Mineral makeup - a good choice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffycat

Reaction score
Looking into getting myself some new makeup but want to choose the right type for my skin and i am swaying towards mineral makeup as ive read its good for the skin and lightweight, although i dont know much else about it, hence coming on here to seek advice! Sorry for the length of the post!

I have acneic skin and am currently using the nimue range for problematic skin as my skincare - have been on it nearly 2mths. I was never really into makeup and if i am off work or college i would rarely wear any but when i do i like to have a good coverage due to the redness and scarring. At the moment there is more redness and scarring than actual pustules and although i can feel inflamed lumps under my skin there are less than there used to be. The thing i find irritating about putting on makeup is that the spots and redness still show through. The makeup ive been using for years (though rarely, as i say) is maybelline dream matte mousse and i think its in the wrong shade for me as well as fading off my face as the day wears on and just being generally crap! Though the reason i did initially purchase and continue with it was because i liked the feel of the mousse and the way it smoothed well over my face.

Found a tutorial on the net that recommended a clinique product for camouflaging redness before you put your makeup on (cant remember the name of it) so went into debenhams and got some samples but hated the clinique stuff and dont think the green product made much difference, but that day i also went over to the bare minerals counter and she did a quick makeup on me and it turned out lovely and i have to say the coverage was great, it looked natural but i was afraid of getting it and it not turning out the same at home as in the shop as im used to putting liquid foundation on with my fingers!

Theres a salon near me that stocks jane iredale mineral makeup and i was wondering whats the difference in this as opposed to the bare minerals? Do you need a special brush for putting mineral makeup on?

Or does it matter what type of makeup you use if you have skin like me? Is it more in how you apply it?

Any suggestions and advice welcome, thank you! x

I have darkish freckle patches round one of my eyes and down the side of my face and although I use benefit erase paste around my eyes I've been using bare minerals and I've got to say I love it! I found a different mineral makeup by gosh which I've found to be even cheaper than bare minerals and even that is better coverage still, you get it from superdrug. Don't be scared to try bare minerals, even buy the get started kit which is what I started with because you get the brushes with it which is good. Promise you'll love it ️xx

Unfortunately all mineral make up isn't created the same. Mineral make up only needs the most minimum amount of mineral to be called a mineral make up. These minerals can include things like talc which is so not good for your skin, but is a mineral, and bismuth which is found in bare minerals. Talc can dry the skin, drawing moisture out, and bismuth can aggravate an already challenged skin which is more noticeable if you get hot and sweat.

If you have a salon near you retailing Jane Iredale, phone them and ask for some advice. The products aren't cheap but you don't wear it often, so make it the best for when you do. The products are something mad like 99% good minerals and by that I mean no talc, and bismuth was removed from their range many years ago.

I have retailed and used JI for about 10 years now and absolutely love it. We offer free make overs for clients thinking about purchasing the products. I actively encourage clients to wear for a day and have a look in their mirrors at home.

Please don't be fooled into thinking mineral make up is all the same.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I love mineral make up. Lily lolo is a nice one. Although atm im just using the loreal one from boots. It covers so well without looking cakey and really evens your skin tone. I have really dark circles and i just dip a concealer brush into the foundation and it evens everything out :) defo give it a try

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry to repeat myself, but as a skin geek, L'Oréal is not a brilliant mineral make up for someone with skin concerns. A pure mineral make up is not cheap and a cheap mineral make up is not pure.

Just made that up - think it's pretty good!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

absolute beauty - havent come across gosh before - was tempted by the bare minerals starter kit i have to say!

squidgernetball - thats good information to know; whilst my skin can get a bit oily i certainly wouldnt want it to feel dried out, especially when it the aircon in college just saps the life from my face lol!

funtimefranko - just googled lily lolo, never heard of it either! cant seem to find a stockist locator, is it just online retail that they do?

Whatever i go for id rather try before i buy so that rules online purchase out - I dont mind paying for something that is good and that actually works on my face though! I think i will go to my local salon and see what they say r.e. jane iredale in the meantime.

Thanks all x

I was told by Colorescience that if the mineral powder sit on top of water, they are good minerals. If they sink, they have impurities that should not be in a mineral make-up brand. I don't sell make-up but I love to play with it - who doesn't? I tried Jane Iredale for 2 years. My skin colouring is fairly dark, Fitzpatrick IV, and I found that the colours just weren't strong enough for me. The face powders were good, but the eye and lip colours way too muted. I've come across dark-skinned girls who say the same. Perhaps bear in mind who your target market is. I know a dark Indian girl who says Mii is very good.

Take a look at Combat Cosmetics, mineral make-up with Manuka honey! We are just getting together pictures of results from acneic combat cosmetic wearers from my clients We've had fantastic results.
Xx

I use Mii, they have a lovely mineral range as well as traditional makeup, so I find it caters for everyone, as some people don't like mineral makeup. however if your looking for good coverage using only minerals, I'd reccomend Jane Iredale. I've used it too and they really are great products.

In our clinic I work in we use Youngblood mineral make up. It is fantastic and has a liquid option too. It is a higher price range but the coverage is excellent and is a well reviewed brand.
I hope you find something to help.
;)

Kamikate - i went to the salon to check out the jane iredale and got matched up but i havent bought any as yet - the price is putting me off as im already spending a lot on skincare - although they did say it would last ages. My skin would be quite pale and i like natural shades. I quite liked the mineral liquid they do - its the mineral balls suspended in gel and they mix together when pumped out but i was advised that the powder would be better for my skin type.

Paige - do you know if combat cosmetics have any stockists, i cant see anything on their website - i like the idea of that manuka honey makeup though it sounds good!

Mrs bob - just checked out Mii - they have a couple of stockists but nothing local to me unfortunately

rachaelwesson - thanks for the recommendation but i think if its a higher price range i may have to dismiss it unfortunately

Im doing a little recreational makeup course and they will be using fuschia mineral makeup next week with us (an irish brand), so im going to give it a go and see what i think. Im still considering bare minerals too but ive got my jane iredale colour match on record at the salon so i may end up going for it in the end!

Give them a call and ask for samples, they are at Beauty UK on the 10th & 11th
Xx

Latest posts

Back