Mileage Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Hey Folks

Just looking for some advice. I am a mobile therapist and have been in business nearly 3 years. When I set up, I went anywhere and everywhere, just to get the business. I live in a very rural area and can drive anything up to 50 miles (round trip) to see one client for £20, so once you've taken mileage out, I've made a loss even before I've done a treatment. Thankfully, business is going well and I'm now thinking that I really need to set an area of, say, a 20 mile radius of where I live. Anything out of that 20 miles incurs a mileage fee. So I have a few questions. Firstly, is 20 miles reasonable (for a £20 treatment, I'm only left with £11 after mileage). Secondly, what do you charge over the 20 mile radius and lastly, I don't want to abandon these clients in the very rural areas, so how do I word a letter saying that I will be charging mileage costs.

Any tips and advice very gratefully appeciated.

Mandy

Hi

I'm mobile too and I charge 30p a mile over a 10 mile radius of my town. I think maybe 20 miles is a bit far because don't forget you have your journey back home so you are losing double.

With regards to wording a letter, I would just say that due to the increase in petrol costs etc, you are going to have to charge x amount for mileage. If they're happy with your work, they're not going to be too worried about paying an extra £5 or so.

HTH :) x

Hi, I've done mine slightly differently. I have a map which shows 3 bands A, B and C. A is approx a 10 mile radius and has no extra charge, B is about a 15 mile radius and is an extra £3 and C is about 20 miles and is an extra £6. You can have a look if you want Smart Nails - Mobile Nail Services for Cottenham click on 'mobile coverage'

Hi, I've done mine slightly differently. I have a map which shows 3 bands A, B and C. A is approx a 10 mile radius and has no extra charge, B is about a 15 mile radius and is an extra £3 and C is about 20 miles and is an extra £6. You can have a look if you want Smart Nails - Mobile Nail Services for Cottenham click on 'mobile coverage'

That's a good idea! I'm just starting up, but haven't done a map yet, need to though! :o

It works quite well and leaves no room for arguments about how far away they are. I was worried at first that clients would be put off by the extra £6 but they've all said it's fine.

Did you know that you can claim back mileage against your business? My accountant told me this!!! As long as you keep a record of all the places you drove to (appointment book is fine - with locations jotted somewhere) then you can claim per mile! Sometimes I could kiss my accountant! :hug:

I like this idea too and hope you don't mind if I copy your idea :biggrin: thank you x

Did you know that you can claim back mileage against your business? My accountant told me this!!! As long as you keep a record of all the places you drove to (appointment book is fine - with locations jotted somewhere) then you can claim per mile! Sometimes I could kiss my accountant! :hug:

Sweetcheeks, when you say 'claim back' what do you mean? The way I understand it is that you only pay tax on your profits so once you take your mileage out of the equation, you're not paying tax on that amount.

Sweetcheeks, when you say 'claim back' what do you mean? The way I understand it is that you only pay tax on your profits so once you take your mileage out of the equation, you're not paying tax on that amount.

I understood it as (could be wrong though!) that the more stock etc you have brought - the less tax you will pay and mileage falls into this category x

I understood it as (could be wrong though!) that the more stock etc you have brought - the less tax you will pay and mileage falls into this category x

Yeah, that's how I understand it. Thanks!

Yup that's right, as of April 2011 you can claim 45p per mile. Last year it was 40p per mile.

:p
Yup that's right, as of April 2011 you can claim 45p per mile. Last year it was 40p per mile.

I did a business start up course a month ago, they told me 45p per mile too

Fab, thank you ladies x

Latest posts

Back