New to tanning, please help with mobile set up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieJ

Reaction score
Hi there, I completed my spray tan training a few days ago, I've got all my kit and ready to add it to my mobile treatments but I haven't got an extractor and I don't want to go mobile without one for fear of causing any damage at all to someone's property. Please can you advise of the best extractor to buy? I have the inflatable Tan in Tent which has a rear extractor flap. I've been looking at the Typhoon extractor and the Castlepoint extractor. Any mobile technicians with advice for me please? and any other tips you have for mobile tanning greatfully received :) x

Hi, I don't use an extractor, never have done... I do put towels down under my tent just in case and always check for tears/holes etc.. I would advise to remember to add tanning to your insurance, that's a must!
Good luck x

Hayley :)

I'm mobile too by the way x

Thanks for your reply. I had the training 1-2-1 in my kitchen, which has a white floor, white work surfaces and a white table. We did 2 tans. There was a couple of marks on the floor where the clients had walked in their sticky feet and near to the edges of the tent, which I suppose I could eliminate with towels/shower curtain on the floor but it was the very fine coating on all the surfaces that I couldn't actually see but picked up when wiping round all the kitchen surfaces/floor which surprised me. I suppose my kitchen is an extreme example with its amount of white and coupled with my OCD, it was a very good test for overspray but I'm now really worried about doing a tan in someone's home and getting a call the following day regarding damage. That's not something I want to have to deal with, so want an extractor from the outset.

I'm with you on the OCD haha and have a gleaming white kitchen too...I do lots of tans in there and never had a bit of tan go anywhere other tan inside the tent?? As long as your client is inside the tent and your spraying correctly you shouldn't get any soloution anywhere. I spray in people's homes daily and it's fine, on beige carpets, white floors ..wall papered rooms the lot. I keep a hand towel on the floor outside of my tent and ask the client to step out onto that, you could get them to pull off the sticky feet then step onto it. I'd say with an extractor think about travelling with it, if your keen to use one it might be best to invest in a lightweight one x

Thanks, Hayley, you're being most helpful. Obviously my spraying was rubbish and I used too much solution. We didn't have a window open either. I'm hoping my technique will get much better and therefore eliminate a lot of overspray and an extractor will just give me peace of mind x

I'm partly mobile and don't use an extractor either.
I place a shower curtain under the tent. Towel inside and outside to step on and one underneath machine.
If I'm doing more than one tan I tell them to open a window.
I always ask where they would prefer me to set up as they may get a slight film of tan settling on surfaces but it wipes off.
X

Sent from the catphone

What if the best place to have enough room for tanning is the lounge? How do you deal with the slight film settling on soft furnishings? sofa etc.... please?

What if the best place to have enough room for tanning is the lounge? How do you deal with the slight film settling on soft furnishings? sofa etc.... please?

To be honest it's never been a problem.
I only use 40ml of solution and hardly have any over spray. If the client has all white furnishings then I would advise they pop a sheet over just to be on safe side x

Sent from the catphone

No probs...I doubt your praying was rubbish though.. Don't be so harsh on yourself. One thing to remember is that too much over spray is also wasted money ;)

so, for those of you who do use an extractor, which is the best please?

Always place a towel or mat just outside your tent. I'll put money on the fact, that when spraying the arms, you are spraying a little out of the tent causing the overspray. I see this time and time again. You are probably not aware of it. So when you spray the arms make sure you always place one foot in the tent yourself. This way you wont at any point be tempted to spray the arms at the entrance of your tent causing overspray in your room.
HTH

I have the Tan in Tent, it's a good size and yes, I think the client could stand a good distance from the entrance to the tent, with me more inside too. Thanks for that.

I've been tanning mobile for two years.

I have a large plastic cover (like the cheque kitchen table covers) on the floor under and in front of tent. Then towels inside and 1 outside for the client to step on to when they get out.

I just ask the client to open a window to let some air in.

I haven't seen any good lightweight extractors that aren't ridiculously expensive.

I hope you find one :)

XxxX

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If anybody does use an extractor, please can you tell me which extractor you do use? thanks x

If anybody does use an extractor, please can you tell me which extractor you do use? thanks x

I'm no use either Julie but wanted to let you know I tried a couple of mobile lightweight extractor fans and they were just too expensive for what they offered, they weren't that lightweight either! Others may have different views on them though. I mobile spray tan and just go overboard on towels, sheets, etc. Touch wood, never had overspill. I haven't ever tanned in a living room only bathrooms, kitchens and conservatory and always warn clients about possibility of film over surfaces and windows being opened.

Latest posts

Back