need some motivation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer

Reaction score
Hi all,

desperate for some motivation as things are going downhill fast! A month ago I rented a room above a salon, which I shared with another tech. She has since had a falling out with some of the girls from the salon and has left, which means that unless I find someone else quickly I am responsible for the entire rent on the 1st of January. So far I have gotten myself into an enormous amount of debt just getting set up. I cannot afford to pay another £400 without getting deeper into debt. I am hardly getting any customers despite advertising, handing out business cards, leaflets, discounts, etc. I haven't even made £100 yet. I even have to change my kids nursery attendance from full time to half day come the new year in order to save some money.

Would like to know if anyone has any advise. Should I chuck it all in and get a job to pay off the debts or hang in there and see if things will pick up soon?

have you advertised for a new tech? if not why not put one in the geeks needed section on here, and put them up in the local wholesalers etc. it would be such a shame for you to chuck it in.

try to get in contact with local schools, and find out if they do pamper evenings, ask if you can book a table and go along and do mini manicures, and have loads of picture of examples of your work. and every person you do a mini mani on give them a little bag with a discount voucher, and some leaflets on things you do, such a lady pamper evenings (at there home where the hostess gets a discount) and kiddies nail art parties. ask at the nursery your child goes to see if they would run a pamper evening for the kids parents. ask all the girls in the salon if they want their nails done, and they can have a discount as they can show off their lovley nails to their clients and hopefully get you more.

I read in a thread recently that someone was saying she hires a desk in a hair salon, and when shes not busy she offers a complementary shape and shine and hand massage to the hair clients. as soon as people hear free they will have it. hopefully they will get to like it and then book in with you for the full works. i beleive she also mentioned that when one of the hairdressers clients has a little girl, she offers to do a little nail art on her for free so the mum doesnt have to worry about what the little girl is gettin g up to. hopefully the mum will remember this and when she rebooks for her hair she will book her little girl in with you, and you never know she may even decide to have it done herself.

my best friend is a ann summers rep, with the catalogs she hand out one of my business cards, she also sometimes gives awat a gift voucher in her raffle, and she always has her nails all sparkley to draw attention to my work. so if you know anyone that does this it could help too!

i think basically you need to do some major brain storming and think of lots of ways to get yourself out there and recognised, it would be such a shame to give up!

Thanks, you have given me some hope. Unfortunately I can't do nails on the girls from the salon. They are the reason the other tech left.She did nails on them at a discounted price because they had parties to go to. After the party they ripped off the nails and told her they fell off and if she didn't give them their money back they threatened to take things further and report her to trading standards etc. Even though it has nothing to do with me they have shut me out as well, and I barely get a greeting even though I am cheerful with them.

I have donated services for a raffle for a charity and the winners haven't even called to book. I offered 50% discount to salon clients and only one lady came for a basic manicure.I have advertised, offered discounts, my partner did a leaflet drop of 1000, I did some more, handed out business cards, did a leaflet drop to businesses with discount offers, have posters at all the schools and colleges, did free hand massages with chocolate products, all with no result.

maybe you should consider going else where. i know it sounds like giving up, but if they are ignoring you then they are probley telling people not to go to you aswell. im not meaning to squash your hopes or anything, but you shouldnt have to work somewhere you feel unwanted.:hug: you dont deserve that sort of treatment.

and as for trading standards, what a pile of poo, one it would be documented and the rip off damage would be very apparant and 2, did this other tech sign a decleration saying that the nails would last forever and ever no matter waht you do. you can never fully gaurantee a set, as you never know what the client is doing with their hands, you just try your best to get the best long lasting set you can for the circumstances.

but by the sound of it they may be making things worse for you and pulling you emotionally down with their attitudes! so maybe you should look for pastures new!

Hi hun, you sound like you're in a very similar situation to me with finances being the driving force behind your decisions. Have a look at my recent thread as so many people gave me some wonderful sound advice (shall I move my business back home, mucho advice needed).

However, from what you have already said to the other Sarah I would say that you are not in a good place to work. I can hardly imagine these girls in the salon promoting your services. Have you thought about going mobile, or working from home, even it is temporarily until you find other premises. You've invested a lot and it would be a shame to let it all go to waste. Don't forget as well that really you shouldn't expect to make a huge return on your investement until you are in your 3rd year of trading, depressing I know but a fact.

If it's any consolation we are quiet this week, and yet the nail bar in the main part of town is packed.:evil: :sad: :irked: So I really need to rethink my marketing in the New Year when I've recharged my batteries over Crimbo.

Have thought about going mobile or working from home, but I really really really don't feel comfortable going into other people's homes. Just doing a leaflet drop has me shaking so bad that my partner has to do them for me. As for working from home I have absolutely no space. I did it from my kitchen for a month or two but it meant having to spent hours cleaning each day to make the house presentable. I have two kids, 1 and 2 years old, and they are mini tornadoes, wreaking havoc every where they go. I found myself growing more and more resentful of all the work it took to prepare for each client, to the point that I didn't want to do it anymore. I thought renting a room would make things easier but it has brought it's own set of problems. My main concern is the fact that I am getting my family more and more into debt, and just don't know if it is worth it, but can't imagine doing anything else.

Jennifer what a shame you don't live closer cos we're in the same boat hun!! Like me, it's only a decision you can make. But like me it's a difficult one to call when you are getting more and more into debt (thank god for Mr Barclaycard to pay for the food at the mo!!). Like me you've invested a lot of money and don't want to give it up, but don't know which way to turn.

If I were you I would look for another place because you shouldn't have to work in a place where you are blanked by the other staff. Have you thought about putting an ad on Geekbay for premises, or have you thought about going as an emplyed tech for a while?

Hun, I hope you can resolve it because I so know how you feel. Festive hugs to you.

hi hun why not put an ad on babtac aswell , hth

Ah Chicken! Dont feel down. I know its hard not to but things will come together in the end.
I think the first thing to do is aproach the manager of the salon, ask them what they expect from the nailbar. If she wants to have a nailbar then she has to accept that building a business takes time - she knows , she's done it! Tell her that you cannot make the repayments alone and you cannot possibly find a suitable person overnight. ask her if you could pay her a commision, say about 30%
i cannot advise about promotion as I dont like doing it, I get all self conscience! I've been up a the crack of dawn every day this week handing out flyers to commuters and I had to get boyf to help me as I was so scared! I also was down at the schools promoting a nail party I'm having to get rid of old polish and I was terrified when all the kids bombarded me "Can I have one? me too, me three" "aaaahhhh! surrounded by little munchkins!!" LoL

I rent a nailbar in a tanning shop but since sep things have been Baaadd! I approached the Boss and told him the situation - well he knew already! - I asked him if I could work on sundays for him so some weeks that has been the only payment I have received.
Its crap but thats what happens in the first year. I seriously think you should speak to the boss. If she has thought about putting a nail bar up there properly then she is prepared for the outcome, hang in there - hopefully it will all come together for you.

Hope this helps

x- Red Admiral -x

Latest posts

Back