Newbie struggling with Shellac - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsbeautysol

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I started my mobile business back in February. I am currently using the full CND shellac product range and I've also attended the bring me back course. However I have quite a few people complain of their shellac chipping and peeling. This has knocked my confidence totally, plus I've invested a lot of money into buying everything.
I feel so many things can go wrong with this product down to factors such as nail not oil/grease free, cuticles not pushed back enough, nail condition, nail shape, what they do in their day to day life. The only thing my clients want is a polish that will last 14 days as advertised, I don't see an * next to it advising all the things that might go wrong due to the above.
Sorry to go on but I am totally frustrated and am thinking of using another shellac system, a few people have recommended geleration (jessica).
I just want a product that doesn't involve masterful techniques and does as it says on the bottle, without comebacks of me having to explain what may have caused it to peel or chip. Also iced cappuchino is a nightmare, why bring a out a product that just looks awful on the nails unless you practice it over and over just to get it ok. Is anyone out there feeling the same? I had high hopes for this product but now I have no confidence in it at all.

Hi everyone, I started my mobile business back in February. I am currently using the full CND shellac product range and I've also attended the bring me back course. However I have quite a few people complain of their shellac chipping and peeling. This has knocked my confidence totally, plus I've invested a lot of money into buying everything.
I feel so many things can go wrong with this product down to factors such as nail not oil/grease free, cuticles not pushed back enough, nail condition, nail shape, what they do in their day to day life. The only thing my clients want is a polish that will last 14 days as advertised, I don't see an * next to it advising all the things that might go wrong due to the above.
Sorry to go on but I am totally frustrated and am thinking of using another shellac system, a few people have recommended geleration (jessica).
I just want a product that doesn't involve masterful techniques and does as it says on the bottle, without comebacks of me having to explain what may have caused it to peel or chip. Also iced cappuchino is a nightmare, why bring a out a product that just looks awful on the nails unless you practice it over and over just to get it ok. Is anyone out there feeling the same? I had high hopes for this product but now I have no confidence in it at all.

Hi,

Sorry to say but your never going to get any sort of gel system or product which works on everyone, under every circumstance. If you think by switching you will have a magical cure trust me You won't! They all need to be applied correctly and as directed. Things will always affect the service such as oil, the way they use their hands, if their nails flake chip or break etc every gel polish system is pretty much the same.

Are you sure you are applying it correctly and effectively? Rather than blame the product, I would look at my application then if I knew that was fine I would look at the client, their nails and their lifestyle. I say this as I know some geeks clients always get 2 weeks wear out of their shellac so when mine chips I know it's probably something I've done like not capping the free edge properly etc, or the client has dry flaky nails, or perhaps they have picked at it?

Most of the clients I do experience little to no chips in the first 2weeks. I did my best friends nails in shellac 3 weeks ago and she works doing manual work and heavy lifting in the Tate modern every day. She texted me today and she's got one chip but thats it!

It can be done but it depends on a lot of factors!
I used to use opi and it was exactly the same! Nothing is 100% guaranteed!

If it was easy to do, we wouldn't have a job.

I have had clients who have no issue at all and been on holiday for 2 weeks and their nails haven't budged. Then I have some clients, who have nails in perfect condition and they have peeling or chipping. I know thin layers and capping the free edge are highly important, not to flood the side walls or cuticle and to leave a gap, Glide on top coat and keep base coat thin too. I also give them the correct after are advice I.e wear gloves when using cleaning products or washing up. Can anyone give me advice on how to deal with a complaint of chipping or peeling? I have heard of brisa lite should this be introduced to clients with problem nails such as ridges, weakness and peeling? I really didn't mean to sound overly negative in my first post, but I really want this to wrk for me

I've worked with both shellac and artistic and I have to say I don't think shellac is as hard wearing. My artistic clients would 9 times out of 10 have no chips when they came back two weeks later. I used to have artistic on constantly whilst working n have no damage but I can't wear shellac whilst working cos they begin to peel. X

I've worked with both shellac and artistic and I have to say I don't think shellac is as hard wearing. My artistic clients would 9 times out of 10 have no chips when they came back two weeks later. I used to have artistic on constantly whilst working n have no damage but I can't wear shellac whilst working cos they begin to peel. X

I have spoken to other nail experts and they have said something along the same lines to this. I am new to shellac, i actually loved my Cnd training and I've booked on the style and art course in feb as it's something I wish to progress in. X

I have spoken to other nail experts and they have said something along the same lines to this. I am new to shellac, i actually loved my Cnd training and I've booked on the style and art course in feb as it's something I wish to progress in. X

Yeah- When I used opi it was thicker so perhaps slightly harder wearing but also much harder to budge soak offs would take ages! That's why i switched in the end. I like shellac as it's thinner and more like a polish. If it's really not working for you you have two options....try brisa lite smoothing? Or trial another gel polish brand?

Yeah- When I used opi it was thicker so perhaps slightly harder wearing but also much harder to budge soak offs would take ages! That's why i switched in the end. I like shellac as it's thinner and more like a polish. If it's really not working for you you have two options....try brisa lite smoothing? Or trial another gel polish brand?

I will invest in brisa lite and if I come across nails that i think May need it then I will see how that goes. I do find them easy to remove but also find some of the colours need 3 coats as you can still see the smile line after applying 2 coats. Another issue I have with CND is the lack of neon colours, a lot of girls asked me for these throughout the summer and I didn't have much choice. Which in turn meant they would visit another therapist that could give them what they wanted. X

I will invest in brisa lite and if I come across nails that i think May need it then I will see how that goes. I do find them easy to remove but also find some of the colours need 3 coats as you can still see the smile line after applying 2 coats. Another issue I have with CND is the lack of neon colours, a lot of girls asked me for these throughout the summer and I didn't have much choice. Which in turn meant they would visit another therapist that could give them what they wanted. X

Yeah the colour range isn't as extensive as the other brands I will admit! Hoping we get some neons next summer! If they don't bring out neon next year I may buy a few from gelish or someone who does offer it.

Some people get on with shellac, some get on with gels, all,systems need prep/pep and need to be done correctly and thoroughly.

I have clients that have shellac that's chips, when they wear Gelish it doesn't, why who knows which is why I do both, plus I get the colours that shellac isn't in and unfort CND won't be bringing neon out they've already said due to something in the neon colours. I have neon pigments which work brill with shellac and neons in Gelish, best of both worlds.

Don't give up keep going and getting your pep 100% and if need be try brisa lite smoothing gel! it does help.

Yeah the colour range isn't as extensive as the other brands I will admit! Hoping we get some neons next summer! If they don't bring out neon next year I may buy a few from gelish or someone who does offer it.

They do have one out but it doesn't include a vibrant, bright neon pink which I was asked for constantly. If I change brands does it mean I have to buy a new lamp also?

Some people get on with shellac, some get on with gels, all,systems need prep/pep and need to be done correctly and thoroughly.

I have clients that have shellac that's chips, when they wear Gelish it doesn't, why who knows which is why I do both, plus I get the colours that shellac isn't in and unfort CND won't be bringing neon out they've already said due to something in the neon colours. I have neon pigments which work brill with shellac and neons in Gelish, best of both worlds.

Don't give up keep going and getting your pep 100% and if need be try brisa lite smoothing gel! it does help.

Thank you for such encouraging words and advice! I have been thinking of getting another system and using both alongside each other for different clients. I understand prep is so important and am hoping am getting there to perfecting it.
If you don't mind me asking, but where do you buy your neon pigments? And do you use them over cream puff or colours? Xx

Thank you for such encouraging words and advice! I have been thinking of getting another system and using both alongside each other for different clients. I understand prep is so important and am hoping am getting there to perfecting it.
If you don't mind me asking, but where do you buy your neon pigments? And do you use them over cream puff or colours? Xx

That's ok, we have to be prescriptive and sometimes things don't work even when your pep or preps right.. That's why I got and do both.

I got mine from Australia via ebay and I use them either over cream puff or studio white depending on the look I'm wanting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 295
They do have one out but it doesn't include a vibrant, bright neon pink which I was asked for constantly. If I change brands does it mean I have to buy a new lamp also?

Hot pop pink is quite bright?
I believe the CND lamp will cure most products but you can check with the manufacturers!

Could you link us to the pigments please :)? X

That's ok, we have to be prescriptive and sometimes things don't work even when your pep or preps right.. That's why I got and do both.

I got mine from Australia via ebay and I use them either over cream puff or studio white depending on the look I'm wanting.

They look great can you send me the link of where I can get them please, that's again x

I admit I struggled with Shellac At first... The removal, getting it to last etc and I lost my confidence totally as it just wasn't lasting. I then went and trained with Gelish and as my confidence grew I went back to have another go at Shellac. I booked a one 2 one with my trainer who watched my every move on prep, application and removal.

It was the best 2 hours ever. It turned out there was only 2 problems...My confidence and my 'faffing'!
Not everyone can wear Shellac or Gelish and as much as I'd like to think id know from looking at their nails which they would best suit - I can't!

That's why I offer both. I love Shellac, it's an amazing product but it's just not suited to everyone do please do not lose confidence in the product.

Gelish is lovely too and the colours are amazing but it won't replace Shellac. The only annoying problem with Gelish is that it seems anyone can buy it but other than that I love it too! Both very different but both fab!

Now I rarely have any problems with either and I think that is down to practise, practise and more practise!

Keep your chin up, relax and be confident. Good luck. X

I admit I struggled with Shellac At first... The removal, getting it to last etc and I lost my confidence totally as it just wasn't lasting. I then went and trained with Gelish and as my confidence grew I went back to have another go at Shellac. I booked a one 2 one with my trainer who watched my every move on prep, application and removal.

It was the best 2 hours ever. It turned out there was only 2 problems...My confidence and my 'faffing'!
Not everyone can wear Shellac or Gelish and as much as I'd like to think id know from looking at their nails which they would best suit - I can't!

That's why I offer both. I love Shellac, it's an amazing product but it's just not suited to everyone do please do not lose confidence in the product.

Gelish is lovely too and the colours are amazing but it won't replace Shellac. The only annoying problem with Gelish is that it seems anyone can buy it but other than that I love it too! Both very different but both fab!

Now I rarely have any problems with either and I think that is down to practise, practise and more practise!

Keep your chin up, relax and be confident. Good luck. X

Thank you so much for your advice! Think I will invest in another gel system, also brisa lite to use alongside shellac on weaker nails. X

I love my gelish. I have artistic & gelish and 9 times out of 10 the colours chosen are gelish. They are all on the same colour pop fan but gelish colours more popular. I believe u can cure gelish in a shellac lamp but the harmony lamp is sooo quick i think its worth the investment!

If your application is correct and the client's nails are appropriate for Shellac, then it has to be aftercare that is not being adhered to. You can only educate and share the knowledge, they have to be responsible for the upkeep and then when these factors are all in place Shellac will last up to and beyond the suggested 14 days.

Latest posts

Back