Newbie advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Hi geeklettes, just comp my svq in manicure and art nail ext in feb but still practising my acrylics on nail trainer and unsuspecting victims. I seem to be getting worse rather than better. Iam saving to start some training with CND, but the question is should I go straight to the CND l&p basics conversion course or should I maybe save for the shellac or minx so that I can start charging some customers and use the money to invest in more courses and then go back to l&p or just stick with the l&p?? I trained using salon systems at college but using nsi at the mo and ceratinly not charging anyone until I feel that Iam perfect. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi geeklettes, just comp my svq in manicure and art nail ext in feb but still practising my acrylics on nail trainer and unsuspecting victims. I seem to be getting worse rather than better. Iam saving to start some training with CND, but the question is should I go straight to the CND l&p basics conversion course or should I maybe save for the shellac or minx so that I can start charging some customers and use the money to invest in more courses and then go back to l&p or just stick with the l&p?? I trained using salon systems at college but using nsi at the mo and ceratinly not charging anyone until I feel that Iam perfect. Any advice would be appreciated :)

My thought would be to train in Shellac and Minx first because these are vey sought after services and will make you the money you need while you get more competent with your L&P. Once you feel competent then you are ready to convert to CND.

Minx and Shellac are simple but everyone is doing so well with them.

You DO need to know how to really polish well to be able to use Shellac really well. Most technicians actually do not know the theory behind doing a good polish. There is much more to polishing then just painting it on; there is knowing how and the right techniques .. there is knowing when it is too think or too thin and there is knowing how to really seal the free edge .. and most techs do not ever get trained to do it right or even why they are doing what they are doing. Many have been applying polish to their own nails for years and think they know how to do it but I can tell you they do not.

Best manicurists around are still the original Revlon trained manicurists and guess what?? When we get those people buying Shellac .. they have nil problems with anything .. no, not a one! :green:

Hi Gigi,
wow thanx for such a quick reply, I'm kinda shocked and honoured that you 're the first to reply never mind just to receive any replies!! I think i'm quite good with the polish, been doin french polish for a few yrs on family and work colleagues by request never charged and that's kinda pushed me into acrylics - i'm absoultely bursting to get started on all aspects of nail care and enhancements- just need a wee bit more training and confidence building. Infact just read over your tut on zone 3- making it disappear a few days ago and immediately and magically it worked. Think you're correct in your advice- just required someone in the knowledge to put me in the right direction.
Thanks again gigi xxx :

Hi Gigi - you speak so passionately about perfect polish application! I love it! I too am a perfectionist when it comes to polish, but I'd love to perfect it even more.

Could you point me (and cookie) in the direction of a tutorial or further information behind polish techniques - does your book cover it?

Thanks so much x

Hi both and thank you for your replies. Yes my book, 'nailclass' does cover perfect polish application but I have made a few little technique changes for Shellac. You can also find a tutorial here on the site in the member tutorials section and click on Finishing.

yep that'd be great, thanx clever rabbit and of course geeg xx

Firstly may i just say that, if you are qualified and have insurance, then there is absolutly no reason why you shouldnt charge for your services even if on friends and family..

I only charged the price of my materials when i started nail enhancements, until such time i passed and i felt confident to actually start my business properly..

That way you will have a course fund pot already filling. high end enhancement products do cost and also need replenishing.

Best of luck for your venture :)

hi nailz73, yeah I see wot ur sayin' but if u saw the special built up nails (akin to special built up shoes) that i've been inflictin' on folk then u'd think twice b4 chargin' anyone, tbh the first time I ever sculpted a nail in calss and on myself were - dare i say pretty perfect looking but 5 months later i seem to be gettin' worse with the mix ratio and smile line. One day I'm super confident and they're great the next day i try they look as if ten pit bulls have have been chewin' them while chewin' a wasp xx- but thanx for posting i know ur right- just need to belive in myself- thanx xx

Latest posts

Back