New beauty room not taking off, need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley_d

Reaction score
Hi.

I opened my beauty room in a gym just over 2 months ago and to say that its quiet is an understatement. I have done a flyer drop in the local area, have a roller banner in reception, facebook page, website, twitter, poster on the gyms notice bored and have an email sent out each month to over 1400 members.

The clients I have had have all said that they are happy with their treatment/service etc but I just can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

The room its self isn't that big but I have done my best with it and everyone always gets a warm welcome and I all ways ask if they would like to re book.

The only downside to my room is the noise, the gym equipment from above makes an awful noise and I am located next the 'bistro' which also creates lots of noise and I am finding myself appologising to clients about it all the time during treatments. When I first viewed the room the gym hadn't even been built so I had no idea of how much noise was going to be created. I have even removed facials from my treatment list because I just don't feel it's professional to offer them when it isn't a very relaxing environment with all the noise.

I have commented to the managers at the gym about the noise and their reply was to turn my music up louder!

As you can gather I am not happy there and want out but they I have to give 3 months notice.

Sorry for the moan but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shelley X :)

I think this is a quiet time of year for most, how does your appointment book look for December?

Have you tried a promotion?

What treatments do you offer?

Have a search for "how to promote your business" thread in this section, some great ideas especially for this time of year.

Have you googled yourself example "Spray tan *your area*" are you easily found?

Xx

Hi.

I opened my beauty room in a gym just over 2 months ago and to say that its quiet is an understatement. I have done a flyer drop in the local area, have a roller banner in reception, facebook page, website, twitter, poster on the gyms notice bored and have an email sent out each month to over 1400 members.

The clients I have had have all said that they are happy with their treatment/service etc but I just can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

The room its self isn't that big but I have done my best with it and everyone always gets a warm welcome and I all ways ask if they would like to re book.

The only downside to my room is the noise, the gym equipment from above makes an awful noise and I am located next the 'bistro' which also creates lots of noise and I am finding myself appologising to clients about it all the time during treatments. When I first viewed the room the gym hadn't even been built so I had no idea of how much noise was going to be created. I have even removed facials from my treatment list because I just don't feel it's professional to offer them when it isn't a very relaxing environment with all the noise.

I have commented to the managers at the gym about the noise and their reply was to turn my music up louder!

As you can gather I am not happy there and want out but they I have to give 3 months notice.

Sorry for the moan but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shelley X :)

I know this sounds harsh but give your three months notice and MOVE OUT!! i was in a gym and left for the same reasons the major being it was too loud! i have now moved into local in town and although its not super busy (meaning booked full everyday) it is way busier then the gym ever was.

if you feel like you want to stay, feel free to PM me to discuss advertising that i found extremely helpful when i was in the gym location.

I think this is a quiet time of year for most, how does your appointment book look for December?

Have you tried a promotion?

What treatments do you offer?

Have a search for "how to promote your business" thread in this section, some great ideas especially for this time of year.

Have you googled yourself example "Spray tan *your area*" are you easily found?

Xx
I offer, Shellac, CND mani & pedis, waxing (I don't do Brazilian/Hollywood) , LVL lashes, Shrinking Violet inch loss wrap, spray tans and eye lash/brow tinting and party,weekend lashes.

I haven't had a single booking for December. :sad: I had an open day in October and out pf the 1400 members that were emailed only 2 showed up and the month before I had a offer on for LVL lashes with £10 off and not one person booked.

I really am a my wits end now with Christmas fast approaching.

Jen889- I'm going to give it until the end of next week and if its not picking up by then I will hand in my notice on the room.

Thanks for the advice. X :)

Shelly-Oh that is disheartening, have you added yourself to all the free advertising websites? Is it possible for you to go mobile? Even just for December to earn you some money.

The clients you've had at the gym message them and let them know (if you could do mobile) as if they are happy with your treatments but it is too noisy they may book in.

If you are staying there for the time being, could you do an xmas package shellac/tan/party lashes and put posters up advertising this in the gym/reception/bistro area?

From the promote your business thread- you can email nursery/pre schools/ golf clubs etc with an offer of a voucher for their xmas raffle (you'll need to do this quickly with december coming) get your name out there, and potentially new clients.

Good luck :)
Xx

I was in a similar position recently and I got out. Look for somewhere with an existing client base like a hairdressers. It's been 6 weeks since I moved and it's like night and day. The hairdresser promotes me mostly by displaying my treatments, nails, lashes and tan but she's getting my name out there and I wish I'd moved quicker x

Thanks once again guys for the advice. After sitting in room yesterday and listening to that dreadful noise and on top of that having to cancel the only 3 bookings that I did have this week because of delays from the supplier that I'm closing my room down. I'm going to see if I can hopefully pick up some mobile work, I'm will a bit limited in what work I will be able to do for the next few weeks because I recently had breast surgery to remove a tumour so can't lift anything to heavy but I can still do my Shellac and spray tans.

Shelley x

Latest posts

Back