Nano rings vs micro rings?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glammymammy

Reaction score
I have been trialing the nano ring system and even though I love the tiny beads etc. I don't know if they are worth all the extra work that comes along with them.

The nano's are tiny yes but the stick tip is still more visible than i-tips used with micro-rings.

But the main problem for me is during maintenance the ring cannot be opened and pushed up the hair I need to fully replace it so this is a lot of work, where as the micro-rings can be reused during maintenance.

I am thinking of dropping the nano rings from my services and sticking with micro-rings only.

I actually use mini-links the long copper tubes which seem huge in comparison to nano rings!
Can anyone recommend the best micro-ring for durability and one that is not too big.

Thanks in advance x

I have heard that some places sell silicone lined nano rings that are a smidgen bigger..dunno if you can also use these to reposition or not though.Normal micro rings i think seem to be pretty decent for most hair or do you not like using them? Hope this helps x

Hi,

Thanks for your help :)
I have also used the silicone lined rings and still need to replace them during the maintenance.

I do like the micro-rings but I was hoping to have something new to bring to my area as the nanos are so tiny but now I am thinking they are not really worth all the extra hassle.

Can you recommend a good small micro-ring?
I usually use silicone lined copper tubes which are pretty long but they lay very flat and hold very well kind of like the easilocks method.

I think I may need something in between the nano and the copper tubes.
Also i am not sure if I should go for the silicone lined or not?....too many options out there ;)

Hi,
I agree, i have done both, and nano is a lot of work at the maintenance compared to micro as you have to replace ring etc, so it takes you just as long as the fitting, if not longer sometimes! This is why I always charge more.
The Micro rings I used the 5mm silicone lined, you can get them from eBay etc x

Hi,
I agree, i have done both, and nano is a lot of work at the maintenance compared to micro as you have to replace ring etc, so it takes you just as long as the fitting, if not longer sometimes! This is why I always charge more.
The Micro rings I used the 5mm silicone lined, you can get them from eBay etc x

Great thanks for your advice also :)
Yes the nano rings seem like a great idea but are alot more work than I thought....I am going to use 0.8gram strands so do you know if I can use a smaller micro ring than 5mm? Thanks

I've not really used smaller ones as I've always been fine with the 5mm (I use either 0.8 or 1gram hair) but I suppose you could probably get away with a smaller ring, not too sure sorry!

There probably is not really much in the difference I am going to order some different sizes and see how it goes :)
Thanks for the help everyone x

Do you all open your micro move up n close again? I was told never to do this, i chabge the bead and seems to take forever xx

Do you all open your micro move up n close again? I was told never to do this, i chabge the bead and seems to take forever xx

Hi,

Yes I always open the bead push it up and clamp again the very odd one I will change if it has come down further or maybe some colour has came away from being clamped.

I have removed all the nanos at 6 weeks maintenance as I had no choice and it was slower than applying a full set due to removal :(

It has certainly put me off doing the nano rings again.

I know we all were trained differently but can I ask why your trainer told you to replace the ring?
I will only push the rings up the hair once then it is removal and a new set of rings maybe reusing the old hair x

I've had nano and and micro in. Nanos are amazing for how undetectable they are BUT cause problems I find. As a wearer and Extensionist I prefer micros for rings.
I found with nanos, clients lost them more than micros as rings so small so less grippage and a lot if the time the extensions comes out but leaves the metal nano tip and ring in the hair. Many customers have stabbed themselves in the head :(
I'm moving away from nanos and not advertising them as much but still offer them. I find though customers still wanting micros more anyway.
I use 1g mini tips which are 2.8mm in diameter and use 3mm silicone micro rings. Great inbetween size. I have them in my hair now :)

:)
Xx

Hi,

Yes I always open the bead push it up and clamp again the very odd one I will change if it has come down further or maybe some colour has came away from being clamped.

I have removed all the nanos at 6 weeks maintenance as I had no choice and it was slower than applying a full set due to removal :(

It has certainly put me off doing the nano rings again.

I know we all were trained differently but can I ask why your trainer told you to replace the ring?
I will only push the rings up the hair once then it is removal and a new set of rings maybe reusing the old hair x

I was told due to natural shredding getting caught can cause mattting and the rings seal is broke once clamped and if you reopen and close again its not as effective, xx

I always open ring brush out the shredding, add hair if i need to and apply a new ring xx

I've had nano and and micro in. Nanos are amazing for how undetectable they are BUT cause problems I find. As a wearer and Extensionist I prefer micros for rings.
I found with nanos, clients lost them more than micros as rings so small so less grippage and a lot if the time the extensions comes out but leaves the metal nano tip and ring in the hair. Many customers have stabbed themselves in the head :(
I'm moving away from nanos and not advertising them as much but still offer them. I find though customers still wanting micros more anyway.
I use 1g mini tips which are 2.8mm in diameter and use 3mm silicone micro rings. Great inbetween size. I have them in my hair now :)

Xx

Hey,

Yes this is exactly what I was thinking.....the nano rings seem better in theory but in practice are just too much work and probably not worth the effort....I am raging also as I have purchased a good bit of nano tip hair :(
Those 3mm rings sound perfect but do they only fit the mini tips in them?
Also would you mind sharing where you buy them from please?
Thank you :)

I was told due to natural shredding getting caught can cause mattting and the rings seal is broke once clamped and if you reopen and close again its not as effective, xx

Oh yes I see what you mean I find that the shedding of the natural hair trapped in the ring is only ever bad enough to replace the whole piece after 10-12 weeks of wear. I know everybody sheds their hair at a different rate.

At what point do you replace all the rings is it 6-8 weeks or more?

I do remember one lady asking me to do her maintenance appointment but when I got there I had to change all the beads and do like you said brush the hair as her hair had shed alot.....it took me 3 hours to do it and i had only quoted her the cost of 1 hour of a usual maintenance appointment :(

Do you charge by the hour for your appointments then if you replace all the rings x

Oh yes I see what you mean I find that the shedding of the natural hair trapped in the ring is only ever bad enough to replace the whole piece after 10-12 weeks of wear. I know everybody sheds their hair at a different rate.

At what point do you replace all the rings is it 6-8 weeks or more?

I do remember one lady asking me to do her maintenance appointment but when I got there I had to change all the beads and do like you said brush the hair as her hair had shed alot.....it took me 3 hours to do it and i had only quoted her the cost of 1 hour of a usual maintenance appointment :(

Do you charge by the hour for your appointments then if you replace all the rings x

Its normally between 4-8 weeks, i charge £20 an hour, some clients want all of the rings push back up and some dont, but yes it does take a long but i tell them the price when they book, i would only normally do the hair line and any that have slipped tangled or matted and always replace with a new ring, we all get taught different so annoying ive learnt as i have progressed xx

I have always used the copper tubes or microrings on my clients and I have been wondering about the nano rings for a while now. Ive just been put off by the fact the bonds are sooo small, how can they possibly grip as well?

After reading this post I think I will stick with my copper tubes. They stay in great and never have any problems with them!

Its normally between 4-8 weeks, i charge £20 an hour, some clients want all of the rings push back up and some dont, but yes it does take a long but i tell them the price when they book, i would only normally do the hair line and any that have slipped tangled or matted and always replace with a new ring, we all get taught different so annoying ive learnt as i have progressed xx

Well at least you have yourself covered with charging by the hour I think I might change to that also as I have got stuck sometimes with girls that seem to reveal a birds nest under the extensions :eek:

Yes it is mad the way we all train differently but reading on here alot I find your way seems to be a more popular method during training x

I have always used the copper tubes or microrings on my clients and I have been wondering about the nano rings for a while now. Ive just been put off by the fact the bonds are sooo small, how can they possibly grip as well?

After reading this post I think I will stick with my copper tubes. They stay in great and never have any problems with them!

Hi, yes you should probably stick with what you like;) to be honest the grip I find is good and thankfully none of the wire's have broke off on any of my clients that trialed them for me but the one thing that is putting me off is the amount of work involved every few weeks replacing beads and also the roatation plan of the nano's.....the micro-rings/copper tubes seem much less work in the long run so for me the small size of the nano is just not worth the trade off for all the extra work on me and extra money on my clients x

Xx
hi there, I'm also moving away from nanos, I am always so pleased about how they look in the hair but having more and more trouble with them as time goes on, please would you share where you get your 1g mini tips? As so far I've only found 0.8g, would really help me out :))

Latest posts

Back