Monomer discoloration

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeby

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here :)

I am really new to the field having only completed my nail technician class a few weeks back (license will arrive in a couple of weeks, yay!)
I am having a couple of issues however, and the first issue leads me to my second issue.

First: I purchased some monomer off of Ebay. The monomer I purchased was the EZFlow Q Monomer, which I have used before with no problems. I knew I was taking a risk purchasing it off Ebay, but my main concern was that the seal be intact. When it arrived it was not opened so I was relieved. A couple of weeks later though, the monomer went from the normal nice clear purple to a muddy brown, almost black color. It is no thicker and smells the same, but the color really has me thrown off. I have never dipped my brush in the bottle etc... I pour the monomer from the original bottle into a smaller more manageable one, and from the smaller bottle it goes into the dappen dish. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Second: Since using this monomer I seem to have gained an allergy to doing nails! I am in an absolute panic because since beginning my training I have absolutely fallen in love (LOVE!!!) with doing nails and everything about them. During my course, my instructor taught us early on that our skin should have zero contact with the product, if we can help it.
I have done all I can to prevent any product from contacting both my clients and my skin, and so far I thought I had done a darn good job! Yes, mistakes do happen, of course I have gotten some monomer on my skin before, but I didn't think that I had been in contact so much that it would have caused an allergy this quickly.
Now when I do nails I get these horrible blisters and extremely itchy rashes on my index and middle finger of my right (dominant) hand as well as on the wrist and partially up my forearm, I also get the blisters and rash on the webbing of my pinky finger on my left hand. The symptoms take two to three days to go away.
As I said, none of this had happened before using this monomer, there is no expiration date on the bottle, and I am not seasoned enough to know how long the monomer keeps before expiring (if it even does expire). During my training as well as in the Milady book, not to mention my countless research on this, contact dermatitis takes quite a while before it affects someone. I have only been doing nails a little over a couple of months :( I am devastated.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I plan on going to a dermatologist as soon as I can find one that accepts my insurance. Until then, I turn to you all :)

Thank you, and sorry for the VERY long post!

Poor you ...
It sounds like you have been hoodwinked by another ebay scam and knock off product made to look like the real thing. PLEASE do not buy from eBay! In the news section of this site there is a recent article about just this sort of thing. These products are dangerous.

Practically you need to get a small sample of the real thing, and see if you have any reaction to it. No monomer should go black as I'm sure you know. most monomers would not contain anything that you would react t o so quickly, especially as you are educated about it and are careful.

If you do have a reaction to some chemical/s in normal monomers, then try CND Radical or Retention+ monomer which are less reactive than other monomers and many who are allergic to something in normal monomers work very well with these products.

I guess the lesson here is to never buy supposed professional products fom eBay and to stick to legitimate avenues of supply. Money generated from the sale of knock off goods also has been proved to be funding terrorism and drugs with which I'm sure you would not wish to be involved. X

I wish I could say that I am shocked by this, sadly I am not :( I will never buy from Ebay again, and I will definitely try the products you recommended. I really hope that I am able to continue working with hands and nails because I can't see myself doing anything else at this point. My heart was broken, but the information you've provided has given me hope!!

Now my next hump to cross will be finding a good job at a reputable salon. Problem is, here in Utah, most salons willing to hire newbies are MMA/Discount salons (which I will refuse to work at). Bleh!

Thank you so much for your advice, it is invaluable :)

I wish I could say that I am shocked by this, sadly I am not :( I will never buy from Ebay again, and I will definitely try the products you recommended. I really hope that I am able to continue working with hands and nails because I can't see myself doing anything else at this point. My heart was broken, but the information you've provided has given me hope!!

Now my next hump to cross will be finding a good job at a reputable salon. Problem is, here in Utah, most salons willing to hire newbies are MMA/Discount salons (which I will refuse to work at). Bleh!

Thank you so much for your advice, it is invaluable :)

Honey, I think your problem is definitely something in THAT monomer. I'm sure you will be able to use others and have the career you hope for. CND products are developed absolutely with safety in mind where all their products are concerned. Although a few can become allergic to anything if overexposed, you are far less likely to become sensitive with CND. Plus Shellac is a CND product, the REAL Shellac, not the gel polishes.

The owner of this site is from Salt Lake! Find a nice salon or start your own thing. Wishing you a little luck and allot of success. X

I have been wanting to go with CND; I tried some of their cover pink and adore it! So when you mentioned them, I was very happy :)

Wow! The owner is from here?!? Since I started lurking around these forums I assumed it was a UK/Euro site :) You know what they say about those who assume though, eh? :)

I have been wanting to go with CND; I tried some of their cover pink and adore it! So when you mentioned them, I was very happy :)

Wow! The owner is from here?!? Since I started lurking around these forums I assumed it was a UK/Euro site :) You know what they say about those who assume though, eh? :)

Well you are half right .. he is from there but lives in the UK. He started the site when he lived in the USA many years ago. Now it is the largest of its type in the world. Great man, great site and welcome to it. CND is la bomba for everything! :D

Theres a huge industry for fake cosmetics and products on ebay, I definitely wouldnt buy anything off there. The fact that the monomer did something that it shouldnt is an indication thats its most likely fake and you dont know what harmful chemicals could be in it. There was a lady in the uk just been caught selling fake makeup from china on ebay with 3x amount of lead thats safe to use. Scary

I bought a kit off eBay about 2 years ago before I had any training in nails at all. This was a cheap product with not much information on the bottle. I used it a couple of times but throughout and since my course I have only used professional products. It was about December last year when I was cleaning out my things when I came across this kit, the monomer was like a really dirty red, you could say muddy. It has a strong smell, it's cheap and not much information. I'm thinking mma?

I bought a kit off eBay about 2 years ago before I had any training in nails at all. It has a strong smell, it's cheap and not much information. I'm thinking mma?
Even cheap EMA can be a nasty and odourful product without being MMA - the only way to know for sure is an extremely expensive test in very rare labs...

Second: Since using this monomer I seem to have gained an allergy to doing nails! I am in an absolute panic because since beginning my training I have absolutely fallen in love (LOVE!!!) with doing nails and everything about them. During my course, my instructor taught us early on that our skin should have zero contact with the product, if we can help it.
I have done all I can to prevent any product from contacting both my clients and my skin, and so far I thought I had done a darn good job! Yes, mistakes do happen, of course I have gotten some monomer on my skin before, but I didn't think that I had been in contact so much that it would have caused an allergy this quickly.
Now when I do nails I get these horrible blisters and extremely itchy rashes on my index and middle finger of my right (dominant) hand as well as on the wrist and partially up my forearm, I also get the blisters and rash on the webbing of my pinky finger on my left hand. The symptoms take two to three days to go away.
Allergies can occur with FIRST contact in SOME people.. the higher the irritant (the less suitable the product) the higher the chance of developing irritation/ allergy...
If you are reacting to this product you need to dispose of it STRAIGHT away ... If you have reacted this quickly you need to be super carefull with ALL monomers from now on as you are highly likely to develop allergies to other brands...

take a read of the following article on allergies
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/186729-science-topic-allergies.html

hth's

Thank you, Envy, great article! I disposed of the monomer and am buying more tomorrow from a reputable supply store. I am still hanging on to the hope that I am now not allergic to all monomers, though I am fairly certain I will be buying some nitrile gloves just in case. As I said in my original post, I can't see myself doing anything but nails, so if taking extra precautions means I can continue, I am happy to take the necessary steps :)

You are most welcome. Glad to hear your enthusiasm for nails - and especially your plan to look after yourself...
Allen

Latest posts

Back