New nail tech here, lots of questions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Looking for some product advice to start off. I would like to get your input and experience with professional brands of Polish, Acrylics, Gels, and silk/fiberglass. I would like to use all 5free products. I am half way through school and want to start loading up or trying products that I will use later on for my clients. Our school is sponsored by OPI and personally I have not liked any of the product. I havnt tried any others yet because I am researching brands before spending my money. Id like to narrow down the list first. I dont mind spending extra for better product. I also understand that a lot of product is based on personal style and opinion. For polish, I have been looking at Zoya brand but not a lot of reviews to be read for that brand. If you will.. List each brand of product and why you like it over the others.. and If you know of any websites I could possibly get samples of product to try that would be great!!!! I wanna be ready and well educated when I graduate! (our teacher only reads the chapter to us and then we are on our own)

The school I went to used CND products. I personally love CND. They have all products that you could think of. I use Shellac, which is a a gel polish. I use their acrylic products and gel products. They also have all of their files and many other things. I am not sure if they do samples of things or not. I was able to try a lot out in school while I was there. Plus what I got in my kit for school itself. I feel bad that your teacher doesn't go further into detail about things. The teacher I had was amazing. She did such a great job.

I personally use CND shellac for my gel polish brand and for extensions liquid gel called The Edge from capital hair and beauty. I do a lot of nail art and use shellac for that too, I use matha Stewart craft glitter and lecente glitter hope this helps! To add, I trained in all 5 methods of extensions truly hate acrylic and silk! So fiddly!

I personally use CND shellac for my gel polish brand and for extensions liquid gel called The Edge from capital hair and beauty. I do a lot of nail art and use shellac for that too, I use matha Stewart craft glitter and lecente glitter hope this helps! To add, I trained in all 5 methods of extensions truly hate acrylic and silk! So fiddly!
what 5 methods of extensions??? all I know of is gel, acyrlic and silk.....

anyone have experience with zoya nail polish??

Do any clients want fibreglass or silk? Better to really concentrate on acrylic and gel.
OPI is a great brand. Their polishes are my favourite and gelcolor is a lovely gel polish.
What is it you don't like about it?
Personally I love Artistic. I think they are fab.

all the OPI powders we got are very cloudy.. as far as the polishes.. ive used cheap polishes that go on better than OPI .. as far as silk.. I would actually prefer to do silk vs acrylic. when applied correctly it can be just as strong.. I have had mine done before and they were amazing. the nail tech I went to had a different application process than what we learn in school. she layered the silk to build the nail and they lasted until they grew completely off without fraying or lifting. in my area there are no nail techs that offer silk at all within 100 miles so i hope to have that little sopmething no one else offers.

I personally find OPI has ghe best brush and formula. Great colour range too, no cheap polishes match up for me.
Yes I see you may be able to do well with silk as it'll be unusual in your area. I do find it isn't requested or liked by most clients though.

anyone have experience with zoya nail polish??
Yes I use it in my shop. It is wonderful and such pretty colors. It does take a little longer to dry than my Vinylux but it holds up great. Also nice 5 free and vegan for Eco minded clients.

I only do natural nails. I love Shellac for its easy removal. Brisa lite smoothing gel is great for clients with previous damage and for nail repairs. I also love CND Vinylux for durability and it is a great stamping polish and dries very quickly. I also use Zoya and Morgan Taylor.

Looking for some product advice to start off. I would like to get your input and experience with professional brands of Polish, Acrylics, Gels, and silk/fiberglass. I would like to use all 5free products. I am half way through school and want to start loading up or trying products that I will use later on for my clients. Our school is sponsored by OPI and personally I have not liked any of the product. I havnt tried any others yet because I am researching brands before spending my money. Id like to narrow down the list first. I dont mind spending extra for better product. I also understand that a lot of product is based on personal style and opinion. For polish, I have been looking at Zoya brand but not a lot of reviews to be read for that brand. If you will.. List each brand of product and why you like it over the others.. and If you know of any websites I could possibly get samples of product to try that would be great!!!! I wanna be ready and well educated when I graduate! (our teacher only reads the chapter to us and then we are on our own)
I love and use Young Nails as far as nail polishes I like OPI, Morgan Taylor and a retail brand Sally Hansen and Revlon

Can anyone tell me which gel brand they prefer to use for extensions? I'm thinking of getting Nubar gelicure but I read somewhere that it isn't that great to use over tips??

Nubar gelicure is excellent over tips I've been using it for 4 years now and never a problem.

Nubar gelicure is excellent over tips I've been using it for 4 years now and never a problem.

Thanks, think I'll go ahead with it then!

Pailine38 do you not use an extension product over tips first? :)

any particular lamp that goes best with Nubar? I'm wanting LED

I use gelicure over acrylics and hard gels to and no problem with any client so far, I used to use a 36w uv lamp but now use a led/uv and it works fab.. I'm trained in gelish to but prefer gelicure.. I hope that helps!

I use gelicure over acrylics and hard gels to and no problem with any client so far, I used to use a 36w uv lamp but now use a led/uv and it works fab.. I'm trained in gelish to but prefer gelicure.. I hope that helps!

Aw right, I wasn't planning on using acrylic. Just gel over the tips

As far as I'm aware gelicure is not an extension product so won't have the appropriate strength for use with tips.

Ok thanks! Do you know any gel that is?

Latest posts

Back