My hands and elbows feel bruised, is it a time for change

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade Partridge

Reaction score
I didnt really know where to put this as there isn't a 'Massage' board.....

Im guessing there are others of you out there that do massage full time, I have done it for a few years and never had a problem but for the last week I am in so much pain in my wrists and its started to travel up to the elbow, is there anything i can do?

I do alot of massage and from 3-8 each day I am full with no break between - its a lot of massage but its no different to anything i was doing before but the pain is waking me up in the night :(

Whoever can help you will be saving my winter!!

Hi Jade,
I've been doing lots of deep tissue massage for a few years and from time to time get what you have described-I know it hurts [emoji30]
My GP prescribed naproxen which really helps. Alongside this I always do a bit of a warm up on wrists and hands before massage which helps. The only thing though that really helped me was taking a complete break from doing massage for a good 2 months (in between jobs) but I know this isn't always an option unfortunately.xx

Hi Jade,
I've been doing lots of deep tissue massage for a few years and from time to time get what you have described-I know it hurts [emoji30]
My GP prescribed naproxen which really helps. Alongside this I always do a bit of a warm up on wrists and hands before massage which helps. The only thing though that really helped me was taking a complete break from doing massage for a good 2 months (in between jobs) but I know this isn't always an option unfortunately.xx

With my work Iam lucky to get 3 months holiday a year, I have been doing this for a few years and its the first time, I will definitely see my doctor!
can I ask, when employed by someone else when do you say enough is enough? some days in summer I have 9 full bodies and it kills me, in winter my max is 6-7 as they are all big sporty men

Hiya,
I've had similar problems which were made worse by breaking one of my wrists several times. I've had to adapt as, after 20 years, I know that I can't do massage and reflexology (my favourite treatments) day in day out. I've done a hot stone massage course which really helps as I can use the stones to reduce the impact on my hands. I've also done a no-hands massage course and use some of the techniques from that.

I've also trained in other treatments that would have less impact on my hands. Most of them I've not continued with as I really didn't like doing them but I do now offer manicures and pedicures which means I can work full time which I want to do. I'd say I do 60% holistic and 40% nails which will hopefully keep me working for many more years.

Hope you find a solution.

Thankyou,
I work the mornings doing cosmetics and nails and from 3 i have to do massage.... I have made a doctors appointment for tomorrow so maybe he can give me something to take the pain away, if not I finish in April so will have to wait until then for a well deserved break x

Lava shell massage helps to take the strain off your wrists too

With my work Iam lucky to get 3 months holiday a year, I have been doing this for a few years and its the first time, I will definitely see my doctor!
can I ask, when employed by someone else when do you say enough is enough? some days in summer I have 9 full bodies and it kills me, in winter my max is 6-7 as they are all big sporty men

It's the only downside isn't it? I love doing massage-my favourite treatment but the toll it takes on hands etc is the tough bit.

I think four full hours of massage is the maximum that I would do, or ask anyone else to do per day. And even then I would try and book in treatments such as nails/facials/waxing to break this up so they aren't back to back.

So many places I have worked push therapists to massage for hours at a time. It's short sighted as all that happens is either the therapist leaves or gets signed off with Pain!x

Glad I've seen this thread because it's something worth talking about.

I believe massage is a career with a shelf life. I worked in spas for three years. Ironically, the third one I worked in had really nice management but I had to leave because the pain of daily back to back massage treatments had took its toll on me. I wasn't even well enough to work my notice because of the pain I was in both in and out of work.

I've not massaged since mid 2014 now and I really can't see that changing. I don't think it's something I would even feel well enough to teach to be honest. My plan is to enjoy beauty as a hobby now. I'm enjoying doing nails and looking to do more makeup training because that was my first love with this industry anyway.

My advice would be that you listen to your body because as much as it can be crap to come to terms with it, it may be that your body just can't do massage any more. There comes a point where pushing through it just isn't worth it and in the interests of health it's worth looking into other avenues.

Wishing you well.

I didnt really know where to put this as there isn't a 'Massage' board.....

Im guessing there are others of you out there that do massage full time, I have done it for a few years and never had a problem but for the last week I am in so much pain in my wrists and its started to travel up to the elbow, is there anything i can do?

I do alot of massage and from 3-8 each day I am full with no break between - its a lot of massage but its no different to anything i was doing before but the pain is waking me up in the night :(

Whoever can help you will be saving my winter!!

And if the pain is waking you up in the night you need to stop and you need to stop now. Speaking from experience here.

Also wanting to add here that even new techniques in massage don't help. I did no hands massage the majority of the time and at the end of the day, too much massage, no matter what kind, is too much massage. Especially when employed and not always having the choice of what gets booked in. Even a hot stones or lava shell massage can be too much in context.

I'm saying this because I think it's so important to get it out there that it's ok to call it a day on the massage front.

Also wanting to add here that even new techniques in massage don't help. I did no hands massage the majority of the time and at the end of the day, too much massage, no matter what kind, is too much massage. Especially when employed and not always having the choice of what gets booked in. Even a hot stones or lava shell massage can be too much in context.

I'm saying this because I think it's so important to get it out there that it's ok to call it a day on the massage front.

Being employed is a good point because you often don't have control over what you do. At least being self employed I can decide the maximum number of each treatments that I do.

Hope you're in less pain now and have found something you enjoy.

Latest posts

Back