Moving out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkedgirl

Reaction score
Hiya geeks :)
As the title says, i'm moving out from my parent's house to one of my own and frankly- I'm terrified. I was wondering if any of you had any advice or tips for me? Trying to pack up all my stuff is daunting, you never realise how much stuff you've got until you need to pack it :(
How did you feel when you first "flew the nest"? Did anything make it easier?
Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek mobile app

Only tip I can give is leave some stuff there ;) haha! I moved out in February and some stuff is still at my mum & dads! Are you moving in with someone or just yourself? I was petrified at first but I've moved in with my boyfriend & I love it! Don't be scared once you get into your little routine you will love it, I promise! Are you moving far? I'm 5 mins along the road & in my grandads old flat so that's made me better too! Massive good luck :) xxx

Well done and good luck with the move.

You could look at moving your things in stages if its too overwhelming to do it in one go.

Also make sure you throw away or donate to charity any things you no longer want or need.

Make sure you have enough of the practical stuff like plates, cutlery etc.

Get loads of friends to help you on the moving day. And make sure you label the boxes with their contents & what room they go in. It will make moving so easy.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Moving in with a close friend for a month or two then he leaves and my boyfriend moves in :)
I was thinking about leaving some stuff but to be honest i think i'd do better just getting it over and done with.
Still needing plates and cutlery actually, completely forgot haha
It's scary cause it's officially happening in 18 days and i've only got a fifth of my stuff actually packed :eek:

Thanks for your advice and wisdom and thanks for the luck- i'm gonna need it haha xx

Moving in with a close friend for a month or two then he leaves and my boyfriend moves in :)
I was thinking about leaving some stuff but to be honest i think i'd do better just getting it over and done with.
Still needing plates and cutlery actually, completely forgot haha
It's scary cause it's officially happening in 18 days and i've only got a fifth of my stuff actually packed :eek:

Thanks for your advice and wisdom and thanks for the luck- i'm gonna need it haha xx

I started buying the silly things a year ago so I had a kitchen full by the time we got the keys! There's always going to be stuff you forget, like I said to my mum about my calendar today & realized I don't have pins to put it up! You'll get there eventually & I know how scary it is I'm only 20 & it was really scary but once your settled you'll see how nice it is, especially that your boyfriend is moving in too :)
Let us know how it goes! Xx

I agree with the above posters. Do it in stages.

I moved out last year at age 26. I am 1 mile away from my mum and it broke my heart. I now stay there 1/2 nights a week as my oh works nights and I go up for dinner after work most evenings. I have my old bedroom still and to me it's still home.

Was hard because I never lived with anyone before never mind a messy man!

I guess how difficult you find it depends on you as an individual, how independent you are and your relationships with your family. Best of luck with the move, you'll be fine x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone :)
Moving to the other side of town from my parents, which is scary bit beneficial as i'll be 5 mins away to get a bus to college!
I took the advice of labelling my boxes, ended up unpacking and re-packing too lol
I actually am quite an independant person, but sometimes you just need your mum or dad (or i do lol)
I'll probably feel totally different when i actually move, i've been needing my own space for a few years now. Plus i get the fun of decorating ;)
I'm 20 in may, kinda started to feel suffocated living with my parents- mostly my siblings though.
Thanks again everyone :) xx

Im out of home a year now and loving it! No way would I ever go back unless there was no other alternative. Me and my mum get on way better than we did and ive got my freedom when I want it! It gave me the push to become more sensible, get a 'proper' career going and depend on no one but myself!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for that! :)
Starting to get really excited now, can't wait to get my freedom! Also means i'll actually have time now to focus on my career and college work :)
Thanks so much to everyone again, you've given me a real confidence boost! :) xx

Can any geeks dundee based or close to dundee recommend a good van hire? We've been trying quite a few and coming up against brick walls :( x

I agree with the above posters. Do it in stages.

I moved out last year at age 26. I am 1 mile away from my mum and it broke my heart. I now stay there 1/2 nights a week as my oh works nights and I go up for dinner after work most evenings. I have my old bedroom still and to me it's still home.

Was hard because I never lived with anyone before never mind a messy man!

I hope my daughter doesn't do this when she moves out. When she's out she bleeding well OUT!

Im out of home a year now and loving it! No way would I ever go back unless there was no other alternative. Me and my mum get on way better than we did and ive got my freedom when I want it! It gave me the push to become more sensible, get a 'proper' career going and depend on no one but myself!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Now that sounds more like it!

I hope my daughter doesn't do this when she moves out. When she's out she bleeding well OUT!

I agree!! I found out I was pregnant when I was 16 and there was no way I was bringing my son up while still living with my mum! I moved out straightaway and found my independence (I was a single mum) then when he was 8 months old I moved 30 miles away to a different town on my own and I've loved every minute of it. I'm now 20 I have 2 sons, a very stable, happy relationship, lovely big house in a nice area and I never ask my mum or dad for help. I do all the cooking, cleaning, I know everything you need to know about council tax, bills etc. I think moving out at a young age is essential to learn how to look after yourself! I will be encouraging my boys to move out as soon as they turn 16!! Haha xxx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back