Mistakes when you opened your salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Costly advertising in the wrong places was my mistake.

I did every bit of research I could before I opened up last year.

Phoning salons to check prices, going in to see them.

I thought training with a top company and great brand would bring in the clientele, I was wrong.

People don't care where you have trained or what products you use. Bottom line is they want cheap, if you ain't then difficult to get business.

More so when your surrounded by beauty salons & NSS. I thought setting my standards higher would gain me business, it didn't.

I walked into a NSS asked for CND Shellac, they said yes they do it for £10 it's a gel polish, I said can I see the bottle, they pointed towards a display with bottles with GP written on it.
No CND certificates in site.

I know the brand as I use it, the normal person off the high street doesn't so if they are told it's CND shellac they will believe it.

I can only educate clients who come to me, I can't stand outside these salons and give then lectures.

NSS salons don't even have one certificate in site and they advertise CND Shellac!

Who do you complain to?

I did every bit of research I could before I opened up last year.

Phoning salons to check prices, going in to see them.

I thought training with a top company and great brand would bring in the clientele, I was wrong.

People don't care where you have trained or what products you use. Bottom line is they want cheap, if you ain't then difficult to get business.

More so when your surrounded by beauty salons & NSS. I thought setting my standards higher would gain me business, it didn't.

I walked into a NSS asked for CND Shellac, they said yes they do it for £10 it's a gel polish, I said can I see the bottle, they pointed towards a display with bottles with GP written on it.
No CND certificates in site.

I know the brand as I use it, the normal person off the high street doesn't so if they are told it's CND shellac they will believe it.

I can only educate clients who come to me, I can't stand outside these salons and give then lectures.

NSS salons don't even have one certificate in site and they advertise CND Shellac!

Who do you complain to?

Can complain to CND & Trading Standards i'm guessing but they will have fun trying to track down who actually is the manager and who is the owners. Almost impossible in fact.

I used to do printing for a NSS Salon and I'm pretty sure I met about 6 different owners across 6 months. All of which had extreme amounts of cash on them.

Also used to and still do printing for takeaway places. Kebab shops etc. (Yes I'm responsible for some of theme annoying letterbox menu's :) ) and again trying to find out who actually was the boss was pretty pointless.

Opening my salon with a friend.....mixing friendship with business is a recipe for disaster!

Can complain to CND & Trading Standards i'm guessing but they will have fun trying to track down who actually is the manager and who is the owners. Almost impossible in fact.

I used to do printing for a NSS Salon and I'm pretty sure I met about 6 different owners across 6 months. All of which had extreme amounts of cash on them.

Also used to and still do printing for takeaway places. Kebab shops etc. (Yes I'm responsible for some of theme annoying letterbox menu's :) ) and again trying to find out who actually was the boss was pretty pointless.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall, unless beauty industry isn't regulated we professionals stand no chance.

Opening my salon with a friend.....mixing friendship with business is a recipe for disaster!

I can join you on that one! Biggest mistake ever, do it alone lol harder but deffo better x

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Making sure you have enough money to pay all of your expenses and a basic wage for yourself! (I learnt that the hard way and still am)
Pricing yourself low. As said earlier it is easier to do offers rather than put them up later on.
Spend only on what you need. You can always add later on, but don't be fooled into buying cheap products etc go for the best you possibly can, research it well before hand and advertise it well.

Advertising doesn't have to be costly, I spent loads on newspaper adverts and local magazine type things they just didn't work.

Latest posts

Back