Migraines, A&E and the pill

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should look at your diet and lifestyle to work out what is causing the migraines. As you said you have had them since being a child. I had the same problem but now have the coil but after doing a good diary for years I worked out that I couldn't have certain foods.. citric fruits, certain sweets and drinks with too much citric acid in them. Strong cheese. Caffeine. Used to trigger with chocolate too but I seem to have grown out of that. Might be worth looking into also just to see if it might be other things as well as the pill :)

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive done a food diary since I was 15 chick, I thought the same that it must be something I'm eating but seems to be nothing, I know not to eat anything too sugary after 8 as it triggers them also if I havnt had alcohol in a while that straight away gives me one. I love water so I'm not dehydrated I don't think. I have cut out gluten to see if that could have been the cause but nothing :( xx

Just read through all of this, n it sounds awful! Just thought I would add my 10p worth in case it helps you or anyone reading. I won't go into my hell with every type of contraception there is and the aggro it caused my over all health its long. But put it this way we have 3 children n my husband has been sterilised. Fake hormones in these meds cause havoc for some women.

I have had migraines for as long as I can remember. They cause sickness, blindness and flashing lights. They were worse when I was pregnant so I assume hormones play a part. Also when my eyesight has deteriorated further it gets worse (I am short sighted and its degenerative), photosensitivity plays a part too so camera flashes, nightclub lights, sun light, emergency vehicle lights, idiots who flash you at night in the car and reading a phone screen can set them off. I also found neck strain doesn't help, pillows have to be just so at bedtime or I will get a migraine. Certain types of exercise set me off too so if I do a sit up wrong, run when I'm tired.
As far as medication goes, migraleve can be pretty good if caught soon enough as can strong aspirin. Codiene is a no go, it actually causes more headaches than it resolves. Sunglasses are my best friend on bright days and sleep, if I over do it I get a silent migraine where I go blind. The pain comes when my sight returns and it's sickening. I also find my head is fuzzy n sore when my B12 levels are low and I'm due an injection to boost it. Although all these migraines are nothing compared to the fire I felt under my scalp when I had pre-eclampsia, that one didn't go away for weeks. The intensity lowered with whatever drugs they pumped me with when I collapsed but the tenderness stayed for weeks. I assume since u been to hospital your BP would have been checked. I hope the medication you are on helps you now. Reading your ordeal I really feel for you. X

After reading everyone's replies and saying pregnancy makes them worse I can honestly say not looking forward to day I decide to have kids because I'm awful now never mind being pregnant. I don't envy anyone that suffers with them as feels what I imagine a stroke to be like sometimes. Just wish I didn't suffer with them. But I can't stand people that say they have a migraine and still managing to work with flashing lights etc, so deep down I don't think they know what a migraine is they probably just got bad headache.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SalonGeek mobile app

I hope no one minds me opening this post up again. I am in exactly the same position. I had been fighting with the doctors for years about my headaches and finally got diagnosed with migraines. I am now on sumatriptan buy it hasn't really worked for me. Also tried naproxen various changes of pill, glasses. I am currently on the back end I'm hoping of a 31 hour long one - I feel awful! I am currently on Rigevidon pill have tried the mini pill but hated it. Injection scares me and the implant! I'm fed up of posting so many pills into my body, it effects work and home life so much I had to cancel all of my plans this weekend for it :( off to bed with a cooling patch on my head currently. Has anyone ever had sumatriptan does it help you?x

Sumatriptan really helped with my migraines but my doctor refused to keep prescribing it to me.

I'm 8 months pregnant at the moment so I'm unable to take anything that actually works and the migraines are back with a vengeance. 3 days out of the week for the past 4 weeks I've been unable to get out of bed, can't eat/drink [emoji24]
My hands feel like they aren't mine (if that even makes sense!) I either get flashing lights in my eyes or blindness and my speech is jumbled up so I can't string a sentence together.

In regards to the injection i was told I couldn't have it due to the side effects being migraines. And basically once it's in, you have to wait 3 months until it's out of your system.
Xx

The side effects from the injection can be completely debilitating and last about 18 months because even after the hormones are out of your system you still need time to re-balance. Medical science does not have a good understanding of hormones so if you do have any problems the doctors are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Not a medication I would recommend even to my worst enemy!

Ive had migraines since I was 7, and during bad patches can get 3-4 minor ones a week and a huge blowout with vomiting and collapsing every 2-3 months.
At the moment I'm on frovatriptan (?!) can't spell it, but it's only helpful about 50% of the time.
My GP's have been nothing but useless, it's the most frustrating thing. I also get cluster headaches and was told oxygen would help with that...

I was referred to have botox injections for my migraines and apparently they have a really high succession rate as well as acupuncture?

I decided not to go ahead with the Botox, I do find that sometimes, not always, doing a gentle temple massage and on the forehead relieves that feeling of pressure and throbbing in my head - but only if I manage to catch it in time before i start having auras!!!

I find fresh air, a dehumidifier and a cold room helps it stop being so ferocious .

Sorry I know these may not be that helpful as they don't get rid of it but there my go too things that help stop it being so severe. Poor old mum usually ends up bringing me in a cold flannel and goes round opening all the windows! I've got blackout curtains now too - They also help as bright sunlight is a trigger for me xx

Thank you everyone! All I wanted to do was be outside but then there is the brightness of the sun :( so I stuck to being inside in my room with the black out curtains. it went about 12pm today after even more medication. Definitely put off the injection thank you for your comments on that. Hopefully they will come up with some amazing medication for us all!

Don't know if you have all seen the post about the johnsons menthol baby bath? Meant to help! However only available in US which sucks
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1465335653.046224.jpg

I've suffered from migraines since taking the pill at 26. I'm now 59, and despite being past the menopause I still have them. I'm about to embark on a 6 month course of Coenzyme Q10, which trials have concluded stop migraines by up to 75 percent. I find my migraines are worse when I don't sleep enough, or I'm stressed or dehydrated. I've also found that the food additive, MSG, can make me ill with it.

The combined pill is a big migraine trigger. It's also a risk to take it as a migraine sufferer because it ups your risk of having a stroke. Stop taking it asap.
Can you describe your migraine pain? Where on the head? What kind of pain? Do you have any signs it's coming? How long does it last on average?
When suffering migraleve is a good place to start. You can buy that from chemists. You can also buy sumatriptan which is a migraine abortive. It's very expensive though so best got on prescription.

Defiantly agree with the above. It was only that I put my migrane and pill prescription in at the same time that I found out. The pharmist refused to give me my medication and sent me back to my Dr. It's a very big risk. I no longer take the pill x

Sumatriptan only helps me if I catch it at the right time and can have the completely black out room. Whereas if I try and take it when get one whilst out and about it don't help. It's the 100mg one I'm prescribed. Drs on about something else beginning with Z I think. It's on my notice board at home and in that one they do melts in it so if struggling to get it down me when being sick etc that would get into me easier as when being sick etc can't keep anything down not even water.

Just wanted to say, today I discovered putting deep freeze (the muscle gel) on my head during a migraine was amazing! I usually use those sticky cool patches or an ice pack. But today I tried this and I wish I had done it before.
The only thing I would say is don't put it too near your eyes because it's a very strong menthol smell and will make them sting!

Don't know if you have all seen the post about the johnsons menthol baby bath? Meant to help! However only available in US which sucks View attachment 198060
I suffer with migraines, though mine just make me feel really sick and dizzy. I'm on Pizotifen for them. I was told about the menthol baby bath and after googling I saw I couldn't get it in England but Asda do their own range of very similar stuff to Johnsons and they had their own menthol bath for £1 I think?

I suffer with migraines, though mine just make me feel really sick and dizzy. I'm on Pizotifen for them. I was told about the menthol baby bath and after googling I saw I couldn't get it in England but Asda do their own range of very similar stuff to Johnsons and they had their own menthol bath for £1 I think?

I'm on Pizotifen for mine too, what dosage are you on? Do you feel rather drowsy with it? One thing I don't like but have tried so many types of medication, this is second try at pizotifen as dr said I tried all types of medication so let's see if drowsy doesn't effect you this time

I'm on Pizotifen for mine too, what dosage are you on? Do you feel rather drowsy with it? One thing I don't like but have tried so many types of medication, this is second try at pizotifen as dr said I tried all types of medication so let's see if drowsy doesn't effect you this time
I'm only on 1.5mg. I am always really tired but I'm on lots of medication so I don't know what one is making me tired lol. I do feel hungry almost constantly on it though!

I'm only on 1.5mg. I am always really tired but I'm on lots of medication so I don't know what one is making me tired lol. I do feel hungry almost constantly on it though!

I'm on a lot of medication too but that's why it has to be taken at night time because of it making you drowsy. I'm always hungry anyway so didn't realise it was that lol

I'm on a lot of medication too but that's why it has to be taken at night time because of it making you drowsy. I'm always hungry anyway so didn't realise it was that lol
I was told to take mine through the day so I have one with breakfast, one with lunch and one with dinner. I was also told that it increases your appetite! I could sleep anywhere at the moment, literally!

Latest posts

Back