Newly self employed issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djd

Reaction score
Hi I’ve recently gone self employed hairdressing after 12 years of being employed, agreed with the owner a weekly amount and what that would include and to sort my own insurance, then a few weeks before I was due to start they bought in a new range of products we had to use and gave us options of paying a certain amount extra each day to use them all or to buy ourselves I chose to supply them myself as couldn’t afford the extra as just starting up after maternity and getting clients back, now they are saying I have to pay the extra instead as it’s not fair on the stylist that pays the extra even though I’ve still got all of my own stock they asked me to buy is this right?! Had a very heated meeting with them where they would not budge even though they admitted it was their fault (they have never owned a salon but were previously self employed themselves) just want to know if they can do this? Thanx

Last edited:
I have told them they can’t tell me what I can and can’t use as I’m running my own business even though 80% is what they have asked me to use one client didn’t like the products and had to re wash her hair and other products I use my clients purchase them from me as these are the same I used when I was employed all branded good products but they say they want to be a branded salon and it won’t fit there brand and maybe to drop a day so I can afford to do it but then I risk losing clients on that day I only do 3 as it is

...but they say they want to be a branded salon and it won’t fit there brand and maybe to drop a day so I can afford to do it but then I risk losing clients on that day I only do 3 as it is

They are doing this all wrong. If they want to set up a brand, they must EMPLOY staff. There are no half measures.

If you are self employed, they are just your landlord and you’re an independent business owner operating within the salon.

If they continue to insist on you following their rules, you must report them to HMRC for trying to create a sham employment situation.

Thank you for your help

Latest posts

Back