New to nails and using Shellac - had a few problems, feel disheartned

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy.trudylee

Reaction score
have been using shellac for a little while now. done 12 sets of friends nails but had problems with 4 sets - some nails have pinged off whole, some just haven't lasted more than a few days. am feeling very disheartened & thinking its my fault - I am correcting free of charge any that have gone wrong so I can work with these clients & get it right.
did any other shellac users go thro this when they first started out?
I have done a general gel course, but not specifically shellac

what do you mean by they're pinging off? Do you mean peeling off or are you carrying out enhancements with shellac on top?

What is your process step by step?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Get yourself on a shellac course, its great value for money and as shellac isnt a gel but a power polish you will learn lots and figure out where you are going wrong

what do you mean by they're pinging off? Do you mean peeling off or are you carrying out enhancements with shellac on top?

What is your process step by step?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes they are peeling off, but one client said that the whole of one nail just fell off her fingernail. i am not using anything but shellac (no enhancements etc).
my process is hand sanitise, file, cuticle work (with cuticle remover but not cnd product), scrubfresh, brush to remove anything from nail plate, base coat (cure 10 secs in cnd lamp), 2 coats colour (2 min each coat), top coat (2 min), Dsperse then cuticle oil (not solar oil). the peeling isnt happening each time and its not always the same colour thats causing it.thanks

Get yourself on a shellac course, its great value for money and as shellac isnt a gel but a power polish you will learn lots and figure out where you are going wrong

yes i had wondered if perhaps i should do this, but as im just starting out was trying to be careful with my money. my nearest course is 2 hours away too! but thanks for the advice. did you go on the course?

Yes they are peeling off, but one client said that the whole of one nail just fell off her fingernail. i am not using anything but shellac (no enhancements etc).
my process is hand sanitise, file, cuticle work (with cuticle remover but not cnd product), scrubfresh, brush to remove anything from nail plate, base coat (cure 10 secs in cnd lamp), 2 coats colour (2 min each coat), top coat (2 min), Dsperse then cuticle oil (not solar oil). the peeling isnt happening each time and its not always the same colour thats causing it.thanks

The only thing I can see that is standing out is are you getting clients to wash their hands to deactivate the cuticle remover ?

This needs to be done before scrub fresh and really thin coats! Xx

Are you using the CND lamp? And if you are you could check your bulbs. It might not be curing properly and that's causing it to lift

What is the step after scrubfresh " brush to remove anything from nail plate"? After you scrubfresh nails the next step is Shellac base coat as touching nails with anything else can cause lifting.

The only thing I can see that is standing out is are you getting clients to wash their hands to deactivate the cuticle remover ?

This needs to be done before scrub fresh and really thin coats! Xx

Hi, no i am not getting them to wash their hands (i know you need to with cuticle away but i am using a kaeso remover). The thing is, surely it would happen with all clients if this was the case?

Are you using the CND lamp? And if you are you could check your bulbs. It might not be curing properly and that's causing it to lift

Hi, yes its a cnd lamp i only bought the other month. if it was a bulb problem wouldnt all clients have the same problem? how would i check the bulbs please (do you mean to check their remaining life?)

What is the step after scrubfresh " brush to remove anything from nail plate"? After you scrubfresh nails the next step is Shellac base coat as touching nails with anything else can cause lifting.

Hi, yes i had only been adding this step recently as i have found the lint free wipes i have been using arent tough enough and bits are staying on the nail plate.this could be my problem couldnt it? what better lint free wipes could you recommned please? thanks

I had this problem when using cuticle remover... I would send these particular clients to the sink with their own nail brush and since then the problem seems to have resolved itself.
I found it hard to believe that Scrub Fresh wasn't enough for that little bit of cuticle remover but the problem seems to have gone by the wayside with these very same clients.

Hi, yes i had only been adding this step recently as i have found the lint free wipes i have been using arent tough enough and bits are staying on the nail plate.this could be my problem couldnt it? what better lint free wipes could you recommned please? thanks

Cut up wax strips are great! No lint X

I had this problem when using cuticle remover... I would send these particular clients to the sink with their own nail brush and since then the problem seems to have resolved itself.
I found it hard to believe that Scrub Fresh wasn't enough for that little bit of cuticle remover but the problem seems to have gone by the wayside with these very same clients.

Thanks i'll give that a try

Cut up wax strips are great! No lint X

what a brilliant idea! And probably much cheaper too. are there particular ones you recommend please (paper or fabric)?

Hi, yes its a cnd lamp i only bought the other month. if it was a bulb problem wouldnt all clients have the same problem? how would i check the bulbs please (do you mean to check their remaining life?)

Yes I meant check the bulb life, but I like you say all the clients would be having the same problem. My mistake I must have misread your original post and not realised it was just a few clients having the problem :)

I had a peeling shellac problem with one client and we worked out it was caused by the cuticle oil she was using, I can't remember what brand it was now. When she swapped for Solar Oil it didn't happen any more.

I had a peeling shellac problem with one client and we worked out it was caused by the cuticle oil she was using, I can't remember what brand it was now. When she swapped for Solar Oil it didn't happen any more.

oh blimey, really. i'm really amazed different cuticle oil would make a difference. i had bought a cheaper cuticle oil which i use & retail on as i didnt think clients would pay out for solar oil. god its a huge learning curve, thanks

Latest posts

Back