My first set of sculpted acrylics took me 3 hours 45 minutes!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Im feeling very unnerved!
I am training in Harmony fusion acrylic and had my first two days of training last week.
I done a full set of sculpted acrylics on my mum yesterday and it took me 3 hours 45 minutes, including prep!
By the 18th of march I have to complete 10 sets while working 9 - 5 in another job! My wonderful tutor has said she will be lenient if I cant do the full 10 but how am I even supposed to expect someone to take out that long of their time just so I can practise!
Is this even normal? x:Scared:

Every time you do a set you will get your time down.

You can always tempt a friend with a cuppa and a free set :hug:

It took me 4 hours to do my first set on a paying customer when I was working as a trainee in a salon, I remember apologizing profusely, but she was very kind and left with a nice set of nails, she was fully informed before she booked her appointment that it would be a trainee working on her nails so it may take longer and it was offered to her at a discount.

Practice and confidence will bring your times down but it will certainly take you a good few sets to get there. Its also getting used to chatting while you work, keep your eyes on your work and don't stop while chatting.

You will get there :hug:

Thank you so much for both of your replies!
Im glad your first set took as long as mine did as I thought there was no way I was doing it right and that something must have been wrong!
I am looking forward to getting my times down haha x

Wow, that is a long time! There's obviously something that you're struggling with or not confident with. How long does it take you to do a set of tip and overlay?

Re the sculpting, what bit is taking the time? Is it the form placement? That's usually the bit where peope come unstuck. The Fingernail fixer has done a really good tutorial on form placement so have a look at her youtube channel.

I'm sculpting a lot more these days and find it quicker than tipping, because all you have to do is prep, fit forms, then you're on with your acrylic, whereas with tipping you prep, then choose your tip sizes, then go back over and attach your tips, then go back and cit them all down, then go back and blend and shape, when you get the hang of sculpting you will be glad you persevered.

p.s dont forget sculpting isnt suitable for everyone eg nailbiters.

Don't worry it will take time and you will get faster, a client will much prefer as your training to take your time and get perfect nails than panic and rush and then they have problems

We were all slow once hun :)

Of course it's normal if your a beginner. Everyone has to start somewhere and it all starts with practice. I was so nervous on applying my colour gels to begin with now It's like my second nature. Keep practicing, we've all been there.

Thanks for your replies!
Chelle, I dont feel like there was anthing in particular I struggled with, yes the forms were a pain and this is probably where I spent a lot of time.
I dont use tips and havent been trained to use tips either so I couldnt tell you how long it takes me. I will watch fingernail fixers video, and hopefully pick up some tips from there.
I think the filing took up a lot of time! I had prepped, applied all forms and acrylic in 1 & a half hours if I can remember rightly.

Maz, hopefully my clients will appreciate me learning and taking a while to get there haha x

Of course it's normal if your a beginner. Everyone has to start somewhere and it all starts with practice. I was so nervous on applying my colour gels to begin with now It's like my second nature. Keep practicing, we've all been there.

I was the same, when I first started doing Gelish I took agessss! Like an hour & a half now it takes me about 45 minutes! x

I was the same, when I first started doing Gelish I took agessss! Like an hour & a half now it takes me about 45 minutes! x

That's good to know because I'm still at the ageeees stage!! Too fussy me thinks.

Don't worry about the time at the mo, I try not too, it will come with practice.

My first set took me 5 hours... So don't worry, you will get faster :hug:

I've just finished harmony fusion course, my first set too 3 1/2 hours now I'm at 2hrs, after 5weeks lol,
I'm still not fully charging people as I keep stumbling across problems tho x

I've just finished harmony fusion course, my first set too 3 1/2 hours now I'm at 2hrs, after 5weeks lol,
I'm still not fully charging people as I keep stumbling across problems tho x

Oh Claire thats good to know!
I want to practise as much as I can its just finding the time!
Do you not even charge for product cost? x

Everyone takes a long time in the beginning.. You're absolutely normal. lol.

I feel better I done my first set a week ago and took me 4 hours lol it was the buffing down it tool forever to smooth it out! Im dreading doing it again but will practice !

don't worry, im currently training with nail harmony however I'm on week 15 out of 20. My first set took me about 3.5 hours and im now down to 2, still a bit to go but you will find yourself improving without even realising. Take photos of every set too, then by the end you can see your progress :) I was told to do three sets by the following week! This is whilst working nearly 25 hours a week and also attend college! The hard work will pay off, just persevere. Also clients will not mind sitting for a long time, especially if its free. The first sets I did I charged nothing, not I charge £15 as it's still taking me a while to do, you can find my progress and bit more info on the course here TheApprenticeBeautyBlogger | The Diary of a Beauty Apprentice
xx

If you have a nail trainer hand you can practice practice practice with no worrying about taking too long.

Thanks for your replies!
Chelle, I dont feel like there was anthing in particular I struggled with, yes the forms were a pain and this is probably where I spent a lot of time.
I dont use tips and havent been trained to use tips either so I couldnt tell you how long it takes me. I will watch fingernail fixers video, and hopefully pick up some tips from there.
I think the filing took up a lot of time! I had prepped, applied all forms and acrylic in 1 & a half hours if I can remember rightly.

Maz, hopefully my clients will appreciate me learning and taking a while to get there haha x

You will get there, just persevere, keep practising, keep going back to your educator, and evaluate your work critically. The mistake lots of people make is to decide its too hard and give it up in favour of other treatments that are easier to master.
You mentioned you spent a lot of time filing, and it jogged my memory, when you start sculpting its easy to create a free edge that is wider than the nail ought to be, so it increases your filing time. Make sure you are sculpting with your brush not your file, and get the width and shape of the nail right before removing the forms

Nobody can do a good job and a quick job when they first start out.

Everything that is new takes time. We think carefully about each step trying to remember if they are in the right order and if we have done them correctly. After a while, it becomes 2nd nature and your brain does it without much thought at all!

If you've learned to drive, you'll remember the joy of having to remember clutch down, then brake or mirror signal maneuver and keep your hands at 10 and 2. Its not until after you've passed your test and been driving a while that you do all these things without really thinking... while singing along to the radio, eating a bag of monster munch and chatting to 3 passengers :lol:. Nails will be the same eventually, something you have spent so long studying that your brain does everything without a splutter or worry.

Keep at it and concentrate on getting everything right for now, time will drop as you grow more confident and skilled :hug:

Oh Claire thats good to know!
I want to practise as much as I can its just finding the time!
Do you not even charge for product cost? x

I'm only charging £5 at the min and doing from home :) x

Latest posts

Back