Nail separation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnadee

Reaction score
Hello,
Is this nail separation? My aunt has very dry nails, cuticles and hands. What would you recommend? I've recently completed my manicure course but first customer to practice on has this. X

Attachments

• IMG_20170412_093938.jpg
    IMG_20170412_093938.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 135
This has happened to me while I was training after damage from someone overfiling my nail and also at the start of this year just from me pretty much neglecting my nails. Both times I babied the affected nails by making sure to apply cuticle oil at least twice a day, especially underneath the free edge of the nail and after a few weeks of doing this, my nails were back to normal. Hth x

Easy to fix , if she co operates.
Basically form of onixylosis where basically the free edge has been damaged so the seal of that has lifted and water air has come into contact which makes the nail lift off her nail bed.
Lots of reasons for this happening

First question is : how long has she had this condition? If it has been longer then 5 months I doubt my trick would work.

Find out first before I reply further

Its only recently appeared..
This has happened to me while I was training after damage from someone overfiling my nail and also at the start of this year just from me pretty much neglecting my nails. Both times I babied the affected nails by making sure to apply cuticle oil at least twice a day, especially underneath the free edge of the nail and after a few weeks of doing this, my nails were back to normal. Hth x

Thank u, ill apply some of this to her tomorrow when I see her..x

It's mild so no need to knee jerk just yet. It should hopefully grow out.

I have applied some cuticle oil a few days ago and now one of her nails with separation has peeled ie and left a clear patch under it? What does this mean? X

I have applied some cuticle oil a few days ago and now one of her nails with separation has peeled ie and left a clear patch under it? What does this mean? X
What do you mean by a clear patch?

Sorry its hard to describe without a picture.. where the nail is lifted theres a patch where its discoloured. Well that bit has peeled away bit like when ur nail splits. Ill try and get a pic :) x

Get some healthy nails to practice on. You were unlucky but it's good experience and great you noticed the separation and queried it.

Heres a, pic

Attachments

• 20170415_200552.jpg
    20170415_200552.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 58
Get some healthy nails to practice on. You were unlucky but it's good experience and great you noticed the separation and queried it.
Thank you :) yes shows I have learnt from my course.. x

There is peeling however there is a costing on the nail. It's glossy

Shes put some nail strengthener on.

I can't see anything discoloured.

These are not the same nail but the one on.the left looked like the nail on the right before it peeled. X

Attachments

• IMG_2017-04-15_22-19-26.JPG
    IMG_2017-04-15_22-19-26.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back