Need salon owners/managers advice please about newly qualified therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparklySnow

Reaction score
I just wondered, if you manage or own a salon, how you feel about newly qualified therapists giving you their CVs?

I am in my late twenties and am just about to finish my level 2 Beauty. I will start level 3 in September.

I would absolutly LOVE to start working in a salon part time, while I go to college one day a week for the level 3. My husband has suggested taking my CV to a salon I would LOVE to work in, But I'm really worried the salon owner might think I was being really cheeky if I asked to give them my CV? I feel cheeky as though I'm taking up their valuable time when they are not advertising for anyone. I think surely if they wanted another therapist they would advertise, especially as I am really aware that a newly qualified level 2 therapist isn't in that much demand.

What do you think? Do you get this a lot, with new student therapists asking, and do you like it or do you hate it? Would you think I was being cheeky, or would you think it was showing initiative?

Thank you to anyone who takes time to answer. I appreciate it x

I say go for it. What have you got to lose? Handing you CV in shows that you are proactive and confident and if they don't have anything at the moment they may keep it on file for next time.

Include a good cover letter to grab their attention.

X

As a salon owner, I'd probably bite your hand off - you're not talking about my salon are you?????

We are a busy salon, and if someone like you approached me, I would hope we could help each other. Sometimes, we need an extra pair of hands but don't want 20 hours a week, or 3 days. You have a couple of options. You could either pop in, or email. Either is good. Another alternative is to drop your CV in and then follow it up with an email. I always ALWAYS reply to job applicants because I think it's really rude not to, but also because you're putting it out there, and I admire people for that.

They may not know that they need you, but the offer of one day a week may be just the ticket.

Good luck

Vic x

Thank you both ever so much for your replies! I really appreciate your helpful answers! I've set aside an hour tomorrow to work on writing a cover letter and working on my cv, and then I think after your replies, I might go for it! And I've got nothing to lose. Thank you xxx

Thank you both ever so much for your replies! I really appreciate your helpful answers! I've set aside an hour tomorrow to work on writing a cover letter and working on my cv, and then I think after your replies, I might go for it! And I've got nothing to lose. Thank you xxx

Good Luck :) xx

Agreed with squidgernetball, if it's my salon please drop it in! When we advertise we look for level 3 qual with salon experience.. Then they come with their own ideas and no loyalty I am so sick of treating therapists well and it being thrown back in our faces.. Now I want newbies/apprentices that we can progress and give GOOD salon experience. If you want something.. You need to go get it, show them why they need you ☺️
Good luck xx

The only thing I would add, is to check your spelling and punctuation, then re-check it. I'm afraid it is my biggest bugbear. You really need to get it right.

Good luck

Vic x

Thank you very much guys, you have given me the boost I needed to try. Hope they don't mind! And yes I will make sure my CV is checked thoroughly to make sure it's spell checked before I leave it. Thank you that's a good point you made about actually wanting newbies / apprentices, I would never have thought of that. So thank you x

YES
Thank you very much guys, you have given me the boost I needed to try. Hope they don't mind! And yes I will make sure my CV is checked thoroughly to make sure it's spell checked before I leave it. Thank you that's a good point you made about actually wanting newbies / apprentices, I would never have thought of that. So thank you x
. Hand in your CV. Salon owner will get to see you in person. You could perhaps ask to do some unpaid work experience. We do this sometimes with students. It gets you to see salon life. We never allow students loose on paying clients and sometimes clients allow students to observe treatments. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back