New to industry and totally obsessed to further my nail career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovelife

Reaction score
Hi everyone after being a civil servant for 13 years at age 30 and two children under four i decided to take the plunge and change career. This may sound mad but ever since leaving school ive always wanted to do nails but bills and a mortgage stopped me from leaving my very well paid job! It all came to ahead last january when my partner who i have been with since school at age 33 had a massive heart attack out the blue! Luckily he is now well again and back on light duties in greater manchester police force. After a long hard chat he fully supports me and at the moment we are finacially stable enough for me to change career. BUT last year i saved up and did a Quick five day nail tech course at sallys thinking because i already have the nak so to speak i would do this course and get a job. No i was wrong and very stupid to think i could. I have a nail trainer and practice on family the basic nails white tips clear tips glitter and now started sculpting. Last year i also finished my level three beauty and again stupidly did a quick three day hair extension course in manchester. Im about to do my last exam on my level three on tuesday and hand my folder in. I will then get my certs through march (i trained with a private style accademy in southport.) My partner is saying go for it when my certs are through go mobile but im no were near ready as i feel there are two many mobile nail and beauty people out there. I am willing to work on an apprentice wage build up my technique i know it can take a good few years and im willing to do this but i just want to concentrate doing this on nails. There is no where in wigan taking anyone on like me they want people that can do nails quick and perfect and in and out kind of thing. I havnt a clue on cnd shellac ect when i look at there courses there is so many and soooo expensive. What im trying to say is i want to crawl before i run so to speak i bow down to all you wounder full nail techs out there i certainly aint one of these people that does a quick course and thats it there fab. Any advise on where to go next would be great put it this way i love nails that much if i won the lotto id still want to persue this as a career im willing to work for free im that obsessed. I spend hrs looking on the internet at videos on how to do different techniques its so overwhelming. Im thinking do i do a fulltime nail tech course at college and start from scratch? :lol: be kind remember we all start off somewhere! x

Some course leave you finishing confident and others not so much so. It is a gamble and seeing that youre already officially qualified im not sure that a full time college course is the answer bearing in mind that a full time course can dedicate a fair bit of time to going throughpaper work that youve already done.

In my opinion, nobody is totally ready for industry when they leave college. I did nvq3 in nails but because i didnt feel confident after this ive done courses with cnd and this proved to be very helpful. Also read and do as much as you can. Speed painting come with time. I giess what im saying is that dont beat yourself up for not being ready post college necause i would say thats pretty normal and its ultimately a case of further training with a product company and lots of practice.

Best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Back