Mobile/sole therapists - uniforms?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemansamsmum

Reaction score
I am a mobile therapist with occasional bits done at home to suit my clients. Before I went self employed I worked in a very starchy spa that required a strict uniform and rules on what colour your hair could be, how it was dressed for work and what make up you had to wear.
Since going mobile I've worn black tunic with leggings and white ballet pumps, however my tunic is massively too big for me since losing some weight and it got me thinking about what I should wear for work.
I go to a home salon for my intimate waxing and my therapist wears jeans/normal clothes - at first I was really taken aback by this as it didn't seem that professional to me - however it is no reflection on her as a waxer! She's Kim lawless trained and I wouldn't go anywhere else for my holly woods.

But I personally wouldn't want to wear my jeans to work. I'm quite individual in my day to day style - tattooed and stretched ears, with bright hair and I wear a lot of bodycon dresses in a 50s wiggle dress style over leggings with converse. I was wondering how it would be if I had a uniform that reflected my style such as a bodycon stretchy polkadot dress with my leggings and pumps. I tried it out on a client yesterday and she was very agreeable as she said she wouldn't expect uniforms unless in a spa or salon, but I know her quite well - I don't want to put new clients off. I think it looked professional as well as individual and "me" but would like some more input before I but another four dresses etc! Oh and I always cover my tattoos up until I know the client etc!

I think if you have the same dress in 2/3 different colours - then that would make a nice uniform. It still looks neat and smart - customers still recognise it as your salon attire so appreciate the effort - and you're still comfortable / yourself.

I adore the kind of dresses you're talking about - and if I didn't have the figure I have I'd have that as my salon uniform absolutely.

As it is - I have t-shirts with the salon details printed on and wear with comfortable bottoms (loose black pants, a skirt and leggings or black fitted jeans) and black dolly shoes.

Didnt want to read and run but I think it's better having a tunic/tshirt printed with your logo if I'm honest. It gives more of a first impression/professional impression that you take your business seriously. Don't meant to be negative. xx

I'm the opposite, I wear whatever I want. I'm still professional and fairly smart, my clients know that their hair will look great, I don't feel that I'm unprofessional. In fact I know it as I always have clients booking their next appointments!
I personally don't really like tunics on myself anyway :)

I'm grateful for all responses :) just because I don't wear a tunic does that show I'm not serious about my business? I'm genuinely concerned about my image as its beauty and image related industry! I wonder whether a compromise would be plain black stretchy dresses with my company logo embroidered or printed on to them? Then I could wear them with leggings/cropped leggings in summer and thick tughts in winter?

I think that expectations of uniform/dress really vary, depending on what you do. I have worked both as a hairdresser and a beautician, and now I have moved on solely to waxing. In hairdressing within a salon and doing mobile I found it more acceptable to wear your own clothes as it shows a sense of your own style and personality.
However, when doing treatments like intimate waxing I prefer a tunic and trousers, as I find that with waxing, clients prefer a more formal uniform. (I have asked opinions, especially when the weather is hot and im boiling to death in my tunic and black trousers).
I suppose it also depends on whether you are city centre, little village, mobile, salon based, and the age of your clients.
Waffled on a bit there :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've been wearing black tunic and trousers but it's so uncomfortable and hot! I've just ordered some black aprons with my logo embroidered and am going to wear black t shirt and leggings under the apron. Comfy but professional. I do mostly waxing and tans.

I just dress smartly in pencil skirts and nice tops. All in the same colour palette of pale pink and grey as per my salon colours. I make sure my hair and make up is nice and neat also xx

Sorry, I didn't mean that you weren't serious, but I think sometimes this is the impression it gives, I've had a mobile hairdresser turn up looking dead scruffy before, and thought to myself "she could have made a bit of effort" but to be honest I am more interested in the work they do, I didn't get her back because she cut my hair wonky - not because of what she looked like. And I am a bit OCD with everything matching so would want to have the same coloured tunic as my flyers/business card etc etc. When I was mobile before I always wore a tunic as I just couldn't decide what to wear and didn't want to get my own clothes ruined. I think your idea of a dress with your logo on it would work perfect. I also think the apron idea is great! x

Latest posts

Back