Need some inspiration...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katinde

Reaction score
Hi everyone! First I want to let you guys know that this is such a great place to get great info and ideas.
I am a nail tech in the US (Delaware) and I'm dying to get out and learn different things. My dream is to learn hair and get my cosmetology license, learn permanent make up and body piercing and tattooing, and open kind of like an alternative salon. I'm getting tired of the same old things around where I live, and I think that it would be a great change. My problem is I just don't know where to start. Everything I want to do costs so much to learn and while I know that I could make a decent living eventually, I'm struggling now with only being able to do nails. Anyone have some ideas on boosting business, or contests with HUGE prize money, or funding ideas or maybe a fairy godmother??? I'm joking, but some opinions would help me out a lot. I'm just wondering if this sounds promising to anyone else, or if I'm just crazy. Can you guys let me know what you think??? Thanks so much for everything!!!

Welcome to the site hun! I no fairy godmother....but it doesn't hurt to have big dreams :) I like your ideas and I think they have potential. Do you want to do all of this yourself? Do you know any tattoo artists right now who could mentor you? I have no idea how one learns that skill....but maybe you could network with some of these people. Maybe you could build partnerships with them. Are you planning on going to school to get your cosmo license soon?

I guess it really boils down to what you want to do first. Unfortunately we can't learn everything at once! But at least you sound like you have passion and drive and that's the main thing.

I'm sure I haven't helped much, all I can say is don't give up on your dreams but try and decide how you are going to proceed.

Oh, and buy some lottery tickets :)

Laura x

Thanks! I get a lottery ticket every once in a while, but it hasn't worked yet :lol:!!! I don't want to necessarily do everything on my own, but I really feel that if I have a shop where all those things are done, I should at least know how to do them myself. I want to go to cosmo school so bad, but around here the cheapest place is about $10,000 and I just don't have it, so I'm looking for an apprenticeship (hint hint if anyone knows someone!!!) but that seems to be hard to come by. I think I might have to go take the class on permanent make up, and the lady who teaches that also has a tattooing and piercing class. I think that's going to be my best bet since it will end up being a lot cheaper, and then I'll be able to fund my hair ventures. Sorry for rambling, but thanks for the encouragement!!!

That sounds like a good plan to me and probably a less expensive way to get started. Plus she probably knows a lot of people in the industry and that could benefit you as well.

Laura

Latest posts

Back