Nails at work.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyyork

Reaction score
I dont know if i'm posting this in the right section so please move me on if i'm not! I'm looking for some advice from all you geeks. I currently work in a salon for 20 hours a week, getting paid minimum wage. My boss has approached me with the idea of me doing nail enhancements at the salon also, now she doesnt want to outlay the money to get all the products in, as she know i do clients out of work anyway she knows i have all my equipment so she has asked me if we can come up with a plan where i can use my products and take a percentage of what the clients pay her. Ive been thinking about this all weekend and i really dont know what to do, i dont think this is going to benefit me in any way, is it right to be asked to use my own products when i am employed?? any advice would be great thanks guys. xxx

if you are going to use your own products then you shoud have a high percentage of the costof the nails going to you,you need to cover cost of products used and i assume you would want a couple of pounds on top of that. it does'nt seem entirely fair as if you are employed the boss/owner would usually provide these
hth

I would think about how much does it cost you on average in products per set,your minimum wage ( would you still be payed by her for the time spent doing the nails?) and exactly how much is left over from that.
I don't think there would be much left over.
Would she expect you to bring your existing clients into the salon? if so you would be missing out on that income your allready recieving.

One suggestion, if you want to do this, rather than give her a percentage AND supply the products, would be to ask her about renting a table out of your agreed 20 hrs in the salon that way you keep all you make after rent and benefit from more possible clients.
HTH and good luck
:hug:

One suggestion, if you want to do this, rather than give her a percentage AND supply the products, would be to ask her about renting a table out of your agreed 20 hrs in the salon that way you keep all you make after rent and benefit from more possible clients.
HTH and good luck
:hug:

this is a fab idea del3, xxx

thanks guys i'll have to have a word with her, i'm not sure if it would work me being there out of my hours, the whole salon is closed on a monday and everyone works odd hours and we have a hypnotherapist and she prefers to work alone in the salon for total silence. lol. i'm not sure if i would still get my hourly wage, i think i would but this is something i need to check, say if i charged £30.00 for a set of nail enhancements and it takes me 2hours, if i was getting my wage that would be about 10.00 in wages, probably cost me about 6.00 in products, so do you think i would be out of order asking for her to split the money with me? i just dont think its gona be worth it, i'm going to end up about 2pounds better off. I earn far more money doing my nails myself out of work hours. xxx

Latest posts

Back