New job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsarahj25xx

Reaction score
So tommorow I am starting my first ever nail job :D I only qualified mid june and have only done a few sets of l+p since... Nervous/ excited doesn't cover it!!

As far as im aware I only have 2 full sets booked in so kinda glad I wont be chocka while im still getting a feel for the place.

The salon itself has only been open 6 weeks, and I will be working 2 days to start with possibly another 2 in sept if the existing tech goes back to college (shes a friend u trained with). I will be self employed on a profit share basis as the salon advertises, takes bookings for me and provides all my stock.

Its an all under 1 roof type salon, beauty nails hair sunbeds, wondering if some more experienced SE geeks have any tips on drumming up more custom, luring in the hair clients so to speak lol or any general tips you wish someone had told you?

This is me getting an early night but far too anxious to sleep haha xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

I'm not self employed hun, but just wanted to say good luck with your job, it's always scary starting somewhere new but I'm sure you will love it :) xxx

I'm not self employed hun, but just wanted to say good luck with your job, it's always scary starting somewhere new but I'm sure you will love it :) xxx

Thanks hun, im sure i'll come away wondering why I was in such a flap about it, human nature I guess!

Thanks hun, im sure i'll come away wondering why I was in such a flap about it, human nature I guess!

Hope you had a fab day! How did you get on?

Horribly! :( only had two l+p clients in, had a huge 3 hour gap so they let me go home for abit as it was so dead! Come back in to be told they dont want me to do the next client as the first had came back compaining 3 had "pinged" off while I wasnt there.

They havent sacked me as such, they want me to come back in while my friend the other nail tech is there to troubleshoot type thing. Feel completely deflated, we did the same course at the same time but shes soo much better than me :( completely lost my confidence, I passed with 7 distinctions, I know I can do it, ive completly lost my mojo xx

Aww Hun :-(

How did you feel after you'd done the nails? Were you happy with them? Any ideas how they could've 'pinged' off (it's amazing how many nails miraculously ping off ;-) )

What course did you do? Have you felt confident up until now? Don't feel defeated by this xxx

Horribly! :( only had two l+p clients in, had a huge 3 hour gap so they let me go home for abit as it was so dead! Come back in to be told they dont want me to do the next client as the first had came back compaining 3 had "pinged" off while I wasnt there.

They havent sacked me as such, they want me to come back in while my friend the other nail tech is there to troubleshoot type thing. Feel completely deflated, we did the same course at the same time but shes soo much better than me :( completely lost my confidence, I passed with 7 distinctions, I know I can do it, ive completly lost my mojo xx

I don't want to put a downer on this but I think it needs saying...

If you're self employed then you should be able to decide to stay (or not) to work on walk ins.

I just want to mention this because I don't think you should let your confidence be knocked by people who don't genuinely treat you as a self employed person. What I'm saying is, make sure you're either on an hourly wage or completely your own boss. The salon owner can't have it both ways and in this respect, the salon owner can't tell you not to do a client if you're self employed.

Overall, don't let someone who isn't giving you a fair chance make you feel bad about your skills. Confidence comes with time and with an employer who is willing to nurture you (I'm still getting there myself!)

So yeah, chin up. Don't be afraid to look for a job where instead of sending you home, they take the time to help you develop your skills.

Just to be clear it sounds like they are calling you self employed whilst treating you as an employee and thus, I don't think that their critisism of your work is entirely credible.

Best of luck with your nail career. It is always hard to get a foot in the door but keep on going, it wil be worth it in the end *hugs*

I did vrq level 2 nail technology at a local college. I was feeling quite confident, a little rusty but I was happy id done them to the best of my ability if a little slow.

I have a feeling my ratio might have been off, they were full glitter acrylics, fine and chunky mixed. I think if anything there might have been too much glitter for it to adhere properly, thinking back I did use more glitter than I probably needed. Glitter acrylic wasnt covered in college, so its been trial and error. Glitter tips have never 'pinged' off when ive done them, nor natural or french (well they did when I first started but id overcome that!). Also the l+p they provide is nsi (which ive never really liked working with, young nails is the 1 for me!) but the primer is millemium, if that was the problem it would have happend to all 10 ( I know I shouldnt have mixed systems, its all that was there)

Id never really saw it that way, they do just seem to want the best of an employee without paying for the privelige! The manager isn't even trained in any treatments the salon offers, she just doesnt want her salon getting a bad name because of my work.

My friend who works the rest of the week is fixing them on tuesday, she said she will let me know if the nails look like they were picked off etc.

Ahh Hun, try not to let it eat away at you - as you still don't know what the problem was. Maybe it was a combination of nerves, pressure, and products you were unsure of - cos it does make a difference, each brand have their own ways.

It's easy to say, because I know how horrid the slightest complaint can make you feel but don't let it knock your confidence, you're obviously capable. Unfortunately none of us are perfect right from the start but I agree that it's not fair of the boss to send you home - especially on your first day in the salon!!

Im trying not to, it could have been anything, the girl had mentioned picking her last set off herself and the fact her dads girlfriend had her own salon half an hour away, id love it if id been that unlucky to have a chancer for my first client, at least it wasn't my fault!

Feeding my kids has never relied on my ability to do nails before! Its just so frustrating, month to month im struggling, ive never needed work more than I do now! Just feel ashamed that this has happened, dreading anyone asking how i'm getting on :(

Right im going to stop my whinging, its not getting me anywhere!! Thanks for your opinions geeks! My OH is trying to understand bless him but the beauty industry is a million times different from his (barman). Will let you know what happens tomorrow xx

No worries, it's nice to sound off to people who know what you're going through!! Onwards and upwards as they say...

Hugs :) xxx

Latest posts

Back