Nail troubles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angthespang

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some nail advice. I have been doing acrylic nails for about a year now and developed nail fungus on three of my nails. I removed the acrylic nails and have been applying tea tree oil on them and soaking them in vinegar (which is what I read to do online). The nail fungus has not spread and is not painful, but there is a brownish discoloration still.

My nail tech said she has some solution to put on them that will kill the nail fungus and she wants to put a shellac polish on while my nails grow out.

I am actually afraid to put anything on my nails because of the fungus stains, but they really look bad. Should I allow my nail tech to apply the anti-fungal solution and put shellac on them or just leave them bare until the fungus stained nails grow out?

Should I go see a doctor about the fungus? Or should I keep trying to cure it naturally?

Thank you for your advice!

After looking around this helpful site, I think I may actually have brownish stains on my nails from a nail bacteria and not a fungus after all.

Is it okay to put shellac over a nail bacteria once it has been sanitized by my nail tech?

Thank you,

Angthespang

Has your nail technician assessed your nails and advised what you should do? Nail techs can not diagnose what a particular medical issue might be, it seems there is confusion as to what the problem actually is so I would suggest seeking the advice of a medical professional as to whether its a bacterial or fungal or any other possible infection and get the appropriate treatment.
I certainly wouldn't be putting my products onto a bacterial infection.

Get it checked properly

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your advice! I saw a Dermatologist and he confirmed that it was not a fungal infection and was most likely stained from trapped bacteria under my acrylic nails. He saw no sign of infection, just the stain. He did not have an answer for me when I asked if I could put nail polish or shellac over it. He said to ask a Nail professional.

Do you think it is safe to apply polish or shellac now?

Thank you very much!

I would trust a nail technician who understands what they are seeing and name it correctly - ie bacterial residue

If the tech is unsure or calls it fungus and does not know the exact ingredients of their sanitiser or what environment allowed the infection in the first place I would not let the tech proceed...

A true professional would avoid this ever happening and would at the very least have knowledge of how to deal with it and avoid future issues...

A basic dehydrator (as a lot of techs use) will not kill off the bacteria or stop it continuing to grow... it needs to be a true pathogen fighting product such as CND scrub fresh..

hope that helps

Thank you very much! I will let you know what happens.

Latest posts

Back