Nail desk set up and clients position

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuxeBeauty

Reaction score
Hi I'm quite new to this site and this is my first post and I'm looking for some advice from some more experienced nail techs.
I'm a nail tech and have been doing nails (gel polish, gel extensions) for about a year now, however I'm finding I'm always asking the client to move closer/bring their hand closer and it's quite frustrating as I feel it slows me down and I feel like I'm constantly asking them over and over to move closer.

I'm thinking maybe my nail desk set up isn't ergonomic enough. Or is it my lamp positioning where because the client has to cross their arms when switching which hand in the lamp it's uncomfortable for them?
I use the CND uv lamp and was considering getting another one so that the client doesn't have to cross arms. But obviously this is more money. Does anyone else use two or does everyone seem to cope with one?

Does anyone else have this problem of asking the clients to bring hand closer?

If anyone has any pictures or advice they would like to share of their set up I would love some inspiration to make the experience more comfortable for the client!

Many thanks in advance!
Becky x

With my CND UV lamp I worked on top of it so it was in the middle of my desk between me and the client, so no hand crossing and chance of smudging etc. As it's quite large is was a good surface to work from, not so much the new LED lamp but we're figuring it out :p

It sounds as though your clients are a little too far away from you so your desk may be a little too wide. Mine is for sure, especially when clients slump leisurely in the chair. I ask them to sit up and scoot closer or their nails will be awful as I can't see properly....they soon move closer and stay there ;)

I find making their chair slightly higher works well too, you must find a comfortable stable position for you first and foremost, you are in the same position for quite a while and it will take a toll on your body if you get it wrong.

With my CND UV lamp I worked on top of it so it was in the middle of my desk between me and the client, so no hand crossing and chance of smudging etc. As it's quite large is was a good surface to work from, not so much the new LED lamp but we're figuring it out :p

It sounds as though your clients are a little too far away from you so your desk may be a little too wide. Mine is for sure, especially when clients slump leisurely in the chair. I ask them to sit up and scoot closer or their nails will be awful as I can't see properly....they soon move closer and stay there ;)

I find making their chair slightly higher works well too, you must find a comfortable stable position for you first and foremost, you are in the same position for quite a while and it will take a toll on your body if you get it wrong.

Hi Trinity Thankyou very much for such a detailed reply. I hadn't even thought about working over the lamp but will definitely give this a try! Yes smudging and fluff from jumpers are a nightmare!

I will also look at maybe getting a less comfortable chair to encourage no slouching haha :)
I've also been thinking about upgrading my nail desk so will keep width in mind.

I do sometimes work quite uncomfortably in order to try and better accommodate my client but as you said it's so important that we are comfy too!

Thanks again :)
Becky x

heya! i have the same problem, but ive found its deffo better to ask your clients to maybe pull their chair in a bit and their hand a bit closer to you! some days i dont bother and end up with such a sore back from sitting slouched in my chair from 8.30-5pm!! i also use two lamps, one on either side of my desk, just find it so much easier because i can cure on hand while i work on the other hand ya know? again your right it cost more but the salon i work in had 2 lamps when i started so didnt cost me anything, im sure id get by on just the one lamp though if i had to! hope this helps a bit (also my first post) lol :)

Latest posts

Back