Neutralising red tones in base 8/9?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasmin D

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have a client who had been colouring her hair dark (base 5 or 6) for quite some time. She had visited another hairdresser prior to coming to me and had a few sets of highlights done which were fine for the first 3-4 inches at the root area but became very red and brassy where the previous colour has been.

I have darkened down her root area and done a balayage to make a more natural look, however the red brassy ends have lifted to an almost rose gold colour (base 8/9).

Im due to see her again in a couple of weeks and I'm going to lift the ends again but i don't think the rose tones are going to budge much, can anyone advise on a toner to try flatten out the warmth as much as possible? I use Wella but am happy to try other brands as I think it'll need to be a green based ash.

I am qualified, I just haven't had to neutralise red in such a light base before, sorry if its a silly Q :)

If it's exposing red tones it's unlikely it's a level 9 or 8. Do you mean orange? 7/81 will neutralise orange. I'd probably use abit of 8/69 too to cancel out any yellow. Use with pastel and watch it, I normally leave to develop for 5-10 mins X

If it's exposing red tones it's unlikely it's a level 9 or 8. Do you mean orange? 7/81 will neutralise orange. I'd probably use abit of 8/69 too to cancel out any yellow. Use with pastel and watch it, I normally leave to develop for 5-10 mins X

Hey, thanks for the reply. The colour thats present is a like a pale pink tone. To me it doesn't look like its a red undertone being exposed but almost looks stained? I'll get a photo up tomorrow, thanks again for the advice x :)

Probably from colour build up if she was previously colouring her hair herself, and I bet with box dyes too A toner should shift it X

Latest posts

Back