Newbie help...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princessamie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the industry and am after some advice, I hope you can help. My story so far...

In 2010 I was looking to try something new and always fancied the idea of working for myself and doing acrylics. I'd had them done in the past and always loved the thought of being able to offer that service myself. So, I did a home course with Essential Nails in Acryllic Overlay. I passed the course and received a Diploma. Then, I got a job in an office and sort of back benched it all.

Now, my situation has changed. My husband and I are moving to a new area and are financially stable enough for me to finally get started with the nails. I need to build my confidence again in acrylics and practice for the next few months (we're moving to the new area in November and that's when I will start with nails) and look to broaden my skills.

I've been looking into Shellac and it seems very popular! As I did a home course in l&p, I'm thinking I will need to do a course in manicure to be able to train with Creative to then offer Shellac. Is this right? They wouldn't just accept a Acrylic diploma would they?

So... I need to know or get advice on where best to get the manicure qual. There are a few one day courses in my area via Capital and Sallys but I'm not sure if these would be adequate?! I've looked into doing a course with Creative and it's quite pricey but would sort of kill two birds with one stone - £1600ish +VAT for manicure and Shellac. Would this be best do you think?

I just don't know where to start really - I've been researching for days but haven't really got any further with my decision making because I've also come across Gelish and Gelux... Should I go with one of these instead? Is the quality the same? Is the demand for the product the same?

Luckily - I don't have to decide right away because there is a high demand for acrylics in the area I'm off to - I know business will be slow at first and it will take time to build up a client base but I know that Acrylics would be enough to start off with IYKWIM.

So... Can anybody help? I'd be so grateful for any advice you can give or any criticism of whether or not I'm doing the right thing or on the right track really.

Thank you in advance - I know you're all very busy with your own businesses!

Amie x

Latest posts

Back