Nail Art Photo Comps- What EXACTLY is judged?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok... I just participated in another online comp, which is what provoked this thread.
Living where I do, I've never had benefit of participating in a 'live' competition at a show or whatnot. I've only participated in 'online' comps.
SO, I've never seen a scoresheet, or have any idea what judges 'specifically' look at.

So, my question(s) are directed at participants and judges of 'live' comps.

In a competition, where not only the nails are judged, BUT also the 'photo' quality for consideration of a magazine cover, what specifically is looked at and what do you 'let slide' because of the nature of the competition?

My questions arise because I had a difficult decision to make yeterday. I had to choose between photos that either
A) showed the theme very well BUT some ' particularly small' details couldn't be seen clearly
B) showed the small details very, very well, but lost some of the 'theme' because zoomed in quiet a bit.
So making my choice as to which to submit was absolute torture, because I didn't have a precise breakdown of what Judges look for.

Using 3D flowers just as an example: If zoomed in, you would see the indentations in the petals, BUT if zoomed out and you wouldn't see those tiny details.
Understand what I'm asking? As in: Are they even looking to see those indentations?

Is there a 'general list' that judges use for that sort of comp and tick off the boxes? If there is, what is the list?

Because for myself, if it were me, I know that I'd be looking for those very, very, very tiny details (right down to the individual specs of glitter) and would want to see them HOWEVER when you're able to see them, you lose out on the 'story' of the picture.
What a conundrum :irked:

AND LASTLY, for 'live' competitions, what is the list of criteria for that?

I'm probably not the best to advise you here Victoria (I didn't do very well in the photo comps). The last one I did, although my models looked great and I did fab nails on them, they were abismal at posing. I new the pics weren't up to scratch but I was so disappointed that I convinced myself I did a good shop lol! I was tore to ribbons by the judges pmsl! Crocodile skin I have now re photo comps.:lol:

You need to ensure that at first glance of the pic, the theme is obvious. The nails need to be the main focus of the pic too and of good quality so a lot of techs get pros to takethe pics. Also, if the back of the nails show, they should be in the theme too.

Check out Scratch Shoot Out for 2010 where they show all the entries and 1-10 placings: Shoot Out 2010

Also have a look at Scottish Beauty photo comp rules. Download a competitors pack and it gives all the criteria and hints and tips for the photo comp (last one on the download).

Perhaps touch base with some of the photo comp winners for advice.

Good luck!:):hug:

Oh awesome!
Thanks! That's what I'm looking for is a list of criteria!

I understand your frustration re: models lol
I had the same problem with photogs too.
This time I got a photog that 'gets it', and understands what I needed (as she's a former tech).
But you know how it is, you take a tonne of pictures and get them up on the computer screen and you're thinking "NUTS!! that's not in focus"
Arrgghh LOL

Off to have a look at the link
xoxo:hug:

Glad I could help! Let me know if you find what you are looking for xx

Thanks again! I actually found a lot of answers... but unfortunately a few questions are still left.

I suppose that the only persons that could answer those are actual "judges" of such Photo-comps.

BUT you still helped.:hug:

Latest posts

Back