My hair has gone too orange

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanJudge

Reaction score
My hair is about a natural level 3 or 4 with a few white hairs, you can only see the white hair under certain lights there's that few.

I impulsively coloured it because i'm impatient a d just used what I had to hand.

So I used Wella 6/0 with some 0/22 and 9% ... I know I should have really used blue to cancel out orange tones but I was hoping the green would do something.

My hair still looks quite dark but under light it's screaming orangey/auburn. I don't think it's awful because i've just got a little tan and the warmth in my hair seems to blend well. So I do like the warmth, hence why i'm dubious about completely neutralising it.

I'd actually like to be a Level 7 - so i'm curious, if I lifted my hair to a 7 with pastel and bleach and wait for it to turn into an orangey/yellow what would happen if I put colour touch 7/89 on there?

But then if I wanted to keep some of the gold as warmth, would I just use 7/8 to take away the orange and keep the yellow?

Hope this makes sense.

If you wanted to keep warmth you could use 7/0 or 7/1.

If you want to completely neutralise it 7/89 is your best bet, or 7/81 in illumina.

Ta Cam.

My hair always turns out brassy, no matter what colour I use. I don't like the brassyness but I do like some warmth, so I don't think 7/0 or 7/1 would work on my hair. Could it be resistant to colour? It just never seems to go as planned.

Will 7/81 Illumina be okay on freshly bleached hair?

If I get my hair to a Level 7 and use Illumina, should I use 6%? And can I use any peroxide or do I have to use Welloxen?

Seeing as you're not wanting to lift it further, I'd use pastel, but if you lift to a 7 and tone with a 7, I'd expect to still see some warmth.

Last edited:
Seeing as you not wanting to lift it further, I'd use pastel, but if you lift to a 7 and tone with a 7, I'd expect to still see some warmth.

Do you think using a tint on freshly stripped/bleached hair would be okay? Just because you said the other week to use colour touch when the hair will be very porous.

I do want to see some warmth I think, just not brassyness.

I've just bought Illumina 7/81 off Ebay, i'm wondering if I should have bought 7/89.

No 7/0 or 7/1 over previously lightened if you're wanting to keep warmth. 7/89 and 7/81 will completely kill warmth.

Next time use 7/81 with 12% if you're a 4, on the virgin root that is. But i was referring to correcting what you already have in my previous post

Is it okay to use 12% on the scalp though, Cam?
I bought Wella Illumina 7/81 off ebay today then tried to cancel it but theyve sent it now, or I could go to Alan Howard tmoz and get the 7/89. I dont know what to do.

Is it okay to use 12% on the scalp though, Cam?
I bought Wella Illumina 7/81 off ebay today then tried to cancel it but theyve sent it now, or I could go to Alan Howard tmoz and get the 7/89. I dont know what to do.

Absolutely.

Ok, blondor and pastel in a 1:4 ratio, lift it to a 7 (orange-yellow).

Once lifted, shampoo and anti oxy.

If you want to keep warmth apply 7/1 in colour touch.

If you want a completely neutral or cool result apply 7/89 or 7/81.

Aw thank you for your patience lol.
I'm goin back to college in September so hopefully wont need to keep asking these questions that are simple and I should know.

I may aswell just use the Illumina then.

Thank you for the help.

One last thing, should I use the Illumina with pastel developer in a 1:1 ratio?

One last thing, should I use the Illumina with pastel developer in a 1:1 ratio?

1:2 with pastel, always 1:2 with pastel whether its kp or illumina.

Well my hair is bright orange/gold lol. Just waiting for this illumina to arrive.

Thanks again for the advice. Thank God for this forum.

Latest posts

Back