New salon open hours advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lfox

Reaction score
Ok so need some advice... Long story but my parents have a lovely pub with an old stable /outbuilding I started to convert into a salon. I'd already spent on it when the electrician came in and said I wouldn't have enough amps coming in to power the electric shower, well I panicked cos I'd already spent, so I opened it as a barbers instead. I do hot towel shaves and barbering (which I love) anyway I got a shower in and electic is fine, so electrician was wrong.... So because I got a lot of requests to do ladies, (iv been a mobile for 10 years so I'm known by some in my town) I changed it to appointments from 9-3 then walk in barbers from 3 till 6... I did this because I didn't see many men till 3 onwards anyway... But because I'm still building my client base up for ladies some days I have no one booked in so do I close on those days and come in at 3 for barbering. Iv sat and sat and no one comes in. And ladies ring me anyway they don't just turn up like men do.... Il be open everyday from 3 for the barbering, but I will close if I have no appointments from 10-3.... Obviously I will expand my hours the busier I get. Please bare in mind, I'm not in the town center, I'm a little room attached on a pub on the way out the town, I have very little walk by trade.... All of the pubs customers know how I work and come after 3 cod they don't want to make an appointment. The days I'm busy this set up works really well... But my mum thinks I should sit there all day, just incase someone pops in... But it's not realistic! I'm not like a busy town kinda salon, if I was in town I obviously would be open. Iv been open everyday for 7 months, and know the patten. Do u think I should sit there on the off chance a man or 2might pop in?? The men that do come in regularly come in after 3.

Well you can't just sit and expect/wait for clients to walk in, you need to get out there and let them know you are there. What advertising you doing? Do you take flyers/biz cards out on quiet days and walk round town into shops etc? This would be more productive than slipping off home on a quieter day and saves you from boredom of sitting around salon. :)

Well you can't just sit and expect/wait for clients to walk in, you need to get out there and let them know you are there. What advertising you doing? Do you take flyers/biz cards out on quiet days and walk round town into shops etc? This would be more productive than slipping off home on a quieter day and saves you from boredom of sitting around salon. :)

Yes iv spent a fortune on advertising, and don't get me wrong I am getting new clients word of mouth, I have loyalty cards... Refer a friend discount. Iv been out handing leaflets out.... U name it iv done it.... It's building but slowly. But it's slow!!! I just can't justify sitting for 6 hrs for next to nothing.... Costing me more in electric, and heating.
Don't get me wrong when I'm booked up it works out really well, iv got the best of both worlds... I'm still booking ladies in doing the colours, and get to do barbering (which I love) but just need to fill a few more days with the ladies appointments.

I know the feeling as I'm building my client list from scratch. Started renting a chair last may. Def busier this year than this time last year but a long way to go yet.
Instead of opening a full day on your quiet days then why not open a few hours instead?

clients pop round to see if they can book an appointment and your closed, so they pop back a different day & your closed again and it keeps happening they won't keep coming back! I don't know why you wouldn't sit there day after day just incase a client does come? If you have better things to spend your time on than building a business then fab go do that, but building a business takes a lot of patience, Im in the back corner of a village with very little passing trade & I sat day after day in my salon twiddling my thumbs for 2 years, until people understood I was there, I have 3 kids at home I could have been spending time with but I'd still stay open wether I had clients or not from opening time to closing time, it shows a good ethic I think, there's nothing worse than a shop that's only open as and when it feels like, the cafe next door used to do that, she was "supposed" to be open till 4, id go round at 3.30 & she'd have gone for the day because it was quiet! I took my money elsewhere so did others and she's shut down. Moral is, those who persevere through the tough times (me) win (currently booked up weeks in advance) and those who can't be bothered (next door) loose (people started going elsewhere) you only get out what you put in, I know it's deflating to sit there day after day but if you don't you will miss the walk in clients however rare they may be now it won't be that way forever

clients pop round to see if they can book an appointment and your closed, so they pop back a different day & your closed again and it keeps happening they won't keep coming back! I don't know why you wouldn't sit there day after day just incase a client does come? If you have better things to spend your time on than building a business then fab go do that, but building a business takes a lot of patience, Im in the back corner of a village with very little passing trade & I sat day after day in my salon twiddling my thumbs for 2 years, until people understood I was there, I have 3 kids at home I could have been spending time with but I'd still stay open wether I had clients or not from opening time to closing time, it shows a good ethic I think, there's nothing worse than a shop that's only open as and when it feels like, the cafe next door used to do that, she was "supposed" to be open till 4, id go round at 3.30 & she'd have gone for the day because it was quiet! I took my money elsewhere so did others and she's shut down. Moral is, those who persevere through the tough times (me) win (currently booked up weeks in advance) and those who can't be bothered (next door) loose (people started going elsewhere) you only get out what you put in, I know it's deflating to sit there day after day but if you don't you will miss the walk in clients however rare they may be now it won't be that way forever
Well I do have a sign with opening times on the wall, babering is only from 3 till closing anyway, which I'm open for everyday... But it's does state that appointments need to be made from 9-3 which has my number up there to book.
I know the barber up in the town, when she started she only opened half days... Now she's open full days as her business has progressed... I get what your saying..., but I don't even have a window haha! I'm just feeling very bored!

Latest posts

Back