Natural Nail Breakage: From L&P & Gelish to Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyfeet

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

(Sorry it's long.....)

I am a natural nail geek offering Shellac and I had a lady contact me yesterday and book a Shellac manicure with me. She told me on the phone yesterday that she currently has Gelish on but really wanted Shellac. I booked her for next week, but received a email from her today to say that she had a natural nail break which had been repaired with an acrylic overlay and could I please (in her words) bring something with me to repair it as the damage is very near the quick and hasn't yet grown out.

I have searched several threads and researched this before, and I have come to the conclusion that I could offer her a natural nail repair with fibreglass and then a Shellac manicure.

Obviously a couple of things came in to my head.

1. She would have had the overlay done about 2 weeks ago (going on the conversation I had with her yesterday) and I obviously cannot infill the overlay as I don't offer l&p. I would therefore need to remove the acrylic overlay.

2. When I remove the gelish I am assuming that this will affect the overlay as I am using D-Solve in wraps. Obviously this isn't a problem as I am removing the overlay anyway. To remove gelish I know that I need to gently buff off the shine, and I have been reading other threads about l&p removal. Would I therefore remove the gelish and bulk of the overlay (bearing in mind there is no enhancement just the natural nail overlay) and then soak the one finger in d-solve in a bowl as I am assuming the gel wraps would not suffice for acrylic removal. Or do I remove in 2 stages.... one being the gelish removal in wraps and two being the overlay on this one nail.

Now after reading this back I feel as if I have put together a lot of information I have gleamed from the site perhaps incorrectly, and I'm not sure if I should indeed attempt the above or just ask her to return to her previous tech to have the gelish and overlay removed and then tell her I can repair with fibreglass and continue with the Shellac application. I'm concerned as I'm not qualified in l&p and not sure if I am offering her the best solution to her breakage. I'm obviously concerned regarding the insurance implications too.

Therefore could someone kindly tell me if I should remove it for her and confirm my steps above or if I should leave well alone and ask the client to return to her previous therapist for removal as I only offer natural nails. Obviously I have no problem repair natural nail breaks, I've just stumbled because of the acrylic overlay.

Would really appreciate some advice please geeks.

Many thanks in advance.

Love n hugs

PS. If I should go ahead does anyone have any suggestion to how much I should charge for the repair bearing in mind the extra time and product.

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct. Buff the Gelish from the acrylic then file down the majority of the bulk, then soak. Then begin your fiberglass or silk repair.

You've got this, girl!

thank you my lovely x x x

Latest posts

Back