine. Used to trigger with chocolate too but I seem to have grown out of that. Might be worth looking into also just to see if it might be other things as well as the pill :)

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Cottoncandy, that really did make me laugh!

I can understand why you would prefer to be protected in another way though because i don't like condoms. I just don't feel safe with them.

Jodie-danielle you shouldn't feel silly for crying about it. It's terrible that it had to get to that stage for the doctor to take you seriously. Also i'm not surprised you were in tears, migraines are absolute agony. I know if i feel one coming and i can't get to sleep quick enough i feel terrified because i know whats coming. Luckily mine are reduced to every few months now, i can't imagine having them at your frequency.

I really hope that your prescription helps you. Best of luck xx

Latest posts

Back