Nail Technology course - what does it involve?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Reaction score
Hi all

I did a foundation gel course with NSI but I want to do further training and build my confidence up. I've checked out my local college website, and they offer Nail Services NVQ 3 (not nvq 2 though), and Nail Technology level 2 Certificate with VTCT. The description of the Nail Technology course isn't very specific, all it says is that you learn 'practical skills as well as develop knowledge and understanding of anatomy, physiology, health and safety'. So does anyone know if this course covers nail enchancements at all? I'm going to give them a call later today anyway but I'm impatient and wondered if there were any geeks actually doing the course at the moment who could give me a little insider info.

Thanks all x

, Im currently on a NVQ2 nail technician course, it covers manicure,pedicure,nail art, nail enhancements(all 3 systems !!! which got me confused,as I thought that all systems were only in the nvq3) which I confirmed with my tutor last night,as this is something I really want to do, yay I dont have to go on a different course for it now, as well as that ,the systems we are using will be provided by creative nails, yay again :) also there is an optional unit of your choice,so Ive chosen makeup,
OH the course is part time on a monday evening,over 2 years, it also covers the anatomy and physiology, health and safety,reception duties,promote additional products or services,develop and maintain effectivness at work, I hth :)

Hi
If you check out the Habia website there is a list of the units you have to do for level two and three and what you have to cover in each unit.
Hope that helps

I'm confused now, I just rang the college and the course is for acrylic nails only, (and manicures) yet yours was for all 3 systems??

x

try ringing on 01905725648, this number is for fountains salon (within the health and beauty dept at worcester tech) Im led to believe its for all 3 systems, she even told me not to worry as we are doing all 3. hope you have luck and I hope Im right

Last edited:
mmm???? your in bournemouth! so maybe different colleges offer different stuff depending on student numbers?? maybe?? theres only 10 left on our course at moment, and we will be using products creative

From what I understand you only have to produce evidence of one system for level 2. You may well get trained in 3 systems but only have to show you can do one. For level 3 you have to give evidence for l&p, gels and fibre/silk.

we shall be trained by someone from creative anyway, we should still get recognision from creative for all 3 systems I should imagine, something I shall enquire into though thx :)

Thanks for your thoughts peeps. I'm not trained in acrylic anyway and really want to learn it, so I think it's worth me doing. And even if it doesn't touch on the other systems, I think it's going to be a real confidence booster for me. I trained in gels, doing the NSI foundation course, and I still feel there's so much for me to learn, to the point that I don't want to do nails very much at the moment as I'm not confident in my own ability (even though I know that confidence only comes with practice!). I did start doing the NSI foundation in acrylic and just couldn't get the hang of it, I was almost in tears over it so converted to gel and did that instead. At the moment I'm concentrating on doing manicures and Hollywood Toes, and once I've got a client base and feel ready, I will start getting back into gels again. Hopefully the acrylic course will also help me with that. :eek:

, Im currently on a NVQ2 nail technician course, it covers manicure,pedicure,nail art, nail enhancements(all 3 systems !!! which got me confused,as I thought that all systems were only in the nvq3) which I confirmed with my tutor last night,as this is something I really want to do, yay I dont have to go on a different course for it now, as well as that ,the systems we are using will be provided by creative nails, yay again :) also there is an optional unit of your choice,so Ive chosen makeup,
OH the course is part time on a monday evening,over 2 years, it also covers the anatomy and physiology, health and safety,reception duties,promote additional products or services,develop and maintain effectivness at work, I hth :)

I wish I lived in your neck of the woods, what is offered at Northampton is not worth talking about:irked:

Latest posts

Back