Nail art pricing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I am currently working as a mobile nail tech, but would like to get back in a salon. My issue with working in salons prior was typically (in my area) nail art is at a minimum in salons. I personally like to stay on trend and keep my kit stocked with high quality products as far as glitters, studs, crystals, chrome, stamps, stamping polishes, foils, decals, etc.
I would love to be able to use the nail art products I love and believe in, but find no salon willing to reimburse me in a higher commission for nail art or at least stock any nail art products of a decent quality.
I also wouldn't want to overcharge clients just to feel like I'm making enough off the set with my usual commission percentage just for the salon to make off with money from something they put no money into.
If you stock your own nail art products at your salon (as a non owner), how do you work it out with the salon owners in payment??
Just wanting to set myself up from the start with boundaries with the nail art the next place I end up, so I don't end up using my own things out of the need to create fun nails and not do nude gel manis all day, but then end up barely breaking even in the end for the additional products used.

I would definitely charge more for nail art. Besides your supplies, which from what I understand you're gonna be using your own stock, you are also giving up your time. Time is money as people say and you should definitely charge for it.
However, let your clients decide if they want it or not. And make clear that any nail art other than what the salon covers (say the standard 1 finger/hand) would be charged extra.

And discuss it with the salon owner too. Explain that you want to be the best at what you do, you are interested in this, you will use your own suplies, but you will also charge more, and that extra will go into your own pocket, and say give back to the salon a 10-15% of the extra you got, just for the time you spent (and didn't offer to their other clients). I've never worked in a salon but I wouldn't just offer such a service for free.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back