Need colour help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jemjem84

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just found this amazing site. I am currently having a slight dilema!

My client has a rich purple colour hair which she uses colour phsyco after it being bleached, so her true colour under the purple is a lovely shade of teal.......I would say the shade sits at around 7/8.

She wants to keep the purple in her hair however, the maintenance is too much for her and she wants a permanant colour which she can top up as little as possible.I use majirel colours. Would a majirouge 4.26 with a little bleu work or would it be better to use a 5.62 and add in bleu. Because of the amount of blue pigment already i dont know which colour will be best or what shades best to mix. If i use a red base I think the colour will be more pinky purple than a deep rich purple but I dont know if adding more blue into the hair is needed or if i should use a .2 to just add a tint of violet to balance a rouge???? please help I cant get my head around it at all. The colour she has is similar to cadbrys purple. I have told her that the colour would be near impossible to match with non temp colour.

Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
Whats the natural base?

Her natural hair is a 4 and the bleach is around 7 possibly 8 hard to tell with the green.

Sorry forgot to add because of the root regrowth although adding a darker colour to the hair would it be best to do a bleach bath to try and even and eliminate some of the teal before application of a colour?

Ok if the client is used to having a vibrant purple colour, then you need to be really clear about what you can achieve without prelightening. You will not get anything nearly as vibrant or saturated using majiel so I would be really clear with her that this is what she wants, especially since she will still have a regrowth and fading with the colour so it is not a low maintenance colour. If she likes the vibrancy of the colour I would think about suggesting some type of ombre/colour melt type colour to blend her dark base into the pre-lightened hair, so she can keep toping up the vibrant purple.

If you do choose to tint the hair you will have to formulate differently for the roots and ends. A natural level 4 will lift to an orange undercoat with 20vol, so you will have to add blue into the 4.20/4.26 to achieve that result. The prelightened ends would be best coloured with diarichesse or dialight. It would be best to remove the teal if you can, you can try removing it with 10+20vol rather than bleach. If it doesn't come out then you could try adding some red into the precolour (it will need precolouring either way), do some test stands before you start.

Definitely a good candidate for a darker root melting into brighter ends !

Thank you everyone for ur responses :)

Ok for anyone who is interested, heres what happened. Decided to use wella special mix 0/88 and 0/65 and half an inch of rouge with a base of there perfect 5,0. The roots went a lovely plum colour but it failed to grab the teal just took it slightly darker. So then went on to use the rouge on its own with 20 vol...and it has come out a lovely purple that is quite vibrant. So when the roots need doing now if she keeps the purple the special mix should cover it nicely but with a little more rouge adding.. At least if she wamts to go brown after the hair is definitely been pre pigmented red.

Latest posts

Back