Nice reasonable holidays?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANGELPIE

Reaction score
Hi I'm after some advice. So I have only ever been abroad twice when I was at school to Disneyland Paris, I have never flown either. So I am after a little help next year I would like to go abroad with the husband & two year old (so no long flights) but I always hear so many people getting excellent deals! I wondered where u would recommend to go? Where I can find excellent deals on family holidays & whether it's best to book early or look at a last min holiday?? Hope u can help me thank u x

What sort of holiday are you after? Sightseeing, lazing by pool, beach, lakeside, mountains, city, activity, child stuff (ie disney) do you want childcare, how hot / cold do you want it to be, hotel, apartment, all inclusive, caravan/mobile home, tent? ........

What time of year do you want to go?

Any reason (other than you having not flown before), why you dont want long flight?

There are millions of suggestions as to where you could go, but without knowing your specifications, a suggestion would be bit difficult.:confused:

Look forward to trying to help when you post above answers xxxx

Sorry may have helped if I posted that!
We would like to go in a school holiday (I teach at a college) somewhere warm but not to hot (still enough to get a tan) would be nice and a family holiday with lots of activities we can do with Ethan (2 year old son) but I would like childcare for perhaps one afternoon. Wouldn't like a long flight as Ethan gets very bored quickly and becomes a nightmare. When in the year would depend on prices I suppose??

A family resort location would be good we wouldn't mind whether caravan etc but I like the sound of all inclusive maybe???

Get loads of brochures. Theres also a magazine you can send away for called Trailfinders www.trailfinders.com which can do some good hols. Wherever you decide to go make sure you visit tripadvisor online as this can give great info on whatever hotel you choose.

For a nice family orientated holiday you could look at camping/mobile home type holiday in France - you could even drive there if you didnt want to fly. Eurocamp and keycamp holidays spring to mind for this. VERY child friendly, but unless you go south, not always reliable re sunshine.

Otherwise most european resorts would probably be ok. I'm a big fan of portugal, but it does get very hot in summer, and as its on the Atlantic and not the Med, the sea is rather cold. Loads of friends with young children like Majorca, but I've not been there, sure other geeks could help.

I'm so excited for you! There's nothing better than planning a holiday :) Go through all the brochures, decide where you like, then research on net, as you may get the same holiday loads cheaper. Once you have a few places on the shortlist, check out www.tripadvisor.co.uk to read other travellers' feedback on both the resort and the specific hotel. (I tend to ignore feedback from usa travellers tho as they seem to set their standards rather higher than european resorts can match - no offense meant to US geeks :eek:)

At the moment, it would seem that the earlier you book the better deal you get, although you can still get some late minute bargains. However, with a youngster in tow, I would recommend booking early to ensure you get the holiday you want.

Lastly, and this may not be too important for other people, but it is for me, check flight times (I wont travel in middle of night) and transfer times to resort from airport. You may not want a 2 - 3 hour transfer with your son after a 2-4 hour flight! Be wary of very short transfers tho, as it may mean you under a flight path!

Do any of your friends, family or acquaintances have a timeshare anywhere that they would be willing to rent to you. In my experience timeshare resorts are usually quite nice but you would then need to book flights, transfers etc independently and wont have the use of a rep.

Sorry for long ramble, but hope this helps a little. Good luck. xxxx

Thank u so much for your help my brain is going ten to the dozen can't wait to get cracking will keep u all posted x

hi,i know you mentioned abroad but centre parcs is lovely and family orientated :)

Latest posts

Back