Mobile hairdresser tricks and handy tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icklenat

Reaction score
Hi geeks im new to mobile hairdressing after being in the salon for 7 years ive decided to break away from the crappy wage im just wondering if theres any handy hints and tips about going into peoples homes that would be beneficial for me to know ie do u take an add on shower head? I take all my own shampoos products etc also do ypu still sell your products to clients? What about if theres an awkward barrier? Thankyou :))) x

Hiya,
First of all well done for taking the plunge!! I did & it's the best thing I've ever done :) I'm really busy and have a good reliable clientele.
I never need to take a shower head as all my clients have one in some form & it's also in my terms & conditions on my website.
I take a floor covering for when I colour which I got for salons direct, clients like it as it looks professional.
Saloncide spray to disinfect my combs etc while I'm out & about.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it. :)

Thankyou have you ever felt you needed a portable wash basin i had one of my older ladys today and shes quite immobile it was hard to shampoo her over the sink i advised her properly better if she shampoos it herself by maybe getting a shower/bath before i come! Also do u take a trolly im finding most people will stick you a chair in the middle with no table around it?

Well done! Best thing I ever did also!
I don't take a shower head,
You learn to work with what you've got. For clients who don't have a shower head we do it in te sink and il fill the sink bowl up first and use a jug out of that a refill the water (sounds nitty gritty but loads faster than waiting for the tap to fill your jug up!)
I do sell products, they're hit and miss but I'v always been a "you can't expect them to recreate the look with supermarket value products" stylist x

Thankyou i think it will bd handy to still keep in line with the selling salon branded product as thats all i use.. Do you find that your website was beneficial to you stacey did u get someone to set this up for you? Im loving being mobile so far less hours for more money also it feels more personal x

This is a great thread! Do you have set working days/hours? Also any advice on gaining new clientele, i've only been mobile for about 6 months x

I always ask to move if they put chair somewhere I can't work properly as its for both our health & safety as I won't be able to colour if I have no side to work from. I always take a spare towel to place on the side when colouring so nothing will stain if splashed or spilt.

I've not needed a portable basin as they seem quite a hassle.
I sell my products to clients but get it as they ask as I don't want to have money tied up in stock, product-wise.

My website has done wonders and costs less than £10 a month. I've got at least 80% of clients that way & keep getting new ones & all rebook & have become regulars.
Make sure you keep an eye on your competition & don't under cut yourself.

Hope that helps a little :)

Thankyou i think it will bd handy to still keep in line with the selling salon branded product as thats all i use.. Do you find that your website was beneficial to you stacey did u get someone to set this up for you? Im loving being mobile so far less hours for more money also it feels more personal x

Totally agree its fab isn't it!! :-D
My website is through 1&1 they give u a choice of domain names and templates and you can easily reword stuff, add pictures etc. so simple its a god send.

When they are lent over the bath give them one if your tinting towels to hold over their face so they don't get water all over them. Also take lots of towels as you need to put them on the surfaces etc so you don't spill tint. Make sure you stick to a certain radius, just because your mobile doesn't mean you should travel far, I only do it in my small town. I find that mobile shower heads were a waste of money, they never fitted on the taps. Also at start of colouring appointment make sure they have turned their hot water on, so it's hot for when they need it washed off. X

When they are lent over the bath give them one if your tinting towels to hold over their face so they don't get water all over them. Also take lots of towels as you need to put them on the surfaces etc so you don't spill tint. Make sure you stick to a certain radius, just because your mobile doesn't mean you should travel far, I only do it in my small town. I find that mobile shower heads were a waste of money, they never fitted on the taps. Also at start of colouring appointment make sure they have turned their hot water on, so it's hot for when they need it washed off. X

Tint bowls is a good idea iv been using face cloths! X

I bought a wee TV table out of Dunelm Mill which folds flat and is the perfect height for me to use like a wee trolley for my foils/colours etc. it's great as I can move it about with me so no more twisting awkwardly to reach my colours or getting clients to move the seat so I can reach my colours. I think it was about £8 so total bargain.

I want to buy a floor covering so I can put that down and not worry about any spillages or colour splashing on the floor!

Also when it comes to stock, I have been buying my base colours and then all my mixtones so I can make any colour I need. I find this works better money wise plus I'm never stuck for a colour!

I just wish I didn't feel like such a pack horse sometimes when going into clients houses! Haha x

I bought a wee TV table out of Dunelm Mill which folds flat and is the perfect height for me to use like a wee trolley for my foils/colours etc. it's great as I can move it about with me so no more twisting awkwardly to reach my colours or getting clients to move the seat so I can reach my colours. I think it was about £8 so total bargain.

I want to buy a floor covering so I can put that down and not worry about any spillages or colour splashing on the floor!

Also when it comes to stock, I have been buying my base colours and then all my mixtones so I can make any colour I need. I find this works better money wise plus I'm never stuck for a colour!

I just wish I didn't feel like such a pack horse sometimes when going into clients houses! Haha x

amazing advice, thanks!!

I use an old double mattress cover as a sheet. (Doesn't look old and can't tell what it used to be)

I use an old double mattress cover as a sheet. (Doesn't look old and can't tell what it used to be)

That's a good idea...is it not quite hard to keep it clean though? The one I've looked at is PVC so should just wipe clean and hair will fall off easily, that's the plan anyway...!

That's a good idea...is it not quite hard to keep it clean though? The one I've looked at is PVC so should just wipe clean and hair will fall off easily, that's the plan anyway...!

No not at all :) literally just a big sheet that I put down folded usually double and then in different shapes, the hair just shakes off and anything that spills just wipes up x

No not at all :) literally just a big sheet that I put down folded usually double and then in different shapes, the hair just shakes off and anything that spills just wipes up x

Very clever. Good idea!

I would get a mobile card machine as clients tend to spend and tip more and it stops that old chestnut of 'I've got no cash on me or can you take a cheque?'

I also bought a mobile manicure table and it great as it has wheels and is very light to carry.

I too am mobile, I use this floor cover PVC Protective Floor Covering 132cm x 150cm Black its think and nonslip so very durable. Make sure its tough enough to withstand wear on original floorboards without puncturing (depending on your clients houses) and textured so its non slip!!

I also have a portable backwash its a sibel deep back wash which I ONLY use at my house if clients come to me. I tried it with a bin at first to collect waste water, its so messy and was a pain. So with some modification of the basin hose I have been able to connect it to the waste under my kitchen sink (where the washing machine connects to). For the spray hose (i have a mixer kitchen tap) I had to buy a garden hose to tap connector and then bought a shower head and hose and connected it to the garden hose connector which fits to my tap. over all Its great for washing off colours but there is no way I would dream of taking that to clients houses, it would take too long to set up and the time involved means you are their longer. Most of my regular colour clients come to me for colour and if just cut etc I go to them.

If I do have to go to a clients house for colour do it in their kitchen. I use the side/work top for foils etc and I make the client move the chair around so i can switch sides to reach colour or foils. I stand my tool bag this one ( Lotus Equipment Carry Case, Beauty Tool Carry Case ) on the worktop and place my back mirror standing up in front of it which works well for checking haircuts.

Other stuff I carry are a 3 meter electric extension cord (in case your not near a plug socket) small dust pan and brush, extra towels and lots of plastic bags (for wet towels, used foils waste etc)

Also, if you are in the UK you could join the Freelance Hair and Beauty Federation which makes you look professional and they also do insurance too. They have regional groups so you can meet up with for training etc and makes you feel like you are not on your own/for advice etc this is the link http://www.fhbf.org.uk/index.php

Good Luck!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am mobile, I use this floor cover PVC Protective Floor Covering 132cm x 150cm Black its think and nonslip so very durable. Make sure its tough enough to withstand wear on original floorboards without puncturing (depending on your clients houses) and textured so its non slip!!

I also have a portable backwash its a sibel deep back wash which I ONLY use at my house if clients come to me. I tried it with a bin at first to collect waste water, its so messy and was a pain. So with some modification of the basin hose I have been able to connect it to the waste under my kitchen sink (where the washing machine connects to). For the spray hose (i have a mixer kitchen tap) I had to buy a garden hose to tap connector and then bought a shower head and hose and connected it to the garden hose connector which fits to my tap. over all Its great for washing off colours but there is no way I would dream of taking that to clients houses, it would take too long to set up and the time involved means you are their longer. Most of my regular colour clients come to me for colour and if just cut etc I go to them.

If I do have to go to a clients house for colour do it in their kitchen. I use the side/work top for foils etc and I make the client move the chair around so i can switch sides to reach colour or foils. I stand my tool bag this one ( Lotus Equipment Carry Case, Beauty Tool Carry Case ) on the worktop and place my back mirror standing up in front of it which works well for checking haircuts.

Other stuff I carry are a 3 meter electric extension cord (in case your not near a plug socket) small dust pan and brush, extra towels and lots of plastic bags (for wet towels, used foils waste etc)

Also, if you are in the UK you could join the Freelance Hair and Beauty Federation which makes you look professional and they also do insurance too. They have regional groups so you can meet up with for training etc and makes you feel like you are not on your own/for advice etc this is the link http://www.fhbf.org.uk/index.php

Good Luck!:)

That's the floor covering I have been looking at! So it's a good choice then?

And having an extension lead is the best thing I've done! First time I went to one of my regular clients house to do her blowdry and tong, she had to sit so close to the wall so the cord could reach as it's really short! So I was like right, I need an extension lead!

I think the longer you do mobile you will come across situations like that where you think "oh if I had X it would make life easier" and you can then buy what you need or work out what would work best. It's a learning curve!

My husband had a roll of builders plastic (orange) in the shed. He cuts me a good size piece off & I use this this to protect floor! Dead easy to pick up hair from too! Folds away easily in my bag, if it gets tatty I have a new piece! When it's new it can be static, I just shake talcum powder over it, no more static! X

Latest posts

Back