Nail apex

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickey26

Mobile masseuse and nail technician
Reaction score
I've been looking at a lot of nails since I've started my course. My tutor says you have to do the apex which is fair enough. A lot of nails I've seen have a really exaggerated apex which I think looks fake. What's your take on this??

depends on the shape, stiletto nails require a slightly thicker apex (maybe 3 credit cards thick) others like reasonable length square and round nails require only 2 credit cards thickness at the apex.

What I think your looking are just badly done nails, if you can see the apex from across the room , that is not good :p

If you look the curvature of a nice set of natural nails you will notice they normally follow the shape of a good set of acrylic or gel enhancements. It's not about building a mountain in the centre, its about having the bulk of the product in the centre for strength and tapered out at the edges while still looking like a natural nail.

Can you provide some examples of the images you've seen of 'over exaggerated apex's' (apexi?? what is the plural of apex???? :confused:) I can't say I remember seeing any?? Flat nails with no apex.....hundreds and hundreds... LOL

Can you provide some examples of the images you've seen of 'over exaggerated apex's' (apexi?? what is the plural of apex???? :confused:) I can't say I remember seeing any?? Flat nails with no apex.....hundreds and hundreds... LOL
I'll get a pick of my mates nails tomorrow, I think they are awful but I may be totally wrong haha

Here's a picture of my friends nails, personally I hate them lol

Attachments

• 1448979930956.jpg
    1448979930956.jpg
    39.8 KB
  • 1448979942005.jpg
    1448979942005.jpg
    45.5 KB
I can't quite see properly, can you make them a bit bigger or crop them so we can just see the nail not the background too. They just look badly done to me, they need more refining. Looks like a massive ridge at the cuticle too, but that could just be the picture - that looks like poor application and final finishing skills rather than 'style' choice. I agree, they're not pretty to look at :oops:

At a guess I'd say they are done in a NSS - a cheap £15 a set, churn them out all the same for all clients. I'd suspect they are done with MMA products which make them too hard to file by hand so a drill is used, refining the shape takes time so they don't bother and hide it all under a polish

Apparently she's a professional and she thinks she uses CND, I'm hoping it's not cheap and nasty stuff as I'm doing them next week as they have grown out a lot.

Attachments

• 1448985589933.jpg
    1448985589933.jpg
    27.4 KB
Hope these are better pictures!! I'm glad it's not just me that thinks they look awful, didn't want today anything as I'm not qualified yet and have a lot more to learn and practice x

Attachments

• 1448985608890.jpg
    1448985608890.jpg
    25.6 KB
Pics are much better, thanks :D

Fingers crossed they're OK for rebalancing by you next week then. Let us know how it goes :D

If you're still training and you can spot ugly nails already then you're on the right track. Unfortunately you will also be your own worse enemy....you'll be eternally chasing the 'perfect' nail and your work will never be good enough in your own eyes - welcome to our world :p

The apex does look quite thick but the nails are also very long. They look like a bad set to me but sometimes looks can be deceiving and a client may have a natural high arch in their nails which can make enhancements look claw like when the apex is built.

Apex should be at 50% of length of the nail at a very gradual incline
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449004989.142065.jpg

They look slot nicer lol! Thank you ladies. I don't like saying anything as it just looks like I'm being bitchy but I'm glad it's not just me!! X

depends on the shape, stiletto nails require a slightly thicker apex (maybe 3 credit cards thick) others like reasonable length square and round nails require only 2 credit cards thickness at the apex.

What I think your looking are just badly done nails, if you can see the apex from across the room , that is not good :p

If you look the curvature of a nice set of natural nails you will notice they normally follow the shape of a good set of acrylic or gel enhancements. It's not about building a mountain in the centre, its about having the bulk of the product in the centre for strength and tapered out at the edges while still looking like a natural nail.
I love the use of credit cards as thickness. I have been searching for something on thicknesses of apex and this is perfect. Knowledge is power and the picture of that French nail is also so on point... Totally something to strive for!

Latest posts

Back