Mini locks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo hobbs

Love your hair by jo
Reaction score
Hi iv been doing extensions for just over a year now and iv started using the mini locks but I'm finding my clients are getting a lot of slippage .. could this be down to the size of the sections I'm taking ? and what is the standard amount for people to lose ?

Do you have a picture of your application?

This is the only one I have , this is after a maintenance apt
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1485194876.095856.jpg

I've never used this type of extention application. I use nano beads and my clients do have a few slip. I brush each section as I'm applying to make sure none slip if they do I reapply there and then. I also use silicone lined beads. I think this help the beads from slipping. Don't know if this is an option for your type of application.

Thanks Danielle .. I think I need to start using silicone lined ones as the normal locks just don't seem to be working for me..

Silicone lined are much better. Archie Lloyds do mini tips not sure if it's the same thing x

I do mini locks and only had one client complain or slippage/ losing strands and she had lost 5 stands, all my other clients never complain of losing many, I think you need good steel pliers to really clamp the tubes down hard, the pliers with the plastic handles r crap in my opinion x

My clients loose around 1 to 5 bonds, what pliers are you using?The bonds on your picture look soft, I would re tip them for a better grip

I'm using angels locks pliers? There stainless steel ones. The pic above was a maintenance apt so she has had the hair for some time and is aware she needs to change it next time round, however even on the new fittings I'm doing I'm still having the same probs.. I have just changed to silicone locks so I'm hoping this makes a diff otherwise I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong! [emoji85] xx

It looks to me like your not actually applying the mini lock to the tip. Looks as if your half on the tip half on the strand. I could be wrong but I've attached a photo of how I apply mini lock extensions and I very rarely have any clients get any slippage xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487296139.056836.jpg

Thanks Emma, your sections look much deeper than mine perhaps this is where I'm going wrong !? Do you always place the lock at the very top of each tip? Xx

Thanks Emma, your sections look much deeper than mine perhaps this is where I'm going wrong !? Do you always place the lock at the very top of each tip? Xx
Not right at the top but I centre them every time. Your section sizes play a big part in whether they slip or not. Each client is different so it's something you would need to work out how much hair to pull through the mini lock but it should always be full and tight x

I can't quite tell from the picture but it looks like u have some of the tip sticking out of the top of the tube? They need to sit flush inside the tube without any sticking out. That way it's less likely to catch on a brush or absorb extra water/product etc. Also is she using a soft bristled padded brush? That could help? I personally wasn't keen on the silicone lined locks, I found the silicone lining sticks out and can come away from the inside of the ring? Non lined ones sit flatter too but I think it's a personal preference. Good luck stick at it!

Latest posts

Back