MMA banned in the USA but why not here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wondernail said:
Judy....

NSS - Non Standard Salon

Do a search and you will find load on the subject!! Basically, salons that do not adhere to any sort of quality training, cleanliness, or practices, or even in some case morals!!

Thankyou for that I think I know the ones you mean now! Will have a good search for more info on this

What You Should Know Before
You Have Your Nails Done!

Susan Stein of Foothill Ranch snagged a finger on her soapy hair about a year ago. She expected to find a crack in one of her MMA-based acrylic nails. But as the water cleared the shampoo bubbles away, she noticed that the acrylic nail was lifting off her finger, taking the natural nail with it. And the same thing was happening on her other fingers.
Helen Gomez of Mississauga, On. had her nails done for 2 years at what she considered a reputable salon in Brampton. She repeatedly questioned her nail technician as to the condition of her natural nails and was repeatedly assured that they were fine. Three years ago, just a few days before Christmas, Gladys decided not to travel to Brampton and chose to have her nails done in Mississauga. When her new technician (Cindy MacNeil) began to perform the service both the technician and Gladys were horrified. As bits of loose MMA-based acrylic came away so did Gladys’ natural nail. All of her natural nails were the consistency of wet toilet paper. The MMA was so thick (in spite of the appearance of thin nails) that the service took over 3 hours just to remove the enhancements and two years before healthy nails began to emerge. This is a sad reality of MMA enhancements.... you don’t see the damage until it is too late. It can take up to one year for the nail to replace itself and hopefully it is not permanently deformed.
Last year women spent more than $4 billion on artificial fingernails and business continues to boom. But underneath that veneer is a chaotic scene of unanswered questions, brutal competition and even claims of racism. At issue is a chemical called Methyl methacrylate, or MMA. Millions of women who paid for acrylic nail services in recent years may have been unknowingly exposed to the chemical, which has been blamed for fungal infections, nail plate damage, nail loss and deformation, loss of sensation in the fingertips and respiratory aliments and other numerous problems. In 1974 the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) declared it to be a Responsible manufacturers quickly and voluntarily switched their salon clients over to Ethyl methacrylate (EMA), a more expensive and safer bonding liquid. Reputable nail salons followed suit. The difference in EMA and MMA is the same as the difference between wood alcohol (methanol) and beverage alcohol (ethanol). Wood alcohol when consumed is deadly. Beverage alcohol is considered safe (if not used in excess!).
MMA is safely used to make resins, plastics, and specifically plastic dentures. In the case of the dental industry these processes are done outside of the mouth. Once cured, dental composites are safe when placed in contact with human tissue. The exposure rate is also different. Acrylic nails are filled every 2 - 3 weeks. A dental client may only have a few prostheses throughout their lifetime.
Discount salons may offer a full set of nails for $25 compared to $50 or more at their competitors. Some of the differences can be explained by the low overhead of the discount salons, which often operate in cheap storefronts and rely on poorly trained, low wage technicians. But the main reason for this price difference is the use of MMA which can cost as little as $15 a gallon compared to as much as $300 for a gallon of EMA.
The problem with MMA is that its atoms are so small that they easily penetrate the skin and nail plate. MMA is a Asensitizer@ that can cause irritation and allergic reactions once it is in contact with the skin. EMA is much safer, larger in atomic size, and doesn’t damage nail plates. It is also hundreds of times less likely to cause allergic reactions.
While it is the incredible strength of MMA enhancements that attracts some users, it is not appropriate or safe for use on soft nail tissue. MMA-based products have extremely poor adhesion. For enhancements to adhere, the natural nail plate receives severe abrasions (horizontal grooves carved by a large oversized drill bit). The nail plate must be overly filed (drilled) and excessively thin before the methyl methacrylate artificial nail is applied. It is this dangerous strength that increases the potential for nail damage when applied to the weakened nail plate. If the nail breaks the whole nail plate may be removed. Women have had their natural nails ripped out (sometimes permanently) because the MMA acrylic did not break off when exposed to trauma.
Salons using large or oversize brushes in order to save time, make beads of acrylic that are far too wet! The belly of a large brush can carry enough liquid for 4 medium wet beads (or three nails)! This means the product, which may appear to be hardened, does not set up in the correct amount of time and the harmful chemical MMA leeches through the nail plate, into the nail bed and then directly into the blood stream. In short, brushes that are too large don’t save time, they can lead to serious allergic reactions.
MMA creates nails which are not easily removed without causing severe damage to the nail plate. It takes only 30 - 35 minutes to remove a set of EMA-based acrylics by soaking in acetone but up to 2 hours to remove MMA-based ones. In order to save time, discount salons often pry or nip the acrylic nail off which pulls off layers of the natural nail and may injure the matrix (which is crucial in the formation of cells for the new nail) leading to permanent deformities of the nail.
HAZARD SUMMARY from the Materials Data Safety Sheet

MMA has a strong, sharp, fruity odour and can affect you when breathed in.

It may damage the developing fetus.

Exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, and throat.

MMA can cause a skin allergy.

Exposure could damage the nervous system. Symptoms may include Apins and needles@, numbness, weakness, and changes in the ability to remember and concentrate.

Severe side effects may include abnormal liver or kidney function, nervous system damage and reproductive problems.
Have You Been Exposed to MMA?
Heres how to tell:

Low pricing for acrylic service (not a special sale or offer).

Acrylic difficult or impossible to remove with acetone or other solvents.

Technicians or management secretive about acrylic product brands used. Just because they have a Name brand polish in the salon does not mean they are using that brand of acrylic. Ask to see original containers.

Technicians often wear masks to prevent inhalation of the powerful distinct odour - Noxious, sharp and fruity.
Based on available information, I believe knowingly using MMA is irresponsibly endangering the client’s health. It is inexpensive to buy and its use it obviously driven by greed and not professional concern for clients.
When in doubt, pick a knowledgeable, reputable technician and choose UV Gel Nails, Silkwraps, Fibreglass or a Natural Nail Manicure. Ask many questions and if the tech cannot answer them to your satisfaction choose another salon. It’s your health that is at stake.

There are several ways around the laws that are meant to protect the public, some business owners are only concerned about the ability to make a profit quickly, instead of a slow steady increase.

In Idaho, there are 5 inspectors to cover the entire state. (it's a rather large state, the inspector in our area must travel 4 to 5 hours from the center of his district to follow up on complaints if in fact a complaint actually makes it that far) First, the complaint is made to the Bureau of Occupational Licenses and filed with the Board of Cosmetology Secretary, who then passes it on to the Board. They meet 3 times per year and at this time they decide whether the complaint warrants an investigation. Then they if they decide they will send the inspector to the salon for a full investigation. If the complaint is lodged the day AFTER board meeting it will have to wait 4 months until it is reviewed by the board, this is usually what happens, so the NSS "closes" simply to apply for a new license with a new business name and a new owner. Now, even though it is the same people working in the same location, using the same sub standard product, they are "safe" for another 4 months. The salon like this in our area has 2 locations they move back and forth between. Makes me crazy!!! It is usually the teen age girls that go to them and they go for a 1 time set to have their nails done for the dances and then they pick, pry tear and chew them off.

Lana said:
What You Should Know Before
You Have Your Nails Done!

Susan Stein of Foothill Ranch snagged a finger on her soapy hair about a year ago. She expected to find a crack in one of her MMA-based acrylic nails. But as the water cleared the shampoo bubbles away, she noticed that the acrylic nail was lifting off her finger, taking the natural nail with it. And the same thing was happening on her other fingers.
Helen Gomez of Mississauga, On. had her nails done for 2 years at what she considered a reputable salon in Brampton. She repeatedly questioned her nail technician as to the condition of her natural nails and was repeatedly assured that they were fine. Three years ago, just a few days before Christmas, Gladys decided not to travel to Brampton and chose to have her nails done in Mississauga. When her new technician (Cindy MacNeil) began to perform the service both the technician and Gladys were horrified. As bits of loose MMA-based acrylic came away so did Gladys’ natural nail. All of her natural nails were the consistency of wet toilet paper. The MMA was so thick (in spite of the appearance of thin nails) that the service took over 3 hours just to remove the enhancements and two years before healthy nails began to emerge. This is a sad reality of MMA enhancements.... you don’t see the damage until it is too late. It can take up to one year for the nail to replace itself and hopefully it is not permanently deformed.
Last year women spent more than $4 billion on artificial fingernails and business continues to boom. But underneath that veneer is a chaotic scene of unanswered questions, brutal competition and even claims of racism. At issue is a chemical called Methyl methacrylate, or MMA. Millions of women who paid for acrylic nail services in recent years may have been unknowingly exposed to the chemical, which has been blamed for fungal infections, nail plate damage, nail loss and deformation, loss of sensation in the fingertips and respiratory aliments and other numerous problems. In 1974 the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) declared it to be a Responsible manufacturers quickly and voluntarily switched their salon clients over to Ethyl methacrylate (EMA), a more expensive and safer bonding liquid. Reputable nail salons followed suit. The difference in EMA and MMA is the same as the difference between wood alcohol (methanol) and beverage alcohol (ethanol). Wood alcohol when consumed is deadly. Beverage alcohol is considered safe (if not used in excess!).
MMA is safely used to make resins, plastics, and specifically plastic dentures. In the case of the dental industry these processes are done outside of the mouth. Once cured, dental composites are safe when placed in contact with human tissue. The exposure rate is also different. Acrylic nails are filled every 2 - 3 weeks. A dental client may only have a few prostheses throughout their lifetime.
Discount salons may offer a full set of nails for $25 compared to $50 or more at their competitors. Some of the differences can be explained by the low overhead of the discount salons, which often operate in cheap storefronts and rely on poorly trained, low wage technicians. But the main reason for this price difference is the use of MMA which can cost as little as $15 a gallon compared to as much as $300 for a gallon of EMA.
The problem with MMA is that its atoms are so small that they easily penetrate the skin and nail plate. MMA is a Asensitizer@ that can cause irritation and allergic reactions once it is in contact with the skin. EMA is much safer, larger in atomic size, and doesn’t damage nail plates. It is also hundreds of times less likely to cause allergic reactions.
While it is the incredible strength of MMA enhancements that attracts some users, it is not appropriate or safe for use on soft nail tissue. MMA-based products have extremely poor adhesion. For enhancements to adhere, the natural nail plate receives severe abrasions (horizontal grooves carved by a large oversized drill bit). The nail plate must be overly filed (drilled) and excessively thin before the methyl methacrylate artificial nail is applied. It is this dangerous strength that increases the potential for nail damage when applied to the weakened nail plate. If the nail breaks the whole nail plate may be removed. Women have had their natural nails ripped out (sometimes permanently) because the MMA acrylic did not break off when exposed to trauma.
Salons using large or oversize brushes in order to save time, make beads of acrylic that are far too wet! The belly of a large brush can carry enough liquid for 4 medium wet beads (or three nails)! This means the product, which may appear to be hardened, does not set up in the correct amount of time and the harmful chemical MMA leeches through the nail plate, into the nail bed and then directly into the blood stream. In short, brushes that are too large don’t save time, they can lead to serious allergic reactions.
MMA creates nails which are not easily removed without causing severe damage to the nail plate. It takes only 30 - 35 minutes to remove a set of EMA-based acrylics by soaking in acetone but up to 2 hours to remove MMA-based ones. In order to save time, discount salons often pry or nip the acrylic nail off which pulls off layers of the natural nail and may injure the matrix (which is crucial in the formation of cells for the new nail) leading to permanent deformities of the nail.
HAZARD SUMMARY from the Materials Data Safety Sheet

MMA has a strong, sharp, fruity odour and can affect you when breathed in.

It may damage the developing fetus.

Exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, and throat.

MMA can cause a skin allergy.

Exposure could damage the nervous system. Symptoms may include Apins and needles@, numbness, weakness, and changes in the ability to remember and concentrate.

Severe side effects may include abnormal liver or kidney function, nervous system damage and reproductive problems.
Have You Been Exposed to MMA?
Heres how to tell:

Low pricing for acrylic service (not a special sale or offer).

Acrylic difficult or impossible to remove with acetone or other solvents.

Technicians or management secretive about acrylic product brands used. Just because they have a Name brand polish in the salon does not mean they are using that brand of acrylic. Ask to see original containers.

Technicians often wear masks to prevent inhalation of the powerful distinct odour - Noxious, sharp and fruity.
Based on available information, I believe knowingly using MMA is irresponsibly endangering the client’s health. It is inexpensive to buy and its use it obviously driven by greed and not professional concern for clients.
When in doubt, pick a knowledgeable, reputable technician and choose UV Gel Nails, Silkwraps, Fibreglass or a Natural Nail Manicure. Ask many questions and if the tech cannot answer them to your satisfaction choose another salon. It’s your health that is at stake.

Very informative and insightfull thanks for the info some of it I was aware of but I 100% agree with all you have said particularly the last statement, there are unfortunately more of these salons poping up everywhere and I for one cannot see it as ''healthy'' competition as like you say they are not considering the health of the client and are only concerned with lining their pockets and the sad thing is most of their clients dont know what they are letting themselves in for before it is too late. Fair enough if they knew what this stuff was and waht it can do but they never find out till later and then they class any acrylic in the same catagory and the rumour continues that acrylic is bad for your nails - yes this type is but they dont know the difference between the two they dont even know there are two types. I feel that we loose business as acrylic nail techs due to this type of salon being a bad example and a general client will not know all this info and just think all acrylics will damage your nails. Unfortunately I hear it time and time again and once their faith is lost it is very hard to tell them otherwise even if you know what you use is nothing like their MMA.
Its really annoying I know a fact of life but annoying all the same. I also know that threads come up like this time and time again where nail techs are wanting to stop this. I just feel if we all give up and just get on with our own jobs and ignore this then it will be allowed to carry on, and I myself am concerned about my clients nails when they have been to these places and have had dirty instruments such as credit cards used to push back their cuticles arghhhhhh. I can happily get on with my job and I dont let the whol MMA thing get on top of me but when I see evidence of disfigured fingers and nails from this bad service it angers me as that poor client hasnt got a leg to stand on by the sounds of it.
:(

These posts were 2006 and MMA is still be used in the uk

WHY!!!! Its so frustrating!!

a ban on MMA isnt going to happen over night (unfortunately!) but I think that peoples awareness and local governments are sitting up and listening more (Plus Habia etc. and following good codes of practice is always good!)

I know that my local council are doing something about salon standards in West Sussex and are visiting salons who do nail treatments

I had my meeting with my local EHO in December, I'm glad to say that it was very through and it wasn't just about products and how we sanitise etc... it was about all aspects of health and safety with employers in mind too.

Jess x

EzFlow Master Artist Educator
www.polishednailsalon.co.uk ..... EzFlow Education for Sussex & Surrey

Latest posts

Back