Newbie! Researching gel polish brands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camillebates

Reaction score
Hello lovelies!

I'm very new to the nail world :D I'm currently training as a nail tech and I'm researching gel polish brands so I can go search the forums looking for people's views.

Please could you give me some examples of brands to search for? I know the obvious ones, cnd shellac, gelish, gellux etc. Are there any 'best kept secrets' out there?

Also I know the general rules are use the manufacturers recommended lamps for their products, but are there any brand of gel polish that will work with a 'generic' lamp (if such a thing exists! )? I have read the sticky on lamps. Lots of information to take in there!

I'm not necessarily asking for your opinions on these brands (although all info is welcome!) :D I'm familiar with the search feature I just need to know what I'm searching for!

Thanks in advance!
P.s hello! Xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Check out Christrio (great YouTube videos) & Akzentz Luxio & Options - Gina Silvestro has great YouTube videos as well!

Good luck!

Hey!

Firstly I would say stick to a more well known, leading brand such as CND or Gelish. They are well recognised by clients, save explanations on a different brand, and clients ask for these by name.

I made the mistake at the beginning of spending €120 of money I saved very hard for on a gel polish kit that was not a good brand & not at all known and I had such problems with removals & the company itself.

So purely to save you time & money in the long run I would say its best to invest now at the beginning :) good luck with everything! X

Check out Christrio (great YouTube videos) & Akzentz Luxio & Options - Gina Silvestro has great YouTube videos as well!

Good luck!

Thank you I will :)

Thanks for the advise. I know what you mean about sticking to what you know.

I have to admit I am a little discouraged by CND with the whole lamp saga... although hopefully that will be resolved by the time I'm qualified and have saved up! Lots of people around here offer CND Shellac (and lots also offering the cheap ebay rubbish :eek: !) I just fancied trying to stand out from the crowd, and making it my USP.... y'know?

Anyone know what Gellux is like?

Xx

Thanks for the advise. I know what you mean about sticking to what you know.

I have to admit I am a little discouraged by CND with the whole lamp saga... although hopefully that will be resolved by the time I'm qualified and have saved up! Lots of people around here offer CND Shellac (and lots also offering the cheap ebay rubbish :eek: !) I just fancied trying to stand out from the crowd, and making it my USP.... y'know?

Anyone know what Gellux is like?

Xx

Yeah standing out is always good too, and it seems you are doing your research rather than just going with the cheapest available. Good luck /) x

Hi There,
I use IBd Just Gel and love it. I also use the hard gel so am Ibd all the way lol.
Good luck!
Jo

I had Gellux applied to my nails, was a pain to remove - I used the wrapping method and my nails have been damaged - this was in September of last year - just have the last bit of damage to grow out - my personal opinion would be not to touch it. I love and use Shellac on my clients - can't comment on Gelish x

I bought the Gelissimo brand, the products are brilliant, removal is a bit longer than shellac and requires a bit of buffing but its easy once you get the hang of it. Plus it lasta up to 3 weeks without chipping xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've tried a lot of the professional gels out there and have chosen to go with OPI Gelcolor and am in the process of adding the new Essie gels - if you need to keep your budget fairly low then I'd consider IBD - they are a good budget brand....

Good luck in your choice and your future :hug:

I've tried a lot of the professional gels out there and have chosen to go with OPI Gelcolor and am in the process of adding the new Essie gels - if you need to keep your budget fairly low then I'd consider IBD - they are a good budget brand....

Good luck in your choice and your future :hug:

Ooooh ouch.
:sad:

there are so many great brands and colors to choose from
i think a lot of techs are carrying more then one gel polish brand now they love variety x

Latest posts

Back