Moving to Canada!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyx

Reaction score
I am just wondering if my nvq level 2 and 3 beauty will be recognised over in canada? (Alberta) we aren't planning to move until 2015 so I could retrain if necessary however as it's expensive it's not something I am wanting to do if I can avoid it. Tried to google it but it's all so confusing!:eek:
If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it
Thanks xx

I am just wondering if my nvq level 2 and 3 beauty will be recognised over in canada? (Alberta) we aren't planning to move until 2015 so I could retrain if necessary however as it's expensive it's not something I am wanting to do if I can avoid it. Tried to google it but it's all so confusing!:eek:
If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it
Thanks xx

Could you give a breakdown of what nvq2 and 3 entail as we dont call it that here in Canada. We have 2 year Diploma programs at Provincial colleges which is a full body esthetics program. There are fast track programs at various private schools that can qualify you to work in as little as 6 months and then there are weekend courses that qualify you to perform One treatment. Since the only place in Canada where you Have to have a license is Manitoba I believe you should be fine as I myself live in Alberta. The only thing you will need is a status here, landed immigrant, refugee, work visa to name a few.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your reply
Level 2 includes
Manicure , pedicure, facials, waxing and tinting, perming
Level 3, nail enhancements , full body massage, body and facial electrics

I have also done additional courses on my own diploma in fashion and photographic makeup, Indian head massage, gel polish, shrinking violet, HD brows to name a few.
Would any of these be recognised? I believe CIDESCO is recognised over there but I would have to do a full new course and my level 2 and 3 was full time for 2 years . Is there a conversion course or is fully training over there necessary?

What area of Alberta are you thinking of? Your biggest hurdle will be a work permit. Are you coming as a tourist on a student/work visa (there are age restrictions for this one) .
I would google salons in Banff ( the most transient place in Canada) and message a few, saying that your coming over to work and do they know if your credentials will work here.
Websites for job hunting: job bank.gov , kijiji ( jobs, apartments, etc) indeed.ca

For what it's worth, New Brunswick also has strict licensing requirements.

Thinking of Calgary / Canmore /Banff area . Going over in September for a month holiday to check out some different places first.
Yes I'm finding this all quite confusing regarding permits etc so I may have to enlist the help of a professional to make sure it is even possible for us.

Sounds like ypu should be fine :) as far as your qualifications go. Secure your work permit first as there are dime a dozen estheticians here and the potential employer has to go through all Canadians first before asking to hire from abroad.
I live in Calgary, Banff is over priced :(
If you have any questions feel free to pm me
P.s. Depending when you are moving even I may need an employee ;)
Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I have heard Banff is over priced also. I'm coming in September so will probably get in touch with you to book in a treat for myself that's what holidays are for!😉 do you have a treatment menu you could pm me?

Good luck with your move. From google pics I've seen Canada is a beautiful country.:)

Oh wow .... Do hope it goes well for you, iv been to Banff (3 times) ... Loved Canada & the Canadians were sooo lovely & friendly ... What a lovely place in the world to work ... <3

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Thank you :) it is such a beautiful place!!

How do you find Canada? wanna move next year, excited :)

Did it go ok? I'm moving in August! X

Oh great! We will be in Vancouver x

Can I ask how are ya able to move to Canada so easily?

Oh great! We will be in Vancouver x
Hey sorry to jump on an old post but I'm in Vancouver from uk :) how are you finding life in van?

Can I ask how are ya able to move to Canada so easily?

Just so it happens my husband is Canadian so it's easier

We didn't move yet, were planning to move initially in 2017 but we might need to push it in time bit more till2018. Still hoping we will be able to move maybe end of next year though! Can't wait for new start.

To be honest we don't know yet where we want to live, we were visiting Calgary and Edmonton and loved both though so may end up in one of those or Van.

Latest posts

Back