New Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feebeast

Reaction score
Help!!!

I've had it with my office job. I love doing nails and want to do this as a full time occupation but... I want a business that'll make me £££ even when I'm not there, so that means;

1. employees
2. some other service that can make money on it's own (or in a short space of time)

So, I'm thinking about opening my own nails & tanning salon as I figure sunbeds need mininmum time spent on them (cleaning in between clients and getting ppl into them) and spray tanning is quick - and the two (tanning and nails) kinda go hand in hand (pardon the pun).

I would appreaciate anyone out there to share their experiences of this business with me - Financally (what's the best way to raise capital?), Health & safety, Employees - how to find good ones, what employees are paid p/h, How do I find a good accountant? - what is their going rate, What should I be looking out for - are there any hidden problems in running a business in this industry? Are sunbed's better to lease or buy? Who does the best spray tan system? soooooooo many questions :rolleyes: is it a good idea or not? - worth taking the plunge?

Any help gratefully received....

Hi there,

I am in the process of hopefully taking over an existing nail/beauty salon.

I am so excited.

I am going in with a friend and am off to see the Bank Manager, if I can be of any help or maybe anyone else can give me some advice/tips, please do so.

Sam
Nothing But Nails

feebeast said:
Help!!!

I've had it with my office job. I love doing nails and want to do this as a full time occupation but... I want a business that'll make me £££ even when I'm not there, so that means;

1. employees
2. some other service that can make money on it's own (or in a short space of time)

So, I'm thinking about opening my own nails & tanning salon as I figure sunbeds need mininmum time spent on them (cleaning in between clients and getting ppl into them) and spray tanning is quick - and the two (tanning and nails) kinda go hand in hand (pardon the pun).

I would appreaciate anyone out there to share their experiences of this business with me - Financally (what's the best way to raise capital?), Health & safety, Employees - how to find good ones, what employees are paid p/h, How do I find a good accountant? - what is their going rate, What should I be looking out for - are there any hidden problems in running a business in this industry? Are sunbed's better to lease or buy? Who does the best spray tan system? soooooooo many questions :rolleyes: is it a good idea or not? - worth taking the plunge?

Any help gratefully received....

Well, I think it is better to buy them because it works out cheaper in the long run. However, this can be expensive so your business plan is really important and your forecast.

The lads I used to work with didn't take all this into consideration and the had to sell up not even 1 year in. They had 2 vertical sunbeds and 1 horizontal. You have to take into consideration the time it will take to build your clientele in that area.

I now run my own Salon, and ideally I will take on staff eventually but at the moment it is just little young me! Nails are my main service and they always will be, but I am taking a course with Su-Do on March 2nd for tanning and body art. Things like tooth gems etc are a good way of making extra income, but you need to know whether this sort of thing will do well in your area.

When I am ready to employ somebody then I will go for somebody who I can trust to look after my Salon when I am not there. Because that is very important. I would like my business to earn whilst I am not there but that all comes in time, and I think you have to start small and work your way higher. As long as you cover your outgoings to start off with that is the most important thing, the rest comes with time.

As for an accountant, mine quoted me £320, and really you only need them once a year. However, Barclays do a program for the computer that costs about £150, and providing you imput everything, it works out tax etc for you. This means an accountant wouldn't be necessary, and you only have one payment to make. So I would check that out.

I'm not sure what people pay hourly, I suppose it depends on the job. For example, a receptionist would take an hourly rate, maybe £4-£5, but another nail technician might want to rent a space.

I have huge plans for my shop, but my Mum is keeping my feet firmly on the ground and making sure I take it one step at a time. Hope this helps.

Victoria x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back