Mobile business hours and childcare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailstarlet

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I am moving in 2 weeks and am starting to worry alittle! I am going to start up a mobile beauty buisness when i move, we have three children (7, 5 and 2)and at the moment when i work either they are in school/nursery, with my husband (there dad) or with my best friend. However when we move i dont know anyone and my husband is away for 6 months. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you get around it without paying big childcare fees! Also what hours do those of you that work mobile actually work, as im only going to be able to do 9 to 12 mon to fri as it stands at the moment. Its a nightmare, any advice or help would be gratefully recived. Thank you xxx

can you not put your youngest in nursery for longer hours? Theres also after school clubs too for your little ones that are at school. You dont have to put them in every day just maybe put them in one or two times a week so at least you can have two full days of work rather than little bits here and there.

If you have a spare room in your house could you not do evening appointments from home? There is a downside to this if your kids wake up, or like me your house always looks like a bombs hit it (kids hey!!)!

I know clients dont mind coming to your home because it can be more convienient for them but you have to evaluate it.

The other option is to look in your post office or ask around your new neighbours if they know of any young girls/old ladies etc looking for babysitting work. Then you can always do one or two late nights this way.

Maybe your existing clients have a teenage daughter looking for extra cash.

I moved to a new area 2 hours away from my family, friends and a very successful salon to a redneck backwards town but managed to set up again, and I found 3 lovely girls with mature heads on their shoulders who babysit for me. (although this is just when I want a night out lol)

Kate

Hello!

You'll be interested to know I started my first mobile beauty service in Colchester, the other thing was I was very successful and did very well, especially on the army patch!

Your work - well it is hard to plan around. I have two kids and have to get childcare when I can - most clients are accomodating and work with you if you have kids but there are some who only want evenings and weekends.

Some clients even brought their kids to my house, and my son who was a baby was also there. People understand if they have kids.

I would try it out and see, most nurseries don't want the kids here and there and want a full time contract from you.

From what I can remember, another bonus in Colchester is there WAS a shopper's creche, a place where you can pay and drop off your kids to go to work/shopping. Thought the idea was great!

I hope I have helped you here.

Hi there, I have 2 boys aged 7 and 4. I work Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
The youngest goes to nursery from 9 - 3.30 on tuesday and Friday - using 4 of his allocated 5 sessions and I pay a bit extra for him to stay over the lunch period - about £3 per day. This gives me 2 full-ish days to get clients in. I also work Tues and Fri evenings and Saturdays from 10-4.
My hubby is quite often away with work or back late - sometimes at short notice! I have two teenagers who babysit for me and sometimes a friend will babysit - and I give her a discount off her treatments.
The kids are great and if needed can even put my kids to bed, although i try and avoid this!
As previous posters have said, you'll find your clients with kids are very accommodating - even the ones without are brilliant with me.
In half-terms I try and make all my appts in the evenings or alternatively just on one day so that the cost of holiday club and nursery is covered.
Good Luck!

Thank you for your suggestions, I have decided to have set working hours and put my youngest into nursery for these hours i.e 9 to 3 (school hours) and just do one evening a week and get a babysitter for that evening. I am not going to be able to do weekends unless its for weddings in which case i will have plenty of time to arrange childcare! I hope this is going to work out, as at the moment I work all hours to fit clients in, I have a real problem saying no!! Hence the reason I am working all day tomorrow till late eve, even though we move on friday!!! Its a nightmare! Anyway lots of packing to do so thank you again for your help, I think i was just fretting really but its good to know your all out there to help when its needed! Your all stars! xx

Mel xx:hug:

Latest posts

Back